Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> batteries and cold?

Reply New post
Message Subject: batteries and cold?
jeffo
Posted 11/14/2003 3:51 PM (#88109)
Subject: batteries and cold?

Hey Guys-

I am wondering if i keep my batteries in my boat and store it outside will it be ok if i just plug in the onboard charger in once a month. I have a minnkota 3 bank charger hooked up to two deep cycle and one starter. i have the charger hooked up to all my batteries, so they all will get a charge just wondering if the extreme temps will shorten the battery life!

Thanks!

jeffo

Shep
Posted 11/14/2003 5:08 PM (#88111 - in reply to #88109)
Subject: RE: batteries and cold?

Jeffo,

The cold will not hurt your batteries, as long as they are fully charged before you put the boat up for the winter. Cold temps actually suppress the autodischarge that batteries have. I leave my charger plugged in all winter, and have not had any problems.
GregM
Posted 11/14/2003 6:31 PM (#88115 - in reply to #88109)

is it still important to keep the charger plugged in all the time if they are charged fully first and the "auto discharge" is minimal??
Shep
Posted 11/14/2003 7:33 PM (#88128 - in reply to #88115)

Greg,

I don't think you need to keep them plugged in all the time. I do, and you may want to, because our digital motors draw some from the cranking battery. Before I had an on board charger, I would fully charge my batteries, and then disconnect them from everything. Button her up over winter, and they were good to go the next year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)