Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Scavange???

Message Subject: Scavange???
tomcat
Posted 5/8/2003 3:54 PM (#69492)
Subject: Scavange???

So, now i'm loaded up w/ 10 different stink baits for the year....(ha ha, just talking about the big IA fish)...
So, a huge predator hits a ball of crap...what????????
Do musky scavange more than we think? What do you guys think..do muskies eat other stuff beside meat? i'm not sure what is in stink baits, but...tomcat
Sponge
Posted 5/8/2003 7:14 PM (#69510 - in reply to #69492)
Subject: RE: Scavange???

I was thinking about that a few days ago TC; I think the W.VA. record was caught on a bobber/worm combo. Perhaps there was a bullhead checking out the bait maybe? Hard to tell for sure. Maybe they're like many peeps when it comes to eating grits; they gotta be daggone hungry to eat something. Personally, I can eat a bowl after Thanksgiving dinner!
ToddM
Posted 5/9/2003 9:08 PM (#69684 - in reply to #69492)

I think musky eat dead fish during the winter and early spring. Probably alot of gamefish do. It's all about opportunity.
WV Musky
Posted 5/12/2003 6:53 PM (#69917 - in reply to #69492)

sponge your right. the state record for wv was caught by an old lady fishing for bluegill. caught on a bobber and worm using a zebco reel..gotta love it.hehe. it was 50 inches and 49lbs...
shawn
MJB_04
Posted 5/13/2003 7:59 AM (#69959 - in reply to #69492)

We all know pike are just as willing to eat dead bait as live. A large musky knowing that it would use far less energy to eat a dead fish then eating a live one would probably eat a dead food source given that chance.
tomcat
Posted 5/16/2003 9:26 AM (#70396 - in reply to #69959)

OK guys, we non pro's agree that muskies would probably eat deadfish, but what about a glob of $hit?? a damn stink bait? i wonder if the kid was reeling it in when and the fish hit it? or did a 50" musky really suck up a ounce or two of some catfish stink bait?? makes me wonder.
tomcat

Edited by tomcat 5/16/2003 3:20 PM
ToddM
Posted 5/16/2003 9:07 PM (#70471 - in reply to #69492)

I know a kid that caught a musky on a chicken liver. I also know of guides who use chicken liver for large stripers. Odd but it works.
Sponge
Posted 5/17/2003 5:38 AM (#70482 - in reply to #69492)

Depending on the severity of the winter, shad will at times have a massive die off, and the shad that get sucked through dam turbines really draw fish in the rivers below. Todd is right; find a school of rocks and drift chicken livers through them. Maybe if we knew the brand of bait the little dude used and the ingredients, that would possibly help to a degree. My guess it contained a blood base.

Posted 5/21/2003 4:22 PM (#71000 - in reply to #69492)

They eat painted wood and plastic, metal, hair, and spinners. Atleast stink bait has a natural texture of some sort and smell...BR
Fish-n-Freak
Posted 5/23/2003 11:03 AM (#71237 - in reply to #69492)

I have heard a few BIG fish caught on crawlers, and many caught on Dead Smelt or other Dead Bait. I also remember seeing an episode of Roland Martin's where he would spray "Catfish Formula" scent on his shiners when Bass fishing.

I would have to figure that if a Big Muskie had the chance at a FREE meal, no work to suck up a chunk of stink, she would take the free food. Many big fish spend the spring feasting on winter kill.

I don't plan on stinking for Skie's anytime soon, but on those tough days??????

Steve
Esoxmasquinongy
Posted 5/25/2003 2:25 AM (#71349 - in reply to #69492)

Muskies feed on bullheads read the flowage study on forage of wi muskies you will be suprized and yes they hit dead bait video tape confirms this!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(feed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments feed.jpg (42KB - 420 downloads)
crazycanuck
Posted 11/2/2003 9:17 AM (#86646 - in reply to #69492)

Depending on geographic location and type of lake/river, crayfish can be a large part of a muskie's diet. Try throwing a large jig 'n pig.....you may be surprised. This pattern works extremely well on pressured fish at all times of the year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)