Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Question for the muskie fly fisherman

Message Subject: Question for the muskie fly fisherman
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/12/2018 9:43 PM (#909821)
Subject: Question for the muskie fly fisherman

What weight rod do you typically use for muskie and pike? I typically don't fly fish but I do mess around with it a little. I think it would be interesting to give it a shot for pike and muskie. I found some rods on sale for really cheap but the heaviest rod they have is a 8 weight. Will that work for some of the smaller and mid sized muskie flies? I'm not looking to get to serious with it but I figured I'd give it a try.
Cabbage Patch
Posted 6/12/2018 10:32 PM (#909825 - in reply to #909821)
Subject: RE: Question for the muskie fly fisherman

It would work for starters with a good sink tip line. There are some good options in 10 wt rods which is what most people use for pike and Muskie. Readington has a reasonably priced 10 wt that people like. I highly recommend Gloomis short sticks at 7'11" it really packs a punch and serves as a great topwater bass rod in cover frog patterns and larger hair poppers. The rod is where you would want to spend the money and get a reel that can hold the amount of line required. Just my 1 cent worth.
Nomadmusky
Posted 6/12/2018 11:17 PM (#909827 - in reply to #909821)
Subject: RE: Question for the muskie fly fisherman

I've been fly fishing for Muskies since 1985. I by no means am an expert, but here are my experiences.

I favor an 8 wt and I wade rivers mostly for them, or from a canoe. I find that the 8 wt let's me cast without pain or fatigue all day. (I have quite a few 8wt rods) One thing you will find out is that each one casts differently even if you have the same model in a 6wt or 10wt there can be a wide variety of differences in how they handle the fly's and fight. Over time you will find one that matches your style of fishing and the flies you throw, how haul or double haul, (it's best you learn that right away).

I have a 9wt and several 10wt's as well. My favorite probably is an old Powell AXS 9wt that feels like an 8 on my arm, but punches a big fly like a 10. I got lucky on that one.

My recommendation is don't fall into the trap of having to have the perfect fly or perfectly tied fly etc... Just fish. I tend to "Smallie fish" for Muskies. What I mean by that is don't oversize your fly, (that's very popular right now), until or at the time you need to, ie… have a fish spotted, coming to a good spot etc... Plus I catch a lot of good sized Smallies in the meantime, with quite a few over 20" and that sure makes the day go by faster.

If you use a textured line, you may want to have a glove or finger tabs. I've cut up my hands on good days, from wet hands getting raw from stripping the line while fighting a fish through my fingers. It's worth it at the time but don't eat salted fries on your way home, your hands will scream!

Pick up some bunny fur strips, a couple Janie's Flies, and a couple others that catch your eye and have fun.

Nomad
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/13/2018 12:16 AM (#909830 - in reply to #909821)
Subject: Re: Question for the muskie fly fisherman

Thanks guys. What kind of line would you recommend? And what do you use for a leader? Wire or floro?
Flambeauski
Posted 6/15/2018 11:25 AM (#910013 - in reply to #909821)

I like 9 or 10 weights, unlike the previous guy I muskie fish with moderately large flies, smallies don't seem to care and i feel like i get more responses from neutral muskies.

Like the previous poster said, every rod is different but most 10 weight rods will throw around a 400-430 grain sink tip line, nine weights 350-400 grain.

There's as many leader styles as there are fisherman, i typically run a foot of 12-15lb mono off the fat line, 5' of 50lb fluoro and 8-10 inches of Toothy Critter coated wire, so it goes 15/50/wire. The 15 will break before your fly line, the 50 probably won't, so if you get hung up you lose the leader but don't wreck your fly line.

If you do go big with flies make sure there isn't much marabou on there, that stuff triples the weight of the fly and takes the enjoyment out of casting.
Musky_Mo16
Posted 6/15/2018 12:35 PM (#910017 - in reply to #910013)

Here's another question for y'all. Do you guys ever do a figure 8 with the fly rod? Or is there anything else you do? The lake I'm thinking about trying this at seems like the fish always follow and hit on the 8, they rarely seem to hit during the retrieve.
FlyPiker
Posted 6/15/2018 4:03 PM (#910024 - in reply to #909821)

I'm just trying it out for the first time this year too. Here's a link to one vid that I found helpful but have not put into practice as of yet.

https://youtu.be/Sn26LyWETYw

Good luck to you.
Landonfish
Posted 6/15/2018 5:44 PM (#910029 - in reply to #909821)

I have a buddy that guides in Alaska for monster pike and he uses an 11 wt. rod
TannerAE
Posted 6/16/2018 10:48 AM (#910051 - in reply to #909821)

ive never done it but i have watched my dad do it religiously for the past 7 years. A 10+ is imperative from what i have seen. and yes, do figure eight after every cast, they hit just as much on the eight on the fly. the biggest peice of advice i can give you is utilize the subtilties of the fly. fly fishing for musky will never be as effective as gear but if you use it at the right times you can fulfill a niche that gear cant.
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 6/16/2018 3:47 PM (#910061 - in reply to #909821)

I use a 10 and a 12. Everyone's situation is unique. Where you fish, what are the size of the fish, and what are the size of the flies you fish. Try to fish with another fly fisher. That would cut down the learning curve for you. If you can, hire a guide for a day and listen all day. The guide in the video is Kip Vieth. He is a wonderful guide and can greatly increase your knowledge and skill set in one day. I suggest to friends, who want to chase Muskies that they do a float trip for smallies first. You need to get your technique down and your decision making. Trying to do that with a 10 weight your first time can leave you worn out and frustrated. Let us know how you are doing. As you can see, there are many wonderful people on this site and they are willing to share.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)