Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Wire line trolling

Message Subject: Wire line trolling
Juhas
Posted 1/8/2018 6:16 AM (#889152)
Subject: Wire line trolling

Anyone still doing this, using wire line for trolling?
horsehunter
Posted 1/8/2018 7:25 AM (#889154 - in reply to #889152)
Subject: Re: Wire line trolling

I set up a rod 2 years ago and never got around to using it till this past Sept when I took a friend out. As he didn't bring any of his toys so I put out 3 rods with braid and the wire rod ( 2 each on the Larry ) . Long story short we took 2 high 40's both on the wire rod . I haven't used it since that's how smart I'm not. My buddy Hoser uses wire a lot in Georgian Bay when he's banging the tops of rock shoals. Some feel that the vibration of the wire is an attractant others use it to attain depth with a shorter lead but I don't think at lead lengths we use in comparison to trout and salmon guys there is much difference to braid. I know i will play more with it next season
Yep
Posted 1/8/2018 7:16 PM (#889241 - in reply to #889152)
Subject: RE: Wire line trolling

We started implementing solid wire line about 9 years ago. It's by far the number 1 producer out of the spread. It's really important when speed trolling. Vibration, sound, or whatever -- makes a difference. Make sure to add a twili tip to the tip of your rod. Otherwise, wire line will end up bending and becoming weak without it. Good luck Todd
horsehunter
Posted 1/8/2018 8:13 PM (#889248 - in reply to #889241)
Subject: RE: Wire line trolling

Yep - 1/8/2018 8:16 PM

We started implementing solid wire line about 9 years ago. It's by far the number 1 producer out of the spread. It's really important when speed trolling. Vibration, sound, or whatever -- makes a difference. Make sure to add a twili tip to the tip of your rod. Otherwise, wire line will end up bending and becoming weak without it. Good luck Todd

What position and lead length does the wire run in your spread?

I asked Mike Lazarus who I know uses wire frequently when trolling if it was sound, vibration or the extra depth attained. He replied that it might be as simple as first bait through. I was running it as one of my 2 down rods fairly short by St. Lawrence standards. My other two rods were on inline boards.
Yep
Posted 1/9/2018 11:30 AM (#889300 - in reply to #889152)

Hey Frank, I've used it in every scenario. I do find running it less than 20 feet of line out is very productive. No matter what the depth. So, this could justify Lazarus claim of first bait they see. When I had braid short lined, I didn't get a strike one day. I switched to the wire and caught three and the same line length. It could of been a feeding window etc. I know it doesn't hurt, so I always run it know. I personally think it works better at speeds above 3.5mph. I've used it in the fall in Gananoque, but obviously at lower speed. The braid produced more than wire over the years in late fall.
Yep
Posted 1/9/2018 11:33 AM (#889301 - in reply to #889152)

fol on the wire is longer, but still the first bait they see. So, maybe a vibration thing--I will figure it out the day before I die.
danlaboucane
Posted 1/9/2018 11:35 AM (#889304 - in reply to #889300)

what size wire ?
horsehunter
Posted 1/9/2018 1:20 PM (#889324 - in reply to #889152)

I think mine and Hosers is 45
horsehunter
Posted 1/9/2018 1:22 PM (#889325 - in reply to #889152)

Todd are you running wire direct to the bait or are you using a leader?

Edited by horsehunter 1/9/2018 1:25 PM
backdraft
Posted 1/9/2018 7:24 PM (#889344 - in reply to #889152)

Tillie Tip - better yet roller guide rod if you a serious.

Wire Line w/ dipsy divers used to rule the spread on L. Michigan for salmon. Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll give it a go for muskie. A smooth reel is needed in this application. Yes, use a 3' trolling leader
horsehunter
Posted 1/10/2018 7:28 AM (#889385 - in reply to #889344)

backdraft - 1/9/2018 8:24 PM

Tillie Tip - better yet roller guide rod if you a serious.

Wire Line w/ dipsy divers used to rule the spread on L. Michigan for salmon. Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll give it a go for muskie. A smooth reel is needed in this application. Yes, use a 3' trolling leader

Dipseys are "normally" run on stranded wire (7,9,or 19 strand) I believe most people trolling for muskies or stripers run solid stainless or monel
Yep
Posted 1/10/2018 8:27 AM (#889391 - in reply to #889152)

60 lb solid wire--Yes, use a 3-4 ft. leader connected to a heavy 3 way swivel--to wire. Helps with weeds or use a straw with slits in it.
supertrollr
Posted 1/13/2018 2:43 PM (#889684 - in reply to #889152)

best one is monel,with guides and a spring door stop at the end.good for short line,make sure you add plenty of drag because it can be a real disaster if it's too tight,that wire have zero stretch.it shine for short line or when you want to troll with lures that can be trolled at the depth you want whit braided like.make sure you always have you clicker on when your line move out or your wire will be good for trash can and it's very expensive
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)