Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Winter Boat Storage

Reply New post
Message Subject: Winter Boat Storage
Tahoe
Posted 7/6/2003 8:49 PM (#75108)
Subject: Winter Boat Storage

I was curious to find out if anyone stores there boats outside in these harsh winters we have in MN/WI! If you do, do you cover the engine with something special?

I'll probably never store it outside as I figure I have invested all this money, why not store it for a little extra cash!

Curious minds want to know!
Tyler Campbell
Posted 7/13/2003 8:54 PM (#75765 - in reply to #75108)
Subject: RE: Winter Boat Storage

I'd store it indoors if possible. I just can't imagine investing the money we do into our rigs and then leave it out in the elements all winter. I did it once and will never do it again. It's worth a few extra bucks in the long run.

Good fishin',

Tyler Campbell

Ranger
Posted 7/14/2003 10:55 AM (#75831 - in reply to #75765)

No matter where you store, be sure to put plenty of moth balls in the boat! Keeps most critters out, especially mice and spiders. A half dozen in each of a few dixie cups will do the trick. Put the dixie cups all over the boat, including lower compartments.
Ranger
Posted 7/14/2003 8:18 PM (#75880 - in reply to #75108)

Here's a tidbit that Dennis sent to my house. I don't doubt his experience a bit, he's got me thinking about keeping the moth balls in my old truck through the winter....

7/14/03

Ranger ,
Just saw your post regarding moth balls .There is a component
of the moth
ball chemistry that destroy different rubber products .My chest
waders were all right
but the straps on waders deteriorated .Hip waders were all right but
a pair of
plain rubber boots were no good after being in the area .

Dennis Flaherty

Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 7/16/2003 8:16 AM (#76014 - in reply to #75108)

Try Bounce dryer sheets instead of moth balls. They work nearly as good and you don't have a stinky boat in the spring.
Pepper
Posted 7/22/2003 2:45 PM (#76554 - in reply to #75108)

I used moth balls ever year since I had a colony of mice take up residence. You think the moth ball smell is bad. They lived in ever cubby hole they could find. The good news is they didn't eat the wiring. Bounce dryer sheets does sound better then moth balls. I never noticed any damage for the moth balls.
onelastcast
Posted 7/22/2003 8:45 PM (#76591 - in reply to #75108)

I also use mothballs and have not had any problems with critters/insects or any adverse side effects from the mothballs themselves. I put about half a dozen in little pouches made from pantyhose, tie them tight and hang them inside each storage compartment and underneath my pro poles. Seems to work well.
davep
Posted 7/29/2003 4:09 PM (#77316 - in reply to #75108)

Not wanting the moth ball smell, i went with the bounce sheet thing and have had no problems with it yet. even having it stored in a farm qwanset hut.
RK
Posted 7/30/2003 10:00 AM (#77371 - in reply to #75108)

Hiya,
I've stored my boat in a straw bale filled barn (read: mouse city) for the past three years. Filled the thing with a couple boxes of dryer sheets scattered around the floor, and the only 'critter problem' I've had was my nephews swiping the bungie cords that hold the cover on to make snowball launchers. Dryer sheets do the trick on mice, and they don't make your boat smell like an old lady's closet...

Cheers,
RK
Sponge
Posted 7/30/2003 9:39 PM (#77441 - in reply to #75108)

Are you guys using the scented Bounce sheets?
kevin
Posted 9/4/2003 8:55 PM (#80652 - in reply to #75108)

Tried mothballs last winter, either didn't have enough or cats just don't care. Spent one weekend at car wash hosing the cat pee out...I'll take the spiders any day over the cats. I store my boat outside in Indiana(Kuhn lake on barbee chain), have not had any problems yet. Only winter not stored there was outside in Chicago. I have a canopy over it to keep some of the snow off but that is it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)