Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> when does the oxygen come back?

Message Subject: when does the oxygen come back?
ToddM
Posted 4/4/2003 11:44 PM (#65953)
Subject: when does the oxygen come back?

OK, say you have a lake that depletes or becomes very low in oxygen over the wintertime. What exactly puts oxygen back into the lake? Generally weeds won't develope for a bit, so is it the melted ice? Rain? waves? What gives the water it's intitial boost of oxygen after the ice is out?
firstsixfeet
Posted 9/9/2003 7:50 PM (#81053 - in reply to #65953)
Subject: RE: when does the oxygen come back?

Wind. Wind.

If you are interested in O2 you should also note that the summer thermoclines in some lakes are deserts below that level. Currently(September 2nd) Cave Run has no 02 below 20-23 feet. Thats right, it shows zero oxygen from 25 feet down. It will take wind and cooling weather to remix it. In the meantime, it pens the fish up in the 76 to 80 degree water on top.
GregM
Posted 9/10/2003 2:03 PM (#81123 - in reply to #65953)

Is that how you got your monicer? You concentrate on the top 6 feet of the water column, due to fishing thermoclined lakes in your area??

always was curios....
firstsixfeet
Posted 9/12/2003 10:18 PM (#81421 - in reply to #65953)

not exactly, but on the other hand you won't find me with baits below that level very often, but in regards to the warm water I quit fishing down here at the 78 degree mark or thereabouts, I am ready to start again with the dropping temps if we can just get a cloudy day or a little rain goin...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)