Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> When to throw Topwater

Message Subject: When to throw Topwater
T3clay
Posted 3/3/2017 3:45 AM (#851967)
Subject: When to throw Topwater

To those of you they keep logs and try to establish patterns I'm curious as to when you reach for your topwater baits? I don't fish topwater much because I don't have a ton of confidence in them. I have caught fish and moved a lot of fish on top Waters, I just rarely feel like they are the best option. But i also feel like im missing oportunities. So if there are certain conditions times of year or water temperatures that you feel topwater will out produce other baits im curious when that would be.

My go to topwaters are hog wobbler(all black) and jackpot.(yellow belly)

I also have top dancers (navy blue) and a top raider (baby loon)

I hear so many good things about top raiders but i have never moved a fish with mine.

Thanks for any help
wallygator
Posted 3/3/2017 5:54 AM (#851971 - in reply to #851967)
Subject: Re: When to throw Topwater

From ice out .... to freeze up... and put your Nimmer Swimmer Wolly Pog on..
14ledo81
Posted 3/3/2017 7:09 AM (#851975 - in reply to #851967)

I think topwater can also be an excellent bait to throw at a located fish at a later time.
I would always suggest going to back to fish that were moved during the day and throw a topwater at them at dusk.
Musky Brian
Posted 3/3/2017 7:34 AM (#851979 - in reply to #851967)

June through early September is normally when I use prop baits like a TRaider. Generally like prop baits in flowages/timber, and over thick weeds.

Some guys I know do really well early in the spring throwing the slow big profiles ones like the Hawg Wobbler.

Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/3/2017 7:47 AM (#851987 - in reply to #851967)

Not necessarily a time of year thing for me except I don't throw them in late fall. I throw them to complement another bait that's being throw ahead of me, such as a bucktail. Night time is great because you can get into shallow cover without getting hung up on rocks or weeds.
FlyPiker
Posted 3/3/2017 2:17 PM (#852045 - in reply to #851967)

If I have multiple guys in the boat one of us will have a topwater on right up until turnover type temps. I love them because you get aggressive fish, and what otherwise would be negative or neutral fish. Those lazy fish usually won't bite, they just want to see what in the world is going on, you then know what structure they are hanging out on and you can come back during a better window.
bigbite
Posted 3/3/2017 2:47 PM (#852049 - in reply to #852045)

Everything FlyPiker says is true! My son caught a 49.5 inch Musky Oct. 31st. on a Musky Buster surface lure.

Edited by bigbite 3/3/2017 2:48 PM
tomcat
Posted 3/3/2017 3:10 PM (#852055 - in reply to #851967)

T3Clay, you might be better info if you people knew which state or providence you fish. However, there are some basic guides lines that will help.
In the spring, when water temps raise above 55 degree, walk the dog top waters are great. They will be effective on baron (empty) flats, weed flats, and on breaks that have weeds. I normally put these away in the heat of the summer, unless i'm on a shallow water bite of if you targeting shallow structure. (rocks, reefs, midlake humps with weeds). If fishing a shad a based lake, walk the dog topwaters can get a ton of action in open water (25 to 60 feet of water).

in late summer, early fall, once the water temp his 65, hog wobbles and pacemakers and top raider do well until the water temps hits about 50 or 49 degrees.

these are just basic guidelines and every thing is situational to the lake you are fishing.

Edited by tomcat 3/3/2017 3:12 PM
T3clay
Posted 3/3/2017 8:40 PM (#852084 - in reply to #851967)

Thanks everyone, very helpfull info, i fish Mn and western Wi
Jeremy
Posted 3/3/2017 9:20 PM (#852089 - in reply to #851967)
Subject: RE: When to throw Topwater

Tanner, no mater what these other guys say, I ONLY throw topwaters when I can start my outboard. Other times it doesn't make any sense...

You don't have much confidence in them? I remember back 30 yrs when I thought exactly the same thing. You make me feel old now....*G*

Yer in for a nice surprise!!
T3clay
Posted 3/3/2017 9:48 PM (#852093 - in reply to #851967)

Well i picked up a fat bastard at the expo today, going to force myself to throw that along with the others mentioned!
Fishysam
Posted 3/4/2017 9:51 PM (#852200 - in reply to #851967)

Water temps 60+ and the key for me is when there are white cap type waves. Any calmer and I don't get results. But my dad slow rolling painfully slow has a few on nice days. My thoughts are the same as an article I read about tail prop baits being so loud that unless it's rolling waves it's to loud. Also when the lure dives through the waves is when I get hit. I saw a follower 100' out in 2' waves cause his back was breaking the surface as he chased it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)