Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Are These All the Same Baits?

Message Subject: Are These All the Same Baits?
Marley420
Posted 1/5/2017 7:23 AM (#845151)
Subject: Are These All the Same Baits?

So I have been doing some research on shallow running solid crankbaits/twitchbaits. Other then maybe sizes and colors offered, aren't they pretty much the same type of lure? Is their presentation that different to one another? Shallow Raider, Slammer, Grandma, Flatstick, Double D, Jakes, Czar Series and Twitchin Smity are the lures that I was looking into. Some of the lures I can be saving $6.00 to $8.00 for the same size and weight and roughly a similar color. Thanks
Zib
Posted 1/5/2017 7:35 AM (#845156 - in reply to #845151)
Subject: RE: Are These All the Same Baits?

I have owned Jakes, Grandma's. Shallow Raiders & Slammers. The Jake's & Grandma's are pretty close in how they swim. The Shallow Raiders have a bit more tail kick. I wasn't a fan of the Slammer due to tuning plus it leaked. I don't own a Storm flat stick but my buddy has a few & they have more belly roll than the others I mentioned. I can't comment on the others as I've never seen them in action.
Will Schultz
Posted 1/5/2017 11:06 AM (#845183 - in reply to #845151)
Subject: Re: Are These All the Same Baits?

Buoyancy from one to the next can make a huge difference A 10" Jake and a 9" Grandma (current Grandma not m-9) may look the same but are completely different tools. The same could be said for most of those when compared to each other. The DD is in a class all its own, though the DD looks like a crankbait and can perform like a crankbait, it's really more similar to a glider when worked correctly.
mm3
Posted 1/5/2017 7:51 PM (#845230 - in reply to #845151)
Subject: RE: Are These All the Same Baits?

Some of those baits are very similar. The Double D, as mentioned in the other post, is different though as it is close to neutral buoyancy and will suspend more than the other floating/diving lures in your list.

There are a lot of baits that you could make this same argument with: topwater walk the dogs, glide baits, dive and rise etc. It doesn't make sense (or dollars and cents) to get them all. So, find brands that you like and use them. Also, saving 6 to 8 dollars a bait up front may not always work out in the long run if the lure has a tendency to crack, a loose lip out of the box, or a clear coat the peels off like babybel swiss cheese wax after several years.
muskymartin67
Posted 1/5/2017 8:27 PM (#845236 - in reply to #845151)

This reply is not about any of the baits you mentioned, just a general response that is my personal opinion , If you are looking to save $6- $8 per lure this may not be the sport for you. Just saying I have always been a firm believer in buying the best tackle you can afford, so buying more baits of lesser quality is setting yourself up for failure in the future big thing is always quality over quantity in my opinion I am sure there are people that will disagree, but yet there will be plenty that agree with me also. Basically what I'm getting at is you are better off getting 2 quality baits than 3 of lesser quality for the same price and no, they are nothing alike, almost every lure out there even thou similar in appearance has its own unique action and has its time and place
wild
Posted 1/6/2017 6:18 AM (#845258 - in reply to #845236)

Agreed... I'd rather have less baits of higher quality then more baits of less quality... confidence on the water is key, when you fish higher quality baits you have a little more of an edge I would say...IMO
Marley420
Posted 1/6/2017 6:52 AM (#845259 - in reply to #845151)

Thanks for the replies. When I brought up the issue of saving money, I was also trying to find out if there is a quality issue. I wish some of these retail websites would have a reviews for these lures.
tkuntz
Posted 1/6/2017 9:24 AM (#845274 - in reply to #845151)

There are a couple quality issues in some of the baits you listed. BUT, the one with the biggest issue also happens to be extremely effective if fixed to not fill with water. Not ideal, but I still have use for them as they are effective tools
backdraft
Posted 1/8/2017 2:20 PM (#845425 - in reply to #845274)

Slammers - leaking/

I always thought they were solid, one-piece.

My Believers leaked, they replaced them. Those leaked, too.

Backdraft
NPike
Posted 1/9/2017 6:09 PM (#845576 - in reply to #845425)

You really can't but twitch (or Jerkbaits such as the double D ) in the same category as crankbaits. A double D can be fished on a straight retrieve but is most effective (for me) when fished as a jerkbait. A double D is supposed to although I've had to tune them a bit for perfect horizontal suspension.
ToddM
Posted 1/10/2017 7:21 AM (#845601 - in reply to #845151)

Baits are tools. Yes some are similar but most are different in some fasion. I used to buy dam there one of everything when i first started out. Understanding baits and how they work is a key now that i use to buy a potentually better tool or one that fits a situation i want to use it in. I am no longer i buy into the craze person. It is ok to be frugal. I wait for reels to go on sale or buy used ones. Swap meets and buying lures used is a good way to save money. If you see a lure you want keep an eye out. I have 16 hughes river glidebaits. I think i bought two of them new at 40 bucks the rest are used and paid less than that. I would never pay the crazy prices you see some people asking for them. I own 4 calcutta te reels, never paid more than 200 for one. Be patient and be ready to pounce a deal.
tkuntz
Posted 1/10/2017 8:05 AM (#845604 - in reply to #845425)

backdraft - 1/8/2017 2:20 PM

Slammers - leaking/

I always thought they were solid, one-piece.

My Believers leaked, they replaced them. Those leaked, too.

Backdraft

My slammers have never leaked. I am talking about a different twitch bait, bigger company, paint problems also.
tyler k
Posted 1/10/2017 12:21 PM (#845632 - in reply to #845151)

Flatsticks have a much slower rise than the others (except the DD which is kind of a different category anyway). Shallow Raiders work the shallowest and I like them best for working through weeds, I think the square bill kinda cuts through the weeds when worked properly. Grandmas don't rattle. Jakes have huge rattles. Lot of variables...

My favorite is the Grandma personally.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)