Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Tracks on a budget...

Reply New post
Message Subject: Tracks on a budget...
Randy
Posted 1/10/2017 6:24 PM (#845676)
Subject: Tracks on a budget...

I currently have short rails on my rig and would like to go to a track system. I prefer rails but, I'd like to cover up the holes from the rails so I'm thinking tracks are the way to go. Obviously, berts, cisco, traxtech, are all worthy but, are there any other versions out there for the budget conscience better half?

Edited by Randy 1/10/2017 6:28 PM
mtcook16
Posted 1/10/2017 8:07 PM (#845684 - in reply to #845676)
Subject: Re: Tracks on a budget...

I know that Cannon makes track systems and rod holders too.
danlaboucane
Posted 1/11/2017 6:27 AM (#845698 - in reply to #845676)

just looking iinto that right now and pretty much same price as the others . try to find good used ones ! and from what i found out a quality system will last a long long time !
7ovr50
Posted 1/11/2017 6:49 AM (#845700 - in reply to #845676)

Cisco. Best of the best. Air craft Aluminum. I've had mine for years. Nothing better. Would not risk my equipment trolling by using an after market brand. It may cost more in the long run if you loose a rod and reel because of equipment failure. Good Luck

Edited by 7ovr50 1/11/2017 7:00 AM
anzomcik
Posted 1/12/2017 6:17 AM (#845780 - in reply to #845676)

Hi I am a dealer of Cisco, Traxtech, and Muddy Creek. When it comes to the actual track, all of those brands are so similar that they are practically the same thing, I mean literally the same.

As far as budget track, I am unaware of any that exist.
Randy
Posted 1/12/2017 9:26 AM (#845799 - in reply to #845780)

That's all I need to hear. I can show her this and tell her, "I told you so!" Lol. Thanks!
7ovr50
Posted 1/12/2017 4:38 PM (#845853 - in reply to #845676)

Traxtech requires that you purchase end caps to keep the holders from sliding out the end of the tracks. Cisco uses stainless Allen screws that are supplied with track and all necessary bolts, washers and locking nuts. All stainless steel. I don't know if Traxtech supplies hardware.

Edited by 7ovr50 1/12/2017 4:39 PM
Jeff Hanson
Posted 1/13/2017 10:09 AM (#845952 - in reply to #845853)

I have never put the end caps on my traxtech rails and never had a problem I have used them for a very long time.
Traxtech also supplies hardware to mount to your boat.
If you are at any of the musky shows (Ohio, Kentucky or Milwaukee) check out the Traxtech display in the Muskie Train/ Stealth Tackle booth. Tell them I sent you they will give you a show special price.
If they don't have what you need at show Traxtech will ship it for free.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 1/13/2017 10:10 AM
Randy
Posted 1/13/2017 10:21 AM (#845955 - in reply to #845952)

Jeff Hanson - 1/13/2017 10:09 AM

I have never put the end caps on my traxtech rails and never had a problem I have used them for a very long time.
If you are at any of the musky shows (Ohio, Kentucky or Milwaukee) check out the Traxtech display in the Muskie Train/ Stealth Tackle booth. Tell them I sent you they will give you a show special price.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Awesome! Thanks Jeff. I'm going to try and make milwaukee.
horsehunter
Posted 1/13/2017 8:51 PM (#846055 - in reply to #845955)

You might want to check out Trojan Tackle . Dave makes quality stuff and your Yankee dollar might buy a lot in Canada. I would watch the salmon boards good used tracks are showing up all the time. If you just want to cover bolt holes round head nylon carriage bolts in white or black don't look to unsightly.

I have tracks but really like rails and will be having a set made to fit my tracks as soon as the shrink wrap comes off in the spring

Edited by horsehunter 1/13/2017 8:55 PM
7ovr50
Posted 1/14/2017 5:13 AM (#846073 - in reply to #845952)

Jeff Hanson - 1/13/2017 10:09 AM

Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Before I made my choice between Cisco and Traxtech I talked to the Traxtech rep at two shows. The rep never mentioned that the system could be used with out end caps. End caps were necessary for the system to work properly. When the estimate was written up the End Caps were added in as essential. Might have been his opinion I don't know but no option to omit them was offered. When I asked why they were added on he said I would be risking loosing my equipment with out them and. Again maybe his opinion I don't Know. Cisco came complete with no "add ons" so that was the determining factor in my decision to go with Cisco.

Edited by 7ovr50 1/14/2017 5:21 AM
horsehunter
Posted 1/14/2017 7:40 AM (#846081 - in reply to #845676)
Subject: RE: Tracks on a budget...

Randy - 1/10/2017 7:24 PM

I currently have short rails on my rig and would like to go to a track system. I prefer rails but, I'd like to cover up the holes from the rails so I'm thinking tracks are the way to go. Obviously, berts, cisco, traxtech, are all worthy but, are there any other versions out there for the budget conscience better half?

If you prefer rails why do you want to remove them .

You can have rails that will fit in tracks if it's a case of removing to fit boat cover. I had planned on having rails made to fit my tracks but a week or so back someone posted about putting nylon washers in his Downeasters giving the same rod movement as rails so I will try that first. Currently I use downeasters mounted on Scotty swivel bases which are removed and replaced with downriggers when fishing trout. Ahead of that I have 3 foot tracks for board rods. To me the end caps defeats the quick change option I've never seen anything properly set in the tracks move.

Chemi
Posted 1/14/2017 8:11 AM (#846084 - in reply to #845676)

I just cut some stainless 1/4-20 socket-head cap screws very short and put them in the holes at the ends of the track. The screws prevent anything from sliding out, and cost next to nothing.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
($(KGrHqR,!jgFEg8q1K1RBRMNReHh6Q~~60_35[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments $(KGrHqR,!jgFEg8q1K1RBRMNReHh6Q~~60_35[1].jpg (8KB - 386 downloads)
Randy
Posted 1/14/2017 8:40 AM (#846087 - in reply to #846081)

horsehunter - 1/14/2017 7:40 AM

Randy - 1/10/2017 7:24 PM

If you prefer rails why do you want to remove them .

You can have rails that will fit in tracks if it's a case of removing to fit boat cover. I had planned on having rails made to fit my tracks but a week or so back someone posted about putting nylon washers in his Downeasters giving the same rod movement as rails so I will try that first. Currently I use downeasters mounted on Scotty swivel bases which are removed and replaced with downriggers when fishing trout. Ahead of that I have 3 foot tracks for board rods. To me the end caps defeats the quick change option I've never seen anything properly set in the tracks move.

I have short, (18") rails. I'd like to go bigger but, I'm afraid if I order the "ranger style rails" from cabelas, the holes won't line up. I really don't want to leave holes in the "glass" that I can't cover. Make sense?
horsehunter
Posted 1/14/2017 9:11 AM (#846097 - in reply to #845676)

So I see your in Wisconsin Land of Dairy and Cheese lots of fabricators that work stainless get a set of rails custom made to cover the old foot print and use some of the old holes. Probably cheaper than rails. I worked 38 years at a Cheese company here in Ontario a lot of my toys were made in our shop or by our suppliers we called it government work.
Randy
Posted 1/14/2017 9:21 AM (#846100 - in reply to #846097)

horsehunter - 1/14/2017 9:11 AM

So I see your in Wisconsin Land of Dairy and Cheese lots of fabricators that work stainless get a set of rails custom made to cover the old foot print and use some of the old holes. Probably cheaper than rails. I worked 38 years at a Cheese company here in Ontario a lot of my toys were made in our shop or by our suppliers we called it government work.
That's a good idea! Sheesh, my buddy is the lead maintenence guy at a cheese factory. He welds stainless everyday. Duh! Lol

Oh, and that canadian cheese just can't be as good as sconsin cheese...
horsehunter
Posted 1/14/2017 9:33 AM (#846102 - in reply to #846100)

I really meant to say cheaper than tracks but i see you understood.With a good welder once it's polished you would never know it wasn't all one piece.Make sure before you start where your extended mounts are going to go and you can get at the underside of the gunnel ( Use backing or fender washers.

But i would never trade our cheddar for yours. I'm partial to 5 year old white.

Edited by horsehunter 1/14/2017 9:43 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)