Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> deep water Musky casting?

Message Subject: deep water Musky casting?
NPike
Posted 10/2/2016 8:53 PM (#832045)
Subject: deep water Musky casting?

Got a nice Musky casting a triple-D in 25 to 30 FOW. nowhere near the weedline. Saw some fish surfacing and stating casting and bang. Wondered if any other had had luck with deeper water casting.
sworrall
Posted 10/2/2016 8:57 PM (#832046 - in reply to #832045)
Subject: Re: deep water Musky casting?

Think of it this way...35' is exactly twice the length of the OFM Lund. Not really that great a distance, when you look at it above the water.

I get 'em deep on creatures pretty regularly.

DonnieHunt37
Posted 10/3/2016 7:37 AM (#832063 - in reply to #832045)

Steve the CREATURE man.... taught me more about CREATURE fishing than ANYONE!!!

Keep in mind, this time of year, water temps start to cool on the top, and down a few feet it is still warm. Some muskies LOVE the warmth... I've caught MANY fish over deep water basins in 35-50 feet, casting baitfish schools. The baitfish aren't moving shallow quite yet!! They will soon though!!!
sskittles
Posted 10/3/2016 9:12 AM (#832077 - in reply to #832045)
Subject: RE: deep water Musky casting?

There is a good article on this very issue in the latest In-Fisherman. Can be a great strategy if done right.
14ledo81
Posted 10/3/2016 10:43 AM (#832092 - in reply to #832045)

How about deep water when there is no open water forage (cisco, shad, etc.). Anybody have luck with that? And what do you look for? Structure topping out deeper than what you "normally" fish?
Lake Of The Woods
Posted 10/3/2016 5:09 PM (#832174 - in reply to #832045)

Definitely consider trolling over deep water with crank baits anywhere from 20 to 50 feet in areas where there are steep drop offs.Big fish like to suspend over these areas as they wait to sabotage schools of shad,herring or any other deep running forage fish that a particular body of water might have.I have caught Muskie in 50 feet of water while down rigging for Lake Trout,...the big ones sometimes like that deep cool water in the summer months as well as during the fall months when the surface temperatures decrease but the thermocline stays warmer.

Also try live White suckers on a double treble hook rig.I put one hook through the snout and one between the dorsal and tail fin.Usually use a 6" to 8" Sucker and just let the line out so it gets down to 15 or 20 feet and leave the reel in open spool mode.I put it in a rod holder and just use the wind to drift the boat over deep water towards shallow reefs,humps or rock pile preferably associated with some still green aquatic plants.The fish will pick up the bait and swim off with it for a bit while it turns the Sucker head first into it's mouth.This takes a minute or so then I slowly pick up the rod,turn the reel handle to close the spool and crank the hooks home.
ImpactFishing
Posted 10/3/2016 7:34 PM (#832194 - in reply to #832045)

I fish a small 125 acre clear water lake in northern Wisconsin where the main forage is perch and walleye. When the sun gets high I've had good luck counting down buck tails 10 seconds over 20-30 fow. They're out there, just have faith.
ulbian
Posted 10/3/2016 10:26 PM (#832212 - in reply to #832045)

There are bunch of discussions on this site about it. I echo what Steve said that 35ft isnt really that deep in the bigger picture. That fish couldve been a roamer as opposed to a basin dweller. This afternoon I encountered two fish that were over 60-65 feet of water.
sworrall
Posted 10/3/2016 11:20 PM (#832215 - in reply to #832045)

I fish deep quite a bit.

I just got my first shipment of a hundred yellow Fliptail Creatures while we were in Mississippi covering/live streaming the Crappie Masters Championship for BassProShops 1Source...500 more still coming. These are the original Creatures Mary Stembridge/Fliptail Lures built for me a VERY long time ago (late 70's through early 80's) except I had them make the plastisol a little stiffer for better durability, the Pike slam 'em too. Glad to see them back!

Donnie, been awhile since anyone but Billy Lindner (he never 'forgot' either) has called me the 'Creature Man'. Blast from the past for sure!

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/11.11.2005/982/Of.Jigs.and...
Musky952
Posted 10/4/2016 11:50 AM (#832253 - in reply to #832045)

So do you guys only fish really deep when there is structure close by? I guess I am just a little confused because this "cold front" weather people have been saying they are up shallow (which they are in my case because I put one in the boat and almost another the next day in very shallow water). Can I troll very deep this time of year? or should I wait for the water to drop below 60?

Trolling up on mille lacs this past weekend after spending a bunch of time on the breaks and shallows with nothing to show for it. After trolling for about an hour we picked one up in about 24ft off of a point. I guess you shouldn't always follow the rules all the time. In our case we did everything with nothing to show for it and trolling was our only other option since we didn't have live bait.
DonnieHunt37
Posted 10/4/2016 1:04 PM (#832279 - in reply to #832045)

If there was anything the Creature Man taught me, it was PATIENCE my friend, PATIENCE!!!! Muskies, as a rule, are LAZY!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)