Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW - Opener/Late June

Message Subject: LOTW - Opener/Late June
PredLuR
Posted 9/5/2016 3:51 PM (#829498)
Subject: LOTW - Opener/Late June

Starting to get ideas and after 15-20 years of going up anywhere from late July to Sept, our group is thinking about changing it up a year and going around the opener next year. Moon phase hits pretty good that time of year however I've been doing some research and there are mixed reports of good or bad. Obviously the #1 factor is whether it's a late/early spring as that most likely dictates everything. The August bite has been fair however we have found the bigger fish to be so spread out or moved out to open water. No complaints however I was curious as to ppl opinion on those last few weeks of June and if there really is no different (other than focusing on bays/ spawning areas) than the rest of the year and just hoping for good weather. Fishing out of Morson area...

Edited by PredLuR 9/5/2016 3:54 PM
Matt DeVos
Posted 9/5/2016 6:36 PM (#829503 - in reply to #829498)
Subject: Re: LOTW - Opener/Late June

Although its been awhile, I've done several trips right around opener/late June/early July. In my experience, finding fish is relatively easy. As you noted, basically find the spawning areas and fish adjacent structure. We never had problems locating fish...but getting them to bite was another matter. Finicky fish seemed to be more the norm (as compared to mid/late summer fishing). But yeah, you pretty much nailed it as to weather....it's a major factor. Stable, warming trend could make for some good fishing but a big cold front this time of year could really make things tough.
Musky Brian
Posted 9/6/2016 8:33 AM (#829524 - in reply to #829498)

I wouldn't do it if I only had one trip, too risky in my opinion. Pretty much agree with everything Matt said. I will add in that while you can still catch nice fish, and occasionally even get a giant as it transitions out, the overall average size is going to be much smaller on eaters. Also if the bigger fish haven't found their way to the rocks yet, that takes away a lot of your arsenal in spot selection. I do however like the week around the 4th of July, I think that is underrated.
musky1969
Posted 9/6/2016 11:36 AM (#829551 - in reply to #829498)

Last 2 years did the last week of June and will not do it again in that time we caught lots of fish but nothing over 42" not what I am going to Canada for. We could not find the the big girls as hard as we tried " 24 years going to the Woods" I am going later and later in August to beet the crowed and am happy with how it is turning out !!
Darren
PredLuR
Posted 9/6/2016 12:06 PM (#829555 - in reply to #829498)

Appreciate the info guys, goes a long way into making the call.
IAJustin
Posted 9/7/2016 9:59 PM (#829709 - in reply to #829498)

June is bad don't go (tongue firmly in cheek)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)