Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Quantum Iron 300

Message Subject: Quantum Iron 300
Cedar
Posted 7/2/2016 11:51 AM (#822545)
Subject: Quantum Iron 300

Looking for info/opinions from anyone using or has worked on a Quantum Iron 300 baitcaster. Not a lot of reviews out there. Considering a 6.4:1 for an 8'6" MH Predator. I have a Quantum EXO 300 on a lighter Musky/other species rod that has performed well. The Iron seems to be a little stouter, and was curious if anyone has used one for Muskies, and what your thoughts were. I have several NaCl's, but just considering something different. Thanks for the input.
smithy97
Posted 7/22/2016 8:04 PM (#824587 - in reply to #822545)
Subject: RE: Quantum Iron 300

I have the iron 300 in the 6.3 ratio on a 7'6'' heavy st croix mojo musky. Its a great reel, very underrated. I was very surprised at how easy casting it is; its very hard to backlash this reel unless you are intending to. The drag is solid, and cast control works very well. I keep my brakes on about halfway, and then never touch them again. I use this reel for smaller bucktails (it does pull in 10's, but I don't wanna burn it out), big plastics, and topwaters. Overall I would recommed getting one, its very underrated and performs great for a reasonable price.
Hope this helps.
AndrewR
Posted 7/25/2016 11:44 AM (#824841 - in reply to #822545)
Subject: Re: Quantum Iron 300

Very awesome reel and in comparison with the EXO 300 it's built much much stronger and better. Great drag and gear system. The finish could be better but internals make up for that.

Depending how you plan fishing it, the 300SPTP with power handle is a favorite and my recommendation for all purpose. Great reel for bombing rubber, gliders, and topwaters. I do use it for cranking blades but mainly 8's, mag 8's, and smaller 9's. Anything beyond that and it's not fun to force the issue.

Being made for saltwater I wish they made one with a lower gear ratio in the 4's or 5's for better cranking and power.
Cedar
Posted 7/25/2016 6:31 PM (#824922 - in reply to #822545)
Subject: RE: Quantum Iron 300

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)