Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> NON-Natural Colors

Message Subject: NON-Natural Colors
TheShow
Posted 6/28/2016 10:14 PM (#822161)
Subject: NON-Natural Colors

I ran into an old timer last week at the launch in Oneida County... he was complaining about not finding any walleyes; I then shared I was frustrated about not boating any muskies. He ended the conversation with 'just throw purple bucktails'.

As I drove away I shook my head because I don't have any purple bucktails and only a couple other baits with any purple in them. This is now the 2nd lake I've heard guys say purple can be a good color. I've heard pink can work well on some lakes in Vilas County.

I basically only throw natural stuff - perch, walleye, sucker patterns etc. Should I expand my inventory of Non-traditional color patterns? Are there any color combinations or conditions you guys would recommend going Non-natural?

Thanks!
Show
T3clay
Posted 6/28/2016 11:01 PM (#822165 - in reply to #822161)
Subject: Re: NON-Natural Colors

Last week I had a upper 40s pushing 50 up to the boat 4 times in an hour, 3 times on an orange and purple bait, and again on a green and silver bait. Never did get her to eat (I was fishing a tourney and ran out of time)

I have to force myself to throw different (bright) colors but since I stated I have been putting more fish in the boat.
muskie! nut
Posted 6/29/2016 7:36 AM (#822182 - in reply to #822161)

What the heck do these fish know? They hit a lure made of a couple of rotating discs of metal. And you expect these fish to only hit natural colors?
TheShow
Posted 6/29/2016 7:36 AM (#822183 - in reply to #822165)

T3clay - 6/28/2016 11:01 PM

Last week I had a upper 40s pushing 50 up to the boat 4 times in an hour, 3 times on an orange and purple bait, and again on a green and silver bait. Never did get her to eat (I was fishing a tourney and ran out of time)

I have to force myself to throw different (bright) colors but since I stated I have been putting more fish in the boat.

Are you throwing brighter baits with success in all different conditions? I usually only throw the super bright stuff in dark water. I prefer colored blades on a bucktail during over cast or low light conditions. Unpainted silver/brass during the day. But again maybe I should change up the rut I'm in.
jaultman
Posted 6/29/2016 9:19 AM (#822206 - in reply to #822161)

You could paint life-like fish eyeballs on the blades, cover them with actual fish scales, and use real mallard feathers for a skirt, and a bucktail will still look nothing like natural prey.

I don't think a realistic look has any advantage for a musky bait.

Some color patterns for bucktails (skirt/blades) that have worked really well for me:
green&black/chartreuse
white or pearl/orange
blue/silver
black/silver
rainbow/copper

None of those resemble anything natural.

Crank baits and rubber are the only things that ever really look much like real baitfish. And still, with those, very unnatural colors do just as well as life-like patterns, it seems.

Edited by jaultman 6/29/2016 9:25 AM
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 6/29/2016 12:49 PM (#822234 - in reply to #822161)

I was onto a bite Sunday evening fishing a purple/gold bucktail fast. 3 fish up.

Edited by JakeStCroixSkis 6/29/2016 12:49 PM
Zinox
Posted 6/29/2016 3:09 PM (#822249 - in reply to #822161)

I fish for Euros big pike, and as you most natural colors, but several days where the natural colors fail, the super bright orange and chartreuse seems to trigger the fish, and also big ones, especially on some of the super super clear water lakes i fished.
Landry
Posted 6/29/2016 5:02 PM (#822263 - in reply to #822161)

I used to think like that. Then my buddy started schooling me on super bright orange, pink... baits in clear water. I now throw naturals, blacks and crazy bright lures equally. Of course in dirtier water I tend to throw blacks and oranges but natural colours have worked enough in muddy water to mess with my ideas on dirty water lures.
Crazy fish.
North of 8
Posted 6/30/2016 10:39 AM (#822343 - in reply to #822263)

It took me a while to accept that the bright lures do work. One opening day, I was throwing a black buck tail and my son was using a walleye colored shallow invader. After about an hour, he switched to a fire tiger colored shallow invader that he bought at a musky show. Shortly after that he boated a musky just over 40. I switched to an orange spinner and lost one and moved three other fish, all within 15 minutes.

I still use a lot of black lures, but also bright or white lures as well.
FlyPiker
Posted 6/30/2016 11:16 AM (#822350 - in reply to #822161)

roy g biv. Purple (violet) remains purple longer than say green remains green in the same conditions. I've really started to like contrasting colors on my baits, fire tigers, blue and orange, etceterra. The end of the color spectrum gives them something to see at distance and as they come in for a closer look the colors near the beginning of the spectrum become clearer and make them more curious. I've found purple to be my go-to color on stained steelhead waters too for that reason, huzzah color theory.
kdawg
Posted 6/30/2016 4:12 PM (#822394 - in reply to #822350)

Watching shark week on the Discovery makes me question how do you know if muskies are attacking these lures to eat them? What if the fish is just giving a lure/color it rarely sees an investigative bite, or attacks just to kill it, because they don't know what it is. Obviously when a musky hits a sucker, I believe the fish is intending to eat it, that's why we all use quick strike rigs to prevent the fish from swallowing a hook. But lures that don't look like anything natural, I believe they want to kill it. Kdawg
Emptynet
Posted 7/4/2016 12:43 PM (#822673 - in reply to #822161)
Subject: RE: NON-Natural Colors

Black & Orange bucktails are a staple for fishing dark water and on overcast days. I wouldn't leave the dock without a couple.
Randy
Posted 7/4/2016 1:30 PM (#822675 - in reply to #822673)
Subject: RE: NON-Natural Colors

Guessing it was a stained, weedy lake. Probably full of bluegills. Purple with gold blades, resembles gills, very well... Hmmmm, still natural???
sworrall
Posted 7/4/2016 2:17 PM (#822677 - in reply to #822161)

There is no 'natural' paint job. Not one. There is not one single lure that has any 'natural' action, either. Even a sucker rig is far from 'natural'.
NPike
Posted 7/4/2016 2:33 PM (#822681 - in reply to #822677)

In lakes where the main bait is perch I use perch colored jerkbaits and swimbaits in lakes where the main bait is alewives I use silver it seems to make a noticeable improvement. However for spinners, etc. I use non-natural colors figure.
T3clay
Posted 7/4/2016 3:09 PM (#822688 - in reply to #822183)

I tend to throw brighter colors more mid day and during bright conditions, if water is really clear I still have a hard time throwing bright colors but I don't fish many clear bodies of water
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)