Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Great Lakes and Lurking Monsters

Message Subject: Great Lakes and Lurking Monsters
MuskieJim
Posted 2/3/2016 2:35 PM (#802855)
Subject: Great Lakes and Lurking Monsters

Cabin fever is sinking in and my days are spent daydreaming about the Lake Erie giant that is swimming somewhere offshore from Cleveland. This spring I will be trying for her again and have some new baits for the arsenal. Looking at the map here (http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14500.shtml), I am able to name at least one giant producing fish factory from each of the Great Lakes except for Lake Superior. For example:

Lake Ontario - St. Lawrence River
Lake Erie - Buffalo Harbor
Lake Michigan - Green Bay
Lake Huron - Georgian Bay

Let's face it, there's muskies in virtually every body of water that touches the Great Lakes and they likely contain the next world record. If you were going to target fish on the closest Great Lake to you, where would you go? Here in OH we don't have any closed season, so spring time is a calling.....
hunterjoe
Posted 2/3/2016 2:42 PM (#802857 - in reply to #802855)
Subject: Re: Great Lakes and Lurking Monsters

Well, both ends of Superior have skis in them. Giant Tiger out of Duluth a few years back and I know the St. Marys river has them.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/3/2016 5:23 PM (#802873 - in reply to #802855)

I talked with a guy who fishes the Duluth area while I was in Duluth a week and he thought the problem with the Duluth area is that there is such an abundance of bait right off Canal Park. No need to chase the smaller bait in the harbors when there are other options. There are still people who still fish the harbor, they just keep quiet now, and know when and where to fish em. Throw in the lack of stocking the St. Louis and it's frustrated the guys I've talked to up there. Add in the years of no stocking Island Lake Reservoir and that whole issue, but that's a separate issue. My buddy who got me into muskies fishes salmon and trout off of canal park a lot and felt that guys explanation was probably right.
bbeaupre
Posted 2/3/2016 5:45 PM (#802877 - in reply to #802855)
Subject: RE: Great Lakes and Lurking Monsters

St louis river has some nice fish in it, which means that lake Superior must have a few. Chequamegon bay puts out a nice fish every once and a while too.

Edited by bbeaupre 2/3/2016 5:48 PM
14ledo81
Posted 2/3/2016 7:20 PM (#802892 - in reply to #802877)

bbeaupre - 2/3/2016 5:45 PM

St louis river has some nice fish in it, which means that lake Superior must have a few. Chequamegon bay puts out a nice fish every once and a while too.

Chequamegon Bay? Are you sure?

I have seen some real nice pike, but never hear of any muskies caught.
FlyPiker
Posted 2/3/2016 11:00 PM (#802929 - in reply to #802855)

I had heard that the floods around Duluth a few years back destroyed the St Louis as far as Muskie habitat / spawning goes. I'm going to guess some stocking would be necessary to jump start the population once the vegetation and such establishes itself again, if it hasn't already. Here's hoping they can rebound, that tiger someone mentioned earlier was a fatty for sure.
roughfisher
Posted 2/4/2016 10:01 AM (#802957 - in reply to #802892)

14ledo81 - 2/3/2016 6:20 PM

I've seen one Musky with my own eyes caught in Chequamegon, about 36" I'd say. They are in several of the Tribs so I assume it just wandered out following bait. Hard to say if there is a permanent population
North of 8
Posted 2/4/2016 10:05 AM (#802958 - in reply to #802892)

I believe Keys did a show on Chequamegon Bay a few years ago, but I can't remember how they did.
Flambeauski
Posted 2/4/2016 11:58 AM (#802967 - in reply to #802855)

Keyes fished the Bad River. A few make it over to The Bay like Roughfisher (Tony?) said, but not many. Once the netting started in the 80's it pretty well wiped out the low density population that was there.
I talked to DNR official that said a commercial fisherman netted a nice one out in the islands last year, and Jim Hudson said he used to hear of maybe 1 being caught a year by accident. Certainly not a fishable population, I've fish there a lot and I haven't seen one (besides the pic of that 36") since about 1990.
roughfisher
Posted 2/4/2016 12:53 PM (#802975 - in reply to #802855)

yep it's Tony, I wander into the forum occasionally... I haven't made back to the Bay since moved though. One of these years.

Edited by roughfisher 2/4/2016 12:54 PM
14ledo81
Posted 2/4/2016 1:24 PM (#802979 - in reply to #802957)

roughfisher - 2/4/2016 10:01 AM

I've seen one Musky with my own eyes caught in Chequamegon, about 36" I'd say. They are in several of the Tribs so I assume it just wandered out following bait. Hard to say if there is a permanent population

They actually are not in the Tribs to my knowledge. They are in the Bad, but that enters east of Long Island (not the bay). The Tribs from the other side (Washburn), I am pretty sure do not hold muskies.

Like Flambeauski mentioned, they would pretty much have to move all the way around Long Island. Cold water (big temp difference from the river) over there.
Flambeauski
Posted 2/4/2016 1:26 PM (#802980 - in reply to #802855)

Always a spot in my boat for ya, roughfisher! Didn't miss much last year, everything showed up late, like mid-November.

There's a few in the Montreal and Amnicon, but they'd have to make a bunch of wrong turns to end up in the Bay.

Edited by Flambeauski 2/4/2016 1:36 PM
roughfisher
Posted 2/4/2016 3:24 PM (#802999 - in reply to #802979)

14ledo81 - 2/4/2016 12:24 PM

roughfisher - 2/4/2016 10:01 AM

They actually are not in the Tribs to my knowledge. They are in the Bad, but that enters east of Long Island (not the bay). The Tribs from the other side (Washburn), I am pretty sure do not hold muskies.

Like Flambeauski mentioned, they would pretty much have to move all the way around Long Island. Cold water (big temp difference from the river) over there.

Sorry I meant tribs of Superior, not of the Bay proper. So yes, Bad would be the closest, but (occasionally) fish do weird things. Finding one in the Bay would be a crapshoot though for sure.

Flambeauski - I heard last year was bad, maybe next year!

Edited by roughfisher 2/4/2016 3:27 PM
Cedar
Posted 2/5/2016 1:04 AM (#803069 - in reply to #802855)

Lake Superior is my choice. The MI waters off of the West half of the U.P., and some of the tributaries along there that feed the big lake. Some big fish swimming there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)