Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Phantom Tails Melting Into Finish

Message Subject: Phantom Tails Melting Into Finish
Mike D
Posted 1/30/2016 5:10 AM (#802042)
Subject: Phantom Tails Melting Into Finish

The plastic tail on a phantom melted deep into the finish of another glider I have. I’ve mixed manta’s, hell hounds and many other baits with soft tails and never had that happen. I haven’t seen that type of thing happen since the the old Mann’s rubber worms back in the 80’s. Not sure if the issue is the phantom tails or the damaged lure but assuming it's the lure finish. Has anyone had similar issues with phantom tails?
mm3
Posted 1/30/2016 8:14 AM (#802051 - in reply to #802042)
Subject: RE: Phantom Tails Melting Into Finish

I don't know if anybody is going to give you a chemical analysis or guarantee which tails do that and which ones don't. I will tell you though that a lot of tails/rubber will do that when laid on other lures. Some lures will even do it to themselves. This especially happens when they are new and the chemical on the rubber is fresh and abundant. Even if one lure type doesn't do that on a production run, who's to say something might not change in the future with its composition. Some lures seem to be more susceptible to damage than others (especially painted spinner bait blades). I always keep the rubber away from the body of the lure and other lures. Try to separate, hang down, keep tails from touching bodies, body-to-body, whatever... Why take a chance?
h2os2t
Posted 1/30/2016 4:41 PM (#802109 - in reply to #802042)
Subject: RE: Phantom Tails Melting Into Finish

A lot of soft plastics are basically pretty close to the same stuff(slight variations) and will do that on some plastics. It will melt into the plastic that the Mantas, Phantoms and HardHeads (other baits if made out of the same stuff and are numerous)are made of if not coated with something that they do not react with. It all depends on what the lure is made of or coated with and if the soft plastic came in contact with it for an extended time. I should add if the soft plastic is clear coated it will help stop the issue. Most if not all tails are not clear coated unless painted.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)