Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> casting and figure 8s out of an alaskan 1800 tiller

Reply New post
Message Subject: casting and figure 8s out of an alaskan 1800 tiller
buck16on
Posted 1/12/2016 4:18 AM (#799147)
Subject: casting and figure 8s out of an alaskan 1800 tiller

Has anyone casted and figure 8ed out of a Lund Alaskan 1800 that doesn't have a raised deck in the front and back and what was the experience like? You're obviously lower to the water as the boat floor is so deep but that also may create an angle due to the curvature of the bow sides and the thick sides in the back of the boat. Just like to know if adding a front and back casting deck is better.
Nershi
Posted 1/12/2016 1:32 PM (#799205 - in reply to #799147)
Subject: Re: casting and figure 8s out of an alaskan 1800 tiller

I have the exact boat. Mine is a 2001 I believe. I'm not sure if they've changed the design. The guy I bought it from was a Muskie guy and he built a removable casting deck for the bow. It works real slick. It isn't attached to the boat, it just slides in and out. It would be very easy for you to build. Let me know if you want pics and I can grab some the next time I'm out where it is stored.

You can stand on the back along the tank/storage compartments. It is difficult in any waves. It also causes the boat to lean pretty bad due to the weight on one side. My buddy bought a just encase that just so happened to fit perfect with the compartment height. You can stand on it in any conditions and the boat leans a lot less. I'll be investing in one before next season.
buck16on
Posted 1/13/2016 4:59 AM (#799314 - in reply to #799205)

Yes. Pictures of the removable deck would be very helpful. Thank you.
Nershi
Posted 1/13/2016 7:26 AM (#799322 - in reply to #799147)

Will do. I should be out there this weekend.

I guess I didn't answer your question. I have casted and done 8's out of the bottom of the boat and it is a pain. To fish effectively you need casting decks or boxes to get you up higher.
fishingfrenzy
Posted 1/15/2016 7:25 PM (#799801 - in reply to #799147)

I fished out of a 1998 SSV Alaskan for about five years - I would be more than happy to talk about it over the phone if you wanted to go into detail. I would agree on the front deck. I had made one of plywood that I could take in and out that worked well.
rocko
Posted 1/16/2016 9:00 PM (#799973 - in reply to #799147)

I have had an 18 ft Alaskan since 2005, and love it. I honestly have come too appreciate the lower deck. You are much lower for figure eights, and I feel it is a real advantage vs. a negative. You can easily get deeper and wider eights without as much effort or bending over as far. i have never seriously considered adding a deck because I simply prefer it now. I also think it helps when you have the net out. You just don't have to reach so far down.
buck16on
Posted 1/25/2016 10:34 PM (#801189 - in reply to #799322)

Did you ever get out to your boat to take pictures of the casting deck?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)