Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trailer winterization

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trailer winterization
double J
Posted 12/15/2015 10:10 PM (#796382)
Subject: Trailer winterization

I was wondering if anyone out there jacks up the trailer to get the weight off the wheels and suspension? I used some bottle jacks and put them behind my center of gravity to take a couple hundred pounds off the trailer. Is this a good idea or will I have problems later ? Also I have vortex hubs and was told they are good for 100,000 miles before I have to service them has anyone had any issues with these hubs? There is nowhere to grease them.
Propster
Posted 12/16/2015 12:02 AM (#796389 - in reply to #796382)
Subject: Re: Trailer winterization

I've been going through tires faster than I like, without putting a tonight of miles on them. I figure I'm borderline weight wise and yet I am restricted in size to a C rated tire. Can't get to a D or E on a bigger tire unless I remove the fenders. So this winter with fairly new tires on I've asked my bro in law to jack it up and put on jack stands for the winter. We'll see if there is any improvement after a couple years.
pklingen
Posted 12/17/2015 6:23 AM (#796475 - in reply to #796382)

i have a single axle trailer. at the end of the season i always jack my trailer up and put jack stands under it right under the axle where the leaf springs are connected to it. i use a small heavy duty piece of rubber conveyor belting on top of the jack stand so it doesn't bugger up the threads on the leaf springs u-bolts when i let it back down onto the jack stands. in the front i just let it sit on the dolly wheel, i just crank it up a little more to keep the boat level. i'm very anal about things and always thought about the weight sitting on those roller bearings and tires for months wasn't good for them. when i bought my boat new i also upgraded the trailer one size because they always sell them packages with a minimum trailer under it so the $ looks attractive. i figured what good is a great boat if i can't get it to the water and back safely. i also rotate my tire sides each year, and its worked great for me since 1988.

i wouldn't think letting it sit on hydraulic type jacks of any kind is a good move. they always over time bleed off and the jack will lower under the weight.

propster - have you ever had your axle checked for straightness, maybe bent somehow, even from just the weight? also try checking out the possibility of putting a heavier rated axle under it. just some thoughts. good luck, i hope you get it figured out.

Edited by pklingen 12/17/2015 6:30 AM
Propster
Posted 12/17/2015 6:54 AM (#796477 - in reply to #796382)

Yes, bad axle was my first thought a couple years ago after going through the latest set of tires rather quickly, so I brought it in and had them check the axle and spindles and they were good.
VMS
Posted 12/19/2015 7:11 AM (#796734 - in reply to #796382)

Hiya,

What would be interesting to know is the type of wear that the tires are showing...

If there is wear that goes diagonally across the treads, the issue may very well be an axle that is not in line with the trailer frame itself. If the axle is not in line with the frame, you would essentially be "scrubbing" the tires as they go down the road. You most likely would not notice anything, but the tires will show it dramatically after some use. Had a buddy who's axle was like this and after a year, his tires looked out of round...

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)