Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> If I were going to design a boat...

Reply New post
Message Subject: If I were going to design a boat...
Further North
Posted 11/10/2015 9:30 PM (#792101)
Subject: If I were going to design a boat...

A topic on another forum got me thinking...

I'd start with a bass boat layout...for me, it'd be 18 - 19 ft long, 150, 200 HP. 4 stroke...or maybe 2...I want quiet, good on gas, low operating costs. I don't need, or want more than that in the water I fish...don't need to go 70+ in a boat either, not on the NW WI, MN and Canadian water I fish.

It'd be set up to run shallow...but not be a PITA on big water like LOTW.

Aluminum hull for me...to many BAMF rocks where I fish...and it's lighter to pull with a smaller vehicle...which saves me $$$ on MPG for the 90% of the time I'm not pulling my boat.

I'd take the two side consoles, shove them into the middle so I could easily work around the outside of the boat for both casting and lading bigger fish. This would sacrifice a center rod locker, but it'd open the potential for really long rod storage along the outsides of the boat...I fish for Musky...and I fly fish a lot...so 9 ft. + rod storage would be good.

Seating for three or four? Don't need it. Rather have the under-deck storage.

That would move the outside storage to the center...and there'd be more of it, because rod tips don' take up that much room.

I'd rig the boat for 36 volt trolling motor...go 24 if you want, but I fish too many long days in current to give up my 36 volt system. Three batteries, low and center would get it done for that. Two more batteries, one for the motor, one for the electronics would round out the batteries...too bad they don't make a 5 bank charger...so a 3 bank and a two bank would get that done.

No live well for me, I don't keep fish (this isn't a life-style statement or a criticism, I'm alergic). Convert that space to storage.

Electronics...big screen at console, mall one up front. Big stuff stuff grabs fly lines. That's bad on my boat.

Retractable or collapsible rope cleats, see above, re - fly lines.

A shallow water anchor on one side at the back, Humminbird 360° on the other. No kicker...I don't care for trolling.

Trailer...single axle, bunk style, side guides, two spares, steps as far around the outside as I could get. 15" wheels, minimum.

I'd love to see what others would do...let's not bash other guys' choices, just talk about what trips our triggers and why.
jvlast15
Posted 11/11/2015 7:09 AM (#792128 - in reply to #792101)
Subject: Re: If I were going to design a boat...

Alright North, I'll bite.

Ideally I would have a glass boat in the 19-20ft range. I, like you, do not need to go 70 mph on the water so I would probably power it with a 200 yamaha 4 stroke. I would need a trolling motor, however. So a 9.9 kicker linked with the main motor would be a must. I troll probably 25% of the time, but thats enough to warrant a trolling motor in my mind. I think this set up alone would be enough to get me on any waters I would want to be on...both big and small. Since I still got one side of the big motor to use, throw on a 12' talon as well.

The layout would be pretty straight forward as well. I would want it to be a large front casting deck with a relatively small cock pit that has enough room for 3 people to ride. I typically fish with my father and brother, and although I love the guys, I am not going to sacrifice room for their comfort. So I am going single console (your idea of throwing the console in the middle of the boat is tempting) to make sure I have enough room for my custom Just Encase box as a front deck extension. To help maximize space saving, I would want a storage system for my musky net. Something like the new YarCraft tillers have would be pretty sweet I think.

As far as electronics, I would want two screens on the console so I can always have mapping, side imaging, and sonar going all at once without making each too small to see. Up front, I would want a bigger screen with side imaging, because when I am up front I am casting and I think side imaging is the most useful tool when doing this. 100+ thrust trolling motor up front (I am not picky which brand) and everything would be linked to work together. This means I need a 3-bank and 2-bank charger.

Storage would be the big thing for me. I really like your idea of replacing the large live well with additional storage. I do not need a 50" live well because I only keep a couple 15-17 inch walleye every now and then. So I would want a small livewell up front and that is it. The back livewell can be converted into a storage box for mag dawgs, big cranks, and other big baits that do not fit in a Just Encase box very well.

Rod lockers need to be 9' long. I would only need a center rod locker that fits about 8 sticks. I only have about 5 musky set ups, and I have a about 3 walleye set ups.

Other than that, I would probably want the trailer to be a dual axle, because I go on longer trips and it just seems to be a smoother ride with a lot more peace of mind.

The only other thing I would probably throw on the boat would be a nice wrap to protect it from rocks/other debris when traveling. Want it to keep looking nice!

Edited by jvlast15 11/11/2015 7:11 AM
smalljaw
Posted 11/11/2015 8:40 AM (#792130 - in reply to #792101)

I would create a glass version of the new Lund Pro-V Bass (pedestal seat model). Kind of like the x-190 - but I'd give up some length to be a little wider to have larger side tanks to lay rods out on the sides. Would have to move the gas fill to the front or back and not on the side that blocks laying out rods for easy access. Basically, a bass/muskie boat layout with the little deeper V to handle the occasional chop.

Would run my Humminbird at the helm and put an iPilot Link/Ulterra off the bow to have spot lock and "follow the contour." Up front a Garmin with Panoptix. I want to start seeing fish out in front as I go into high percentage spots - are they there? Or move on.

Some how have a ready-made out of the way place for at least one, maybe 2 nets. (1 bass, 1 muskie). Yar-craft has done this with the new big tiller - the net slides into the front console and out of the way for easy access. If you could do that for at least the muskie net, I could live with the bass net laying around.

And lastly, no maintenance oil hub bearings for the trailer. Its just me, but I don't like having to remember to grease them twice a year...

Edited by smalljaw 11/11/2015 8:45 AM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 11/11/2015 10:22 AM (#792138 - in reply to #792101)

I found mine already built, just have to figure out way to pay for it w/o wife finding out! Maybe have to change the name, maybe not...........hmmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.galatiyachts.com/used-viking-yachts-for-sale.html/2013/V...

Have fun!
Al
Fishysam
Posted 11/11/2015 11:01 AM (#792143 - in reply to #792101)

I would take a warrior 2090 hull- reason is the dead rise is very flat in the transom almost pad like but it's just rounded, but the bow is very steep and forward so it slices into waves also at 90 inches wide the ride is so much better though rough stuff.

Now as far as lay out goes it would resemble a bass boat but with a smaller back deck about 36 inches and a monster front. 5o gallons of fuel in the bilge with two batteries in front of the fuel under the center storage bench seating with two buckets and center padded carpet for the third seat. Underneath the seats put the three remaining batteries and two chargers. Two 20 gallon livewells/ coolers / trash cans, two storage areas and a hatch to get to the engine bolts and pumps all in the back deck. (Small storage bins can drop in the rigging area for drift socks/tool)

Front deck has a cooler center step and three large doors for rod storage and modular tackle storage like ranger boats. Padded front deck.

Obviously a large humminbird on bow and 2 8-10" SI birds on dash. Two tallons on back. Fortrex and terrova link on quick plates. Four seat bases. 2 normal bass locations and two at the rear of the front deck between the three doors. Creature comforts like flush cleats and normal tool holders in by the cooler and recess, nav lights built into bow etcetera. Tandem trailer for sure I drive to many miles to like single.

Very similar to rangers new 522d just 20' not 22'7" and shrink the rear deck and quit putting the cooler forward of the cockpit.

Edited by Fishysam 11/11/2015 12:49 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (69KB - 419 downloads)
Further North
Posted 11/11/2015 9:40 PM (#792200 - in reply to #792101)

Interesting thoughts and some diversity in choices...there's some stuff to think about here.
ande
Posted 11/12/2015 6:44 PM (#792324 - in reply to #792101)

Fishysam,

You just drew and described the Warrior 208XR. Huge front deck. Side Rod lockers will hold a 10' rod I think.
Fishysam
Posted 11/13/2015 7:54 AM (#792367 - in reply to #792101)

Yeah they didn't use a walleye hull. They lost a lot of freeboard. I think it matches that 2090 side console from the boat adds on this website
PSAGuy
Posted 11/16/2015 9:46 AM (#792660 - in reply to #792101)
Subject: RE: If I were going to design a boat...

Simple....I'd take my Ranger 620 and simply make the step up to the casting deck a little easier with a mid-step.
That's it.
The boat is as close to PERFECT as I could ever imagine.
The bass boat idea would not work for me. Bass boats are really rough on large Canadian lakes like Lake of the Woods. Had 2 of them.....really good ones. The difference with this boat is dramatic !!

It's a keeper. (That step would be nice tho for us stumpy legged guys !)

Edited by PSAGuy 11/16/2015 9:48 AM
jvlast15
Posted 11/16/2015 11:31 AM (#792680 - in reply to #792660)

What do all of you think about the new ranger bass boat that is a Deep V? The Z522D I think.. Would that not be the best of both worlds? If you can stomach the price tag..
smalljaw
Posted 11/16/2015 12:28 PM (#792689 - in reply to #792680)

jvlast15 - 11/16/2015 11:31 AM

What do all of you think about the new ranger bass boat that is a Deep V? The Z522D I think.. Would that not be the best of both worlds? If you can stomach the price tag..

Be nice if they offered the same with the 1850. Smaller size but smaller price tag too ~
Fishysam
Posted 11/16/2015 8:56 PM (#792768 - in reply to #792101)

I like the 522d a lot. But would rather it be 20' not closer to 23'
PSAGuy
Posted 11/17/2015 10:51 AM (#792820 - in reply to #792680)

Not for me. It's a bit gimmicky in my mind. It does offer bass-only fisherman a way to handle big water better. But quite frankly, the 620/621 already do that TODAY magnificently. Not sure where the real benefit is in the new design.
The key difference is the ability to move around. In the 522, the boat has a big casting deck in back, but little ability to carry more folks. In the 620, there is room to walk around etc. If you want a 620/621 to have a huge rear deck....simply bolt in the rear extension. But when you want to fish 3 or 4 guys from this 522.....good luck. In the 620/621, fishing 3-4 guys is a breeze.

One man's opinion.

Edited by PSAGuy 11/17/2015 10:54 AM
Will Schultz
Posted 11/17/2015 11:25 AM (#792827 - in reply to #792101)

Don't have to, they built it finally. The Nitro ZV-18 is the perfect boat. It's plenty fast with three people and a 150 four stroke but great on fuel. Super wide, fishes and rides as good or better than any 20-21 foot boat I've been in. Big front deck and ample back deck but still a huge cockpit to make trolling comfortable. The only negative I've been able to find is the grab rails are the worst design ever, they catch everything including rods. I would have one today if I could find $40k.
sworrall
Posted 11/17/2015 11:39 AM (#792832 - in reply to #792101)

I spent a few hours in walleye pro Tim Pizzi's Z18. Really a nice ride.
Further North
Posted 11/17/2015 7:23 PM (#792912 - in reply to #792101)

Great stuff...This is why what works for one fisherman isn't the best choice for another...I see some comments above about fishing with three or four people...that's one or two more than I want to fish in the same boat with.

I spent a week on Lac Suel in '14 with three guys in each boat every day and almost went out of my mind. Too many people, too much "stuff" for me.

I like the bass boat layout fo rme - lots of deck, lots of below deck storage, wide, sable fishing platform...but I see why folks like other things.

Edited by Further North 11/17/2015 8:23 PM
BNelson
Posted 11/18/2015 8:54 AM (#792995 - in reply to #792101)

I'd like to see an updated 690... wider, maybe 96" wide, bigger/wider front deck.. I like how they built the compartments all down the passenger side so you can walk from front to back on that side.. rate it for 200...that zv18 looks decent...looks like it might sit a bit high on the water but not a bad rig...sort of like the boat I describe...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)