Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.
- (Added by: Snowcrest 6)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Matte finish pouring plastic...why?

Message Subject: Matte finish pouring plastic...why?
10KCasts
Posted 10/12/2015 6:19 PM (#788317)
Subject: Matte finish pouring plastic...why?

I love this forum and it has inspired me to start building my own baits. I started with pouring plastic using Alumisol and the Alumilite silicone mold material. The first thing I need to troubleshoot is the sheen or finish of the bait. You can see the belly of the bait, formed in the open air portion of the mold, is a shiny black and the part formed in the mold is a matte black. Did I need to sand my original with a finer grit? I used a 150 grit.

Also, I'm getting bubble forming on the sides of the mold. I saw another thread and preheating the mold fixed this. It did not fix it for me. Any thoughts on this as well?

Edited by 10KCasts 10/12/2015 6:22 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2701.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2701.JPG (93KB - 286 downloads)
muskie tamer
Posted 10/13/2015 4:34 PM (#788434 - in reply to #788317)
Subject: Re: Matte finish pouring plastic...why?

I seal my original master and clear coat with gloss. Generally how ever your master looks when you make the mold is how it will turn out when you pour it.
Zinox
Posted 10/14/2015 12:09 PM (#788529 - in reply to #788317)

Muskie tamer, do you also clear coat silicone molds ? i do it with my POP molds but they are lot different.
muskie tamer
Posted 10/14/2015 8:30 PM (#788587 - in reply to #788317)

No, i don't spray anything in to my mold prior to casting other than a little mold release, with rubber i don't use anything i just make my master the way i want it to look. If your master isn't glossy your cast won't be either. 10kcasts you could try and heat the rubber with a torch or heart gun a little to re melt it to get the flat spots to be glossy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)