Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Lure Review: Bondy Bait Royal Orba

Message Subject: Lure Review: Bondy Bait Royal Orba
RandalB
Posted 8/26/2015 4:10 PM (#782080)
Subject: Lure Review: Bondy Bait Royal Orba

Hey all,
It's rare that a new lure comes along that I get to use before it becomes an old classic. That being said, here's a few notes, tactics and techniques on a lure that was new for 2015 that I've had some success with.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional Musky guide or someone who sells tackle for a living. I'm like a lot of guys, I fish on weekends and whenever I get the opportunity to jump on the boat and get out there. I'm not telling anyone to run out and buy this particular lure and I don't get anything from anyone for posting this; I just want to share my experiences with the forum.

All that being said,
I bought the Royal Orba after seeing some posts about it here on Muskie First. Got it early in the year and after a cast or two in May, I let it sit in the tackle box. I liked the action of the tail and the two blades in the back. I only ordered a white one and a Black/Orange tail one. My rationale for letting it sit? I've never had much luck with black and orange or white on my home lakes and I felt it wasn't lifelike enough to catch fish in ultra clear water.

Let's say a couple of things about Jon Bondy's baits real quick. I'm sure he'd be the first to say that he doesn't sell many baits to the guys who are attracted to the "Work of Art" school of Muskie Baits. Look at the original Bondy bait, it's frankly, ugly. Same deal with the Royal Orba, it doesn't look like much, a rubber tube with a couple of blades and a tail that looks like an afterthought. This was my rationale for leaving it sit. Thing is, Jon Bondy sells lots of lures for a reason. Not because they are pretty, because they work. I am happy to eat crow on this one, I just wish I had my values readjusted a couple of months ago. I'm sure I've missed fish because of my rationale.

Like my DD review, my thoughts were changed after a frustrating fish encounter. A 40's class fish had been giving me the business on a break. I knew it was active and aggressive, it kept striking at lures and charging in on the 8. It kept missing though, and wouldn't go back after the same lure twice. I came back along the break 4 or 5 times refusing to give up. Finally, I looked at the Orba, and like before, I knew this fish hadn't seen that one yet so I started throwing it. I used the recommended medium/fast straight retrieve and I added a couple of fast cranks during the retrieve. As I came up on the fish's waypoint, Had the hardest strike on the Orba I've ever had on anything. Fish straight up Freight train smashed it. I don't know if it was the bait or the fish, but it also gave me the best fight I've ever had, taking several minutes for me to get it in the bag. I was surprised to measure it out at 41". The fish thought it was much bigger and part tarpon.

Tips, Tricks and Tactics:
I use the Orba as an alternative for a bucktail, it also seems to run a little deeper and can be fished a little slower than a conventional bucktail.
It's a pretty much foolproof lure for less experienced Anglers, Pretty much throw and crank back.
Fish will follow this lure like a bucktail, it does good 8's like a bucktail. They tend to grab it harder and hold on probably due to the rubber body though.

Overall:
A well built solid lure - Even after several fish on it, it has tooth slashes but is still perfectly usable. The tail is still in great shape, no loss of the blades or damage to the hooks.
Use this in an area where fish are used to bucktails or out in deep water.

I Don't have any out of the water pics of fish caught on this one, but I have a net shot of that 41"

HTH,
RandalB

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_2739.JPG)

(IMG_2741.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2739.JPG (137KB - 402 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2741.JPG (131KB - 413 downloads)
14ledo81
Posted 8/26/2015 5:31 PM (#782092 - in reply to #782080)
Subject: Re: Lure Review: Bondy Bait Royal Orba

Nice post.

I actually just picked one up today.

Gonna give it a try this week.
Bondy
Posted 8/26/2015 6:52 PM (#782109 - in reply to #782080)
Subject: RE: Lure Review: Bondy Bait Royal Orba

That was a great read! Yup they are drab looking baits. All of the Bondy's are and we are proud of the fact that people regard them as effective tools that catch a ton of fish without the need for paint. Thanks again! Jon
Potomac
Posted 8/26/2015 7:04 PM (#782110 - in reply to #782080)

Sweet read.
Natureboy
Posted 8/26/2015 8:18 PM (#782119 - in reply to #782080)

If you keep posting like this, I'm going to need to purchase another tackle box....thanks for the post!
RandalB
Posted 8/26/2015 8:31 PM (#782122 - in reply to #782080)

Thanks guys! I only have one more to do, Not a lot of new (to me) Lures for 2015...

Jon, Keep making them fish catchers and I'll keep buying them. I need to work on my technique with my original Bondy Baits, I have yet to get one in the boat on one, but I've had several vicious hits. I've added a stinger hook to the top and I hope that will increase my hookup odds.

RandalB
14ledo81
Posted 8/26/2015 9:28 PM (#782128 - in reply to #782080)

Jon, what is the countdown rate with the Royal Orba?
Bondy
Posted 8/27/2015 4:19 AM (#782136 - in reply to #782080)

Thanks guys. I don't really count down that bait. When I chuck it out I just start reeling so I get those blades spinning, and keep them spinning much like a buck tail. On a medium retrieve it will come in 2-3 ft down. It's been killer on St Clair and we've had fish pictures come our way from all over the place.
Codeman
Posted 8/27/2015 7:02 AM (#782144 - in reply to #782080)

I'm going to get me a couple of these soon. I got the regular bondy bait and haven't gotten anything yet. I have moved some structure on the bottom with the baits though lol. Super Strong lure.
Bondy
Posted 8/27/2015 7:17 AM (#782145 - in reply to #782080)

Keep trying that original Bondy Bait, it's a 19 time tournament winner!
Codeman
Posted 8/27/2015 8:59 AM (#782154 - in reply to #782080)

I plan on it. Just got to get a boat first. Got some other guys loving the bait as well. So there will be plenty of orders heading your way.
Zib
Posted 8/28/2015 8:05 AM (#782254 - in reply to #782080)

Yep those musky hit the Royal Orba with some serious force. The first time I used one was the last day of the season last year on LSC (Dec. 15th). Water temp was 36* & had 2 fish within 15 minutes of each other hit the bait like a speeding freight train. #*^@ near took the rod out of my hand.

Don't give up on the original Bondy. I've put more fish in the boat with that bait than all my other lures combined.

MOJOcandy101
Posted 8/28/2015 9:01 AM (#782261 - in reply to #782080)

Have you guys been ripping the royal like a dawg or have you been having more luck on more of a straight retrieve?
IAJustin
Posted 8/28/2015 9:07 AM (#782263 - in reply to #782261)

straight retrieve.. I've had best luck fishing them what i'd consider slow, lets the bait get down 7-10.. increase speed as the lure comes up (roughly last 15 yards of cast) , fast into the 8 - catch them by the boat. easy peezy!
RandalB
Posted 8/28/2015 10:08 AM (#782272 - in reply to #782263)

+1 on the straight retrieve, medium to slow speed, taking off in the 8...

RandalB
Bondy
Posted 8/31/2015 4:56 PM (#782562 - in reply to #782080)

Here is one that was sent in to us last week that choked down an original Bondy Bait head first.

(Kaleb.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Kaleb.jpg (119KB - 419 downloads)
RandalB
Posted 8/31/2015 6:27 PM (#782568 - in reply to #782080)

That's a bust out the Knipex hit there....
Rotag
Posted 9/1/2015 4:46 PM (#782697 - in reply to #782080)

Why is he holding it by the gills? Bet he had a few cuts from that move
Team Rhino
Posted 9/1/2015 7:55 PM (#782723 - in reply to #782080)

If you are looking for Royal Orbas Team Rhino Outdoors just got a whole pile of new customs in stock. Check them out at www.teamrhinooutdoors.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)