Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Took a newbie out on 'Tonka and opened an Okie's eyes...

Message Subject: Took a newbie out on 'Tonka and opened an Okie's eyes...
buckup
Posted 8/10/2015 3:28 PM (#779819)
Subject: Took a newbie out on 'Tonka and opened an Okie's eyes...

...my wife asked me to take a customer of hers in town for training out to fish on "Tonka last week. He is from Oklahoma and apparently fishes the regional bass circuit competitively. It was nice, in that he had mastery of all the gear, the trolling motor, etc. After an hour of muskie fishing, we spot some tullibees on the surface over 16 ft of water. He asks for a bass rod and starts casting a DT16, with lots of success on 15" school bass. He remarks several times that these "fat, little" fish are fun, but the bass in OK are much bigger. About bass number 5, with the fish 6 ft down and digging for the bottom, a high 40's to low 50's big girl comes from under the boat, takes the 15' bass from below at the gill plates and tries to abscond with the catch. After a few seconds, she lets go, sniffs at the Double D I am trying to entice her with and slowly swims away. My Okie friend looks at me with an astonished look on his face and says, "We don't have THOSE in Oklahoma!"

He is now booking additional training in mid-October.
14ledo81
Posted 8/10/2015 3:44 PM (#779823 - in reply to #779819)
Subject: RE: Took a newbie out on 'Tonka and opened an Okie's eyes...

buckup - 8/10/2015 3:28 PM

...my wife asked me to take a customer of hers in town for training out to fish on "Tonka last week. He is from Oklahoma and apparently fishes the regional bass circuit competitively. It was nice, in that he had mastery of all the gear, the trolling motor, etc. After an hour of muskie fishing, we spot some tullibees on the surface over 16 ft of water. He asks for a bass rod and starts casting a DT16, with lots of success on 15" school bass. He remarks several times that these "fat, little" fish are fun, but the bass in OK are much bigger. About bass number 5, with the fish 6 ft down and digging for the bottom, a high 40's to low 50's big girl comes from under the boat, takes the 15' bass from below at the gill plates and tries to abscond with the catch. After a few seconds, she lets go, sniffs at the Double D I am trying to entice her with and slowly swims away. My Okie friend looks at me with an astonished look on his face and says, "We don't have THOSE in Oklahoma!"

He is now booking additional training in mid-October.

Thats right!!

Haven't we all had similar experiences (maybe not eating our bass) and that is why we muskie fish....
Propster
Posted 8/10/2015 4:42 PM (#779830 - in reply to #779819)
Subject: Re: Took a newbie out on 'Tonka and opened an Okie's eyes...

Tullibees? On Tonka?
Michaeldircz
Posted 8/10/2015 5:43 PM (#779836 - in reply to #779819)

Im sure the school you mentioned was a crappie or bluegill school. No tulibee in that lake
buckup
Posted 8/11/2015 8:07 PM (#780012 - in reply to #779836)

You guys are right, no tullibees in 'Tonka. Hmmm... What are they? I see them all the time, on the surface, in late evening. Are they mooneyes?
Sidejack
Posted 8/11/2015 8:23 PM (#780015 - in reply to #780012)

Carp

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Carp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Carp.jpg (4KB - 178 downloads)
Noy
Posted 8/11/2015 11:05 PM (#780024 - in reply to #779819)

I'd guess sunfish, there are huge schools of them out there, often just below the surface. I'm amazed how often a muskie will swim right through a school of food like that to chase lure.

And yeah, I've seen big schools of carp like that out there, too. Those would be HUGE tullibees...
buckup
Posted 8/12/2015 6:31 AM (#780036 - in reply to #780024)

Sunnies on a bug hatch would make sense. When I moved here 12 years ago I asked a friend about it and he told me they were probably tullibees. I never checked further. Thanks to you all for the enlightenment!
MuskieBrinatte
Posted 8/12/2015 11:14 AM (#780072 - in reply to #780036)

Grew up on Tonka, I'm 95% sure they were sunnies. The water is not cool enough for tullibee. Cool experience for that guy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)