Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Flippin' Stick (Rod) Recommendation ?

Message Subject: Flippin' Stick (Rod) Recommendation ?
backdraft
Posted 6/17/2015 5:33 PM (#772990)
Subject: Flippin' Stick (Rod) Recommendation ?

Yes - I know this is MuskieFIRST.

Any recommendations on a Flippin' Stick to be used with small bucktails, cranks, jigs, etc.

I hear alot about using a bass Flipping Rod - just looking for a recommendation or experience.

Backdraft
curleytail
Posted 6/17/2015 6:41 PM (#772996 - in reply to #772990)
Subject: RE: Flippin' Stick (Rod) Recommendation ?

This isn't exactly what you asked so I apologize if this is going in the wrong direction, but I think I would take a look at a lighter musky rod of your preference. I'm just not sure how many flippin' sticks have the backbone most musky rods have.

A 9' musky rod rated from 1.5-3 oz or so will throw some pretty small stuff without an issue and still have everything else we want - longer handle, better backbone, etc.

I'm sure there are bass rods that would work fine, it just seems like fewer calories spent finding a good, lighter power musky rod than a flippin' stick that does everything a musky guy wants.
Ray Fuller
Posted 6/18/2015 1:12 AM (#773037 - in reply to #772990)
Subject: Re: Flippin' Stick (Rod) Recommendation ?

I agree with curleytail. I used a Flippin stik for awhile for spring baits,but now I really like my Okuma 8'6 H for small tails and cranks,but any mid size tails like 8s or 9s I go to the 8'6 or 9'3 XH.
Flambeauski
Posted 6/18/2015 8:18 AM (#773062 - in reply to #772990)

I've tried traditional flippin rods for lighter baits, they just don't have the fast action I like. What I really like are the bass mega-swimbait rods, like the St. Croix Mojo MBC79HF or Legend Tournament TBC710HF. Not nearly as versatile as muskie specific rods but they have enough backbone and man are they light!
Fishysam
Posted 6/18/2015 9:18 AM (#773079 - in reply to #772990)

I'd say I wish I didn't have this set up. But I have A 7'9" st croix mojo bass swimbait rod. 1-4oz rating. Great backbone use it for small jerks and blades. And to relax my hand on day 3 of a wicked bender but. Haven't hooked a ski with it just pike up to 20#. I would really like to sell it to a friend because I do have doubts about it. As far as my other flipping and pitching rods in the mojo line up oh heck no!!! Not going to work for ski!
ToddM
Posted 6/18/2015 10:20 AM (#773095 - in reply to #772990)

I use a bass pro flipping stick rod I bought on sale as bps for 20 bucks. I have caught quite a few fish with it. It is all about lure size, weight and hooks. A flippin stick won't drive a thick eagle claw 774 into a fish but it would a small round bend hook. I was throwing a large jackal yesterday with it and have caught fish with that bait on that rod.
Jeremy
Posted 6/18/2015 9:24 PM (#773184 - in reply to #772990)

Thorne Bros bucktail rod. I have 3 of 'em. Custom rods. Not too spendy and nice!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)