Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> How should I be using my gear

Message Subject: How should I be using my gear
jaultman
Posted 5/19/2015 3:41 PM (#769443)
Subject: How should I be using my gear

Would you be so kind as to advise how you think I should best use what I have? Pair my rods with my reels, choose a line and leader to use on each setup and state what each setup's function would be.

I have:
Rods:
- 9'-0" TI XXH
- 8'-0" Shimano Compre XH
- 7'-3" Fig Rig H
- 6'-3" Shakespeare H (can't remember what it actually is)

Reels:
- Daiwa Saltist (can't even remember if it's a 20 or 30 size...)
- Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60-HS
- Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 (5.4:1)
- Abu Garcia C3 6500

Here's how I'm currently using my stuff:

The Saltist is on the 9' XXH with 80 lb Suffix 832 and 150 LB fluoro leader, use it for throwing larger bucktails, rubber, and bigger crankbaits

The Revo Toro 60-HS is on the 8' XH Compre with 80 lb Suffix and fluoro leader, use it for most bucktails, topwater, jerks, glides, smaller cranks.

The Revo Toro 5.4:1 is on the 7'-3" heavy with suffix and fluoro leader. Pretty much just a loaner rod, sometimes I use it for glide baits or topwater

The C3 is on the tiny, junky shakespeare. This rod stays in the garage rafters most of the time.

I'm open to hearing how I might better pair up my rods/reels, but more specifically what line and leaders I should think about, and most importantly, WHY I might want to make these changes.

Thanks!
KeegDaddy
Posted 5/19/2015 4:02 PM (#769447 - in reply to #769443)
Subject: Re: How should I be using my gear

I have a 5.4 on my XH rod for bucktails, the lower gear ratio brings in the bigger bucktails easier, but at the cost of less inches per crank. Its more personal preference but for me the HS will make you become fatigued much faster. But if the rod is going to be used as a multipurpose rod then the HS will be a great choice for jerks, gliders, and the smaller cranks.
As for line and leaders, that is up to personal preference, use what you trust and have confidence in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)