Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Morson vs. NW angle

Message Subject: Morson vs. NW angle
flyingfish8604
Posted 4/23/2015 7:25 PM (#766301)
Subject: Morson vs. NW angle

Looking at planning a trip to LOTW. My wife and I have been to the angle once, but seeing the trip to Morson area on the OM auction got me thinking. What are the major differences between the two areas of LOTW? Fishing pressure, size and number structure of fish, etc. About all I know is the angle is in MN and Morson is in Ontario, and many of the places to stay near Morson are drive to, vs boat to.
Musky Brian
Posted 4/23/2015 7:35 PM (#766305 - in reply to #766301)
Subject: RE: Morson vs. NW angle

I don't think there's major differences really

But if your staying on the mainland by Morson and the wind is howling from the SW it's not easy to hide from that big open water I don't think...
tbaatz
Posted 4/24/2015 9:16 AM (#766402 - in reply to #766301)
Subject: Re: Morson vs. NW angle

Don't forget you have to travel through Canada to get to the NW angle. As Brian M said a SW wind can make things dicey over Morson way. (Yes Todd this is me Tom) I have had the opportunity to travel from the Morson side over towards the Angle side and the only difference I saw was the water seemed to get murkier as I got further west. This could have been entirely due to the prevailing conditions at the time however. Either way it's hard to go wrong on LOTW.
sledman5
Posted 4/24/2015 8:56 PM (#766545 - in reply to #766301)

I've been to both (NW angle more than Morson) and personally prefer the NW angle. As mentioned above if you get a strong wind it's much tougher to find fishable water near Morson than compared to the NW. My average size of musky is also better on the angle (could be coincidence). I don't think you can go wrong with either though.
flyingfish8604
Posted 4/27/2015 11:38 AM (#766823 - in reply to #766301)

Thanks for the input. I wondered about being on the opposite side of big Travers bay, and wind/waves.
curleytail
Posted 4/27/2015 12:41 PM (#766846 - in reply to #766301)

I stayed at Mylie's last summer. 1st time I've been to Canada on my own accord. I went as a kid a few times but it's been a while. Fishing was tougher than expected, but many guys were saying the same thing last year. If the wind is from the W or SW, it can get pretty "big" heading west of Mylies, but heading east was not too bad. I felt like Mylies was a pretty good location for avoiding big wind if needed, for the most part.

Compared to the NW angle, I have no idea. I do know the road to Mylies is a piece of cake, and have read about the NW angle not always being so fun to drive to.

Tucker
dtaijo174
Posted 4/27/2015 3:05 PM (#766868 - in reply to #766301)

I've been to both. I prefer the drive to Morson over the angle... fishing seemed about the same to me.
Doug Johnson prefers the angle... so it's probably better.
Dan Klis
Posted 4/27/2015 6:36 PM (#766901 - in reply to #766868)

Been fishing the lake for over 27 years, 4 as a guide at Flag Island. Have a cabin at the Angle and am staying at Tamarack Island this summer for a few days because I prefer the Morson area. Get the picture? I fished the Morson area quite a bit from 1994 to 2005.

If I had to do my cabin purchase again it would have been in the Morson area. I think the trolling bite is better there, just look at what Justin from Mylies has done the past few years. It also less affected by a strong current, such was the case last summer at the Angle.

Wind? Try heading into the Angle on any wind over 25. It's a big lake and any wind makes it tough.
btfish
Posted 4/27/2015 6:59 PM (#766904 - in reply to #766901)

I have fished and still fish both. No way would I say the Morson area is better than the Angle for the simple reason the higher number of boats out of Morson. Even XX miles out it is not uncommon to have several boat sitting on many of the prime spots at prime time, it can almost be difficult to find a place to fish in some of the concentrated areas.

When we go out of the Angle, it many times seem like we are the only boat. That is never the case out of Morson.

Edited by btfish 4/27/2015 7:00 PM
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 5/9/2015 8:39 AM (#768240 - in reply to #766904)

It's funny that I've heard the opposite about fishing pressure here in Morson vs the Angle. I've never had a problem finding a "prime" spot to fish anytime I've been on the water the last 3-4 years.

This is a Chevy vs Ford vs Ram argument.

Mostly preference based on personal experience which is not going to be the same as the next anglers personal experience.

Musky Brian
Posted 5/9/2015 9:25 AM (#768248 - in reply to #766904)

btfish - 4/27/2015 6:59 PM

I have fished and still fish both. No way would I say the Morson area is better than the Angle for the simple reason the higher number of boats out of Morson. Even XX miles out it is not uncommon to have several boat sitting on many of the prime spots at prime time, it can almost be difficult to find a place to fish in some of the concentrated areas.

When we go out of the Angle, it many times seem like we are the only boat. That is never the case out of Morson.

take a ride around Bishops Bay during MH school week and FIB Musky club week ....might change your mind a bit
Matt DeVos
Posted 5/9/2015 10:56 AM (#768256 - in reply to #766904)

btfish - 4/27/2015 6:59 PM
When we go out of the Angle, it many times seem like we are the only boat.

10-15 years ago, I'd have somewhat agreed. Don't get me wrong, there is more than enough water to spread out, and it certainly is possible to get off the beaten path. But the NW Angle and vicinity have its fair share of pressure.
PSAGuy
Posted 5/14/2015 7:32 PM (#768838 - in reply to #768256)

Yep....That pressure is exactly what drove me up to Wiley Point area....pressure is not a word anyone knows up there.
Fish are big and fat, and plentiful.

Between only Morson and NW Angle tho, I still think Angle has better overall Muskie action. Late fall trolling in Morson is terrific too.
Matt DeVos
Posted 5/15/2015 10:12 AM (#768910 - in reply to #768838)

PSAGuy - 5/14/2015 7:32 PM
Yep....That pressure is exactly what drove me up to Wiley Point area....pressure is not a word anyone knows up there.

I guess it depends upon your definition of "pressure". The Big Narrows isn't exactly untapped water. There are easily-identified spots near Wiley's that get hit pretty hard. But again, its relative and no matter where you go on LOTW, there's plenty of water to spread out in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)