Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Boat Covers When Not Trailering Your Boat

Reply New post
Message Subject: Boat Covers When Not Trailering Your Boat
Team_Ryba
Posted 4/4/2015 1:45 PM (#763332)
Subject: Boat Covers When Not Trailering Your Boat

We have a Ranger 186 Reata and use the heavy trailering cover that ratchets on tightly for travelling. This cover however, is heavy and a real pain to put on and cover the boat with for overnight protection from rain or dew when tied up to the dock. I have seen some boats that have the snap on covers but don't know if they offer adequate protection and I don't really like the idea of drilling a hole for a snap every foot and a half on my boat if these covers don't do the job.
What do you guys use or do to cover your rigs up for protection when tied up dockside overnight?
Any suggestions would be appreciated....
Thanks,
TR
fastcast2
Posted 4/4/2015 4:17 PM (#763347 - in reply to #763332)
Subject: RE: Boat Covers When Not Trailering Your Boat

I had a light weight cover made for my ranger 621 by Cindys cover it in Wisconsin.It has a pocket that hooks over the trolling motor and goes over the walk thru windshield and main seats and uses bungee cords to anchor to rear side rails.Its perfect for dew and bugs.Rolls up and I store it in a dock box on my dock.
jeff
Jeremy
Posted 4/4/2015 6:07 PM (#763356 - in reply to #763332)
Subject: Re: Boat Covers When Not Trailering Your Boat

I just got a new Ranger Z118 in 2012 and love that travel cover. I took it to a custom tarp shop in MPLS called Canvas Craft and they made a super dockside cover for it. Have them measure for it as you leave it coming in off the lake at night or re-arrange the seating to best accommodate the tarp for drainage. And cinch the pull-ropes in at the bow. I tried to come up w/a diff. solution for my docking situation and had to go back to the recommended

Maybe look for one in your area. I love mine and hate fishing w/a wet arse...
PSAGuy
Posted 4/4/2015 9:15 PM (#763376 - in reply to #763332)

I have a Ranger 620 and NEVER cover it when it's in the water. The Ranger cover is terrific for trailering and storage but I would not dream of messing with it dockside. The boat still looks like new even though it's 7 years old. It's seen it's share of overnight storms and even snow from time to time while docked. The dew and rain should not hurt the interior at all. Sun is another story tho, but you don't want to cover it anytime there is sun.

I'd leave it alone and bring towels down to dri it in the morning.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/7/2015 5:19 PM (#763852 - in reply to #763376)

I never cover my boat at night unless it's going to snow, or storm hard.

My routine is to flip the seats down (sometimes put a garbage bag over them) and cover the electronics with a large bath towel if it's just dew, then in the morning I wipe everything off with the towel and throw it in the vehicle before heading out.
fastcast2
Posted 4/8/2015 7:01 AM (#763935 - in reply to #763852)

you ever had a million mayflys covering your boat?you will want something to cover it.
jeff
Abu7000
Posted 4/8/2015 1:12 PM (#764038 - in reply to #763332)

For me, the snap on covers are the way to go. Very easy to put them on after a day of fishing, and they also can work as a trailering cover over moderate distances. I have used one on my 620 for ten years with excellent results. The boat sits in the water on LOTW from early June through mid-October and is covered at the dock. Ten minutes to put it on and five minutes to take it off.
I have a similar cover on my 1880 on Lake Havasu. It is in the water from late October till late April. Again the same story no problems and easy to put on and take off. The snaps work well and last a long time. I have replaced one on the 620’s hull and 3 on the 620’s cover in ten years. No replacements needed on the 1880 in just under two years. I highly recommend a snap on cover. Cindy Covers It in Three Lakes makes a great cover. I had one for my Tuffy 1760 and liked it.

Edited by Abu7000 4/8/2015 1:15 PM
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/12/2015 10:48 AM (#764548 - in reply to #764038)

It's pretty rare that I leave my boat docked overnight, but when a storm (or especially snow) is imminent, I just lay the cover on the boat kind of loose, and tie off the back with the plastic lock clips. For longer dock storage, that might not work though.

I've never owned a boat cover that wasn't kind of a pain to put on, but think that just using the cover you already have would be better than buying another one just for the dock.

Edited by Jerry Newman 4/12/2015 11:28 PM
MuskyMike51
Posted 4/13/2015 8:54 AM (#764645 - in reply to #763332)

snap covers are great. I have one on my boat use it for both trailering and dockside coverage. One thing i like about mine is that the snaps are on the bottom side of the gunnel cap rather screwed the side. The covers wraps around the gunnel so to speak and the in the event of a collision with a dock or piling you don't have worry about ripping off snaps attached to boat.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/13/2015 11:38 AM (#764660 - in reply to #764645)

Good point with the placement of the snaps. However, I think he's just looking for some ideas because he already has the HD ratchet type Ranger cover.
Abu7000
Posted 4/13/2015 3:03 PM (#764690 - in reply to #763332)

If the snaps are below the rum rail, the cover will be rubbing against the dock or dock posts. This could lead to a damaged cover. I think that the snaps placed above the rub rail will better protect the cover from damage.
Jeremy
Posted 4/13/2015 5:16 PM (#764714 - in reply to #764690)

Abu7000 - 4/13/2015 3:03 PM

If the snaps are below the rum rail, the cover will be rubbing against the dock or dock posts. This could lead to a damaged cover. I think that the snaps placed above the rub rail will better protect the cover from damage.

White Boat Fenders!

My current boat cost more than my first house so I take care of her. It's docked for a few weeks each year on our vacation. They also protect the rain cover against immediate wear, but to each his own.

Choices.
Top H2O
Posted 4/13/2015 7:46 PM (#764732 - in reply to #764714)

I have a 2 piece snap on Moring cover. It works great. I even trailer the boat to KY. and back 2,000 miles with no problems.
Only bad thing is that a few snaps break every once in a while, but it only takes a minute to fix/repair. It keeps the Dew, rain, and frost off of the seats and casting decks.
My first one lasted 9 years before I replaced it with a heaver one last year.
fishhawk50
Posted 4/13/2015 8:50 PM (#764746 - in reply to #763332)

soft rain water washes the carpet very well..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)