Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Best fishfinder for the $$

Reply New post
Message Subject: Best fishfinder for the $$
Muskyteer
Posted 1/28/2015 9:56 AM (#750656)
Subject: Best fishfinder for the $$

Hi guys,
I'm planning on getting a new fishfinder for this spring and was wondering if you could help me and guide me based on your experience.
If i'm looking to spend a 1 000$ or a little bit more for my fishfinder, taking in consideration the SI, fish ID/arc, baitfish, bottom identification.
I know that hummingbird allowed you to download the new release for your hardware wich is a plus.
Now will doing my research I've come accross some other compagnie like Raymarine DragonFly 7, Garmin, and Furuno.
Any of you have eard or experience with these brand?

thanks for your input guys and looking forward to spring time!!!
Captain
Posted 1/29/2015 9:40 AM (#750803 - in reply to #750656)
Subject: Re: Best fishfinder for the $$

I think those other brands you listed are more popular for offshore than "inshore" like the lakes we typically fish. I am sure they are all capable units, but my biggest concern would be their GPS mapping options. Lots of options for Lowrance and Humminbird, I don't know what they are for those others.
If you are in the market to spend $1000 or there abouts, the Elite 9 Chirp from Lowrance might be a good choice for you. Big screen, does downscan AND CHIRP which gets rid of a lot of the clutter on the screen with better definition of fish than non-chirp units.
You don't have an Ethernet port though since its not an HDS unit, but you can network through NMEA if you wish.
Yooper Padre
Posted 1/29/2015 3:40 PM (#750879 - in reply to #750656)

The 899ci HD SI Humminbirds are selling on the net for $950. A lot there for the money
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/899ci-HD-SI-Combo/

Another Humminbird option is the older, 898c HD SI, which I would prefer because it can easily be networked to a second unit with only a cable, and like the external GPS antenna. There aren't a whole lot of them to be found, but Factory Outlet has them for $1049. http://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.com/details/19374-112696/humm...

Either model is compatible with Humminbird I-Pilot Link.

Fr. K

Edited by Yooper Padre 1/29/2015 4:00 PM
DonPursch
Posted 1/29/2015 4:15 PM (#750885 - in reply to #750656)
Subject: RE: Best fishfinder for the $$

First ask your self What kind of fishing I like to do the most.
Do I need lots of bells and whistles I don't understand and I might not ever need or want, and do I just really need good nav. And a really good set of eyes under water
And then time on the water under standing what you are seeing on your electronics
Don't mean to confuse you just trying to help.The best of luck
Muskyteer
Posted 2/4/2015 9:39 AM (#751859 - in reply to #750656)

No that's find, these are good things to think about...i would say that my time on the water is about 50/50, throlling and casting if we look at it year round. Navigation and a good set of eyes under the water would be my biggest concern I would say.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)