Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Pounder rods

Message Subject: Pounder rods
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/15/2015 12:58 PM (#748675 - in reply to #748626)
Subject: Re: Pounder rods

Flambeauski - 1/15/2015 11:01 AM

Zib - 1/15/2015 9:46 AM

My concern with using the surf rod for pounders is that the line rating max is 60 LB. I use 100 LB for pounders just in case of a backlash. I wouldn't want to snap the rod due to using line that's heavier than what the rod is rated for. I broke an Okuma rod on a sturgeon partly because I was using line that was heavier than what the rod was rated for. With the surf rod having the moderate-fast action I would think this would maybe allow you to get away with using heavier line but not sure how that softer action would affect hook sets.

Don't pay attention to line ratings, you can bust a rod rated up to 100lb with 20 lb line and can catch fish on an ultra lite with 100 lb test.
The lure rating is more significant, 6-16 oz, the highest lure rating of any blank SC builds.
And as to hooksets, simply loading this rod buries hooks. Just make sure you have a netman.

My daughters Barbie pole has 30# Power Pro on it. I think its rated for 2# line...

Zib
Posted 1/15/2015 1:14 PM (#748679 - in reply to #748626)

Flambeauski - 1/15/2015 12:01 PM
Zib - 1/15/2015 9:46 AM My concern with using the surf rod for pounders is that the line rating max is 60 LB. I use 100 LB for pounders just in case of a backlash. I wouldn't want to snap the rod due to using line that's heavier than what the rod is rated for. I broke an Okuma rod on a sturgeon partly because I was using line that was heavier than what the rod was rated for. With the surf rod having the moderate-fast action I would think this would maybe allow you to get away with using heavier line but not sure how that softer action would affect hook sets.

Don't pay attention to line ratings, you can bust a rod rated up to 100lb with 20 lb line and can catch fish on an ultra lite with 100 lb test. The lure rating is more significant, 6-16 oz, the highest lure rating of any blank SC builds. And as to hooksets, simply loading this rod buries hooks. Just make sure you have a netman.

Prior to me breaking one of my musky rods fighting a 60" sturgeon I didn't worry so much about line rating but since then I saw a video with Gary Loomis taking about how rods break & read an article from Rod Maker Magazine & they both mention to be aware of the line ratings. I guess I'm just a little paranoid about breaking $300+ rod because of putting too heavy of line on it.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/rodusage.pdf

bowhunter29
Posted 1/15/2015 1:23 PM (#748681 - in reply to #747734)

Zib,

I used to hand that article out at musky shows! There's another one that was featured in Rodmaker Magazine showing what the break looks like on a rod blank based on what caused the break. Different causes such as a crush-fracture or an overload break cause the blank to look much different at the break area. I always get a kick out of stories I get from guys who 'broke a rod casting' when it was clearly smashed in a door or stepped on.

jeremy
Flambeauski
Posted 1/15/2015 1:41 PM (#748689 - in reply to #747734)

It's like the 10 Commandments for rod builders!

Line doesn't matter except in the case of guide diameter (100lb fluoro doesn't work with micro guides).
Drag is your friend, sharp angles and pinch points are your enemy.
Thunderpumper
Posted 1/15/2015 1:46 PM (#748691 - in reply to #748679)

*giggles*
@Zip- sounds like more of a freak occurance rather than normal outcome. FWIW drop 40$'s or so on one of these for sturgies. Perfect for sturgeon, perfectly worthless for everything else. But, a very reasonable single application rod at the price point.
Thunderpumper
Posted 1/15/2015 2:02 PM (#748696 - in reply to #748689)

Their blanks are highly sensitive.
Zib
Posted 1/15/2015 2:45 PM (#748713 - in reply to #748691)

Thunderpumper - 1/15/2015 2:46 PM *giggles* @Zip- sounds like more of a freak occurance rather than normal outcome. FWIW drop 40$'s or so on one of these for sturgies. Perfect for sturgeon, perfectly worthless for everything else. But, a very reasonable single application rod at the price point.

I use anywhere from 5oz to 16 oz. weights when fishing for sturgeon in the St. Clair River. I put 8 oz. on the rod I cast out 60+ feet from the back of the boat. We use the 16 oz. weights to cast out to the sides to prevent the current from sweeping the line behind the boat. Finding 8' to 9' rods that can handle casting that weight plus having a moderate to moderate fast action is a little harder to come by for a rod under $100. I prefer the longer rods for sturgeon over the shorter rods because it's easier to maneuver from one side of the boat to the other when the sturgeon decides to go under the boat.

As for the freak occurrence that's probably about right because had the sturgeon not gone under the boat then head upstream & start to tangle in the anchor line I don't think the rod wouldn’t have broken.

Thunderpumper
Posted 1/15/2015 3:09 PM (#748723 - in reply to #748713)

Wow, 1lb leads! That would be a bit much for the rod I linked. I fish the St Croix and Rainy rivers and never really need to go bigger than 8oz, and because this is the internet if I haven't had the problem no one else has either

I have a buddy that went on a guided trip for White Sturgeon in Oregon. They were using 1lb cannon ball off an Ugly stick. I'll have to find out what model they used.
Zib
Posted 1/15/2015 5:08 PM (#748757 - in reply to #748723)

Thunderpumper - 1/15/2015 4:09 PM Wow, 1lb leads! That would be a bit much for the rod I linked. I fish the St Croix and Rainy rivers and never really need to go bigger than 8oz, and because this is the internet if I haven't had the problem no one else has either I have a buddy that went on a guided trip for White Sturgeon in Oregon. They were using 1lb cannon ball off an Ugly stick. I'll have to find out what model they used.

How strong is the current in the Rainy? Depth?

The St. Clair River's current varies depending on location & water levels. It's usually around 4 knots in the area I fish & others it can be down to 2 knots or up to 7. We usually fish in 28 to 35 fow but sometimes go as deep as 52. Depending on who's boat we're fishing in we will run up to 8 & a few times 9 rods (allowed 3 per angler in Michigan) so we need that extra weight to keep the line spread out. Surprisingly we have only had a few tangles over the last 5 seasons of targeting sturgeon.

Thunderpumper
Posted 1/16/2015 6:53 AM (#748839 - in reply to #747734)

I'm not sure of the exact flow rate. It's an early spring season so the flows are all over the place depending which tribs have blown out, but 6oz lead seems to be the most you need. Depths are 30-45'. 2 lines per guy on both the Rainy and Croix. The season on the Rainy get's pretty crowded in places but is well worth trying at some point. Still haven't landed a 60+, but she's a commin'.
she's a commin'
MuskieMike
Posted 1/24/2015 1:33 PM (#750162 - in reply to #747734)
Subject: RE: Pounder rods

I had a custom Calstar blank built by Frank's Custom rods. It ended up JUST short of 9 ft, and absolutely is a tank I am pairing it with a Tranx HG this year, and the thing will be a pounder eating machine. Ran it last lear with a Revo 5:4 to 1 and it worked great, it will be an absolute work of art with the tranx. the cost was similar to the Legend series. Having exactly what I wanted was worth the couple extra bucks in my opinion.
bowhunter29
Posted 1/24/2015 2:02 PM (#750166 - in reply to #747734)
Subject: RE: Pounder rods

FYI, I can get those surf blanks in 13 custom colors.

jeremy

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Custom Blank Colors.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Custom Blank Colors.jpg (23KB - 504 downloads)
mnmusky
Posted 1/24/2015 2:37 PM (#750167 - in reply to #747734)

how long is the butt section/rear grip of that 12' rod? looks to be 2 feet or more. I suppose it helps with balance but how did you like retrieving the dawgs with it.?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)