"Question 57 - Trophy Management (Wis CC meetings)"
MuskyTime
Posted 3/6/2004 7:30 AM (#99570)
Subject: "Question 57 - Trophy Management (Wis CC meetings)"

A gentlemen who is very active in establishing trophy pike fishing in Wisconsin passed this along to me. It is obviously a very leading question. I am very interested in who came up with this question and what their agenda is? Obviously I am in favor of establishing trophy musky lakes in Wisconsin and I am a little disappointed from last years voting results. But this question has got my blood boiling again. Maybe I am reading more into it than I should, but I don’t think so. This looks like an attempt by someone to silence any attempt to establish trophy fishing in the state of Wisconsin. But that’s just me…. Ed Spoerl
Question 57 - Trophy Management
Hunting and Fishing license sales and overall fishing activities are flat and in some areas
declining in Wisconsin. The trend toward quality or trophy management in Wisconsin
has in our opinion contributed to this decline by alienating young and novice fisherman
and hunters.
_ Is the emphasis on trophy management detrimental to resource
management and our outdoor heritage? 57. YES ______ NO______

sworrall
Posted 3/6/2004 10:39 PM (#99613 - in reply to #99570)
Subject: RE: "Question 57 - Trophy Management (Wis CC meetings)"

I would also like to know who authored that statement and possiibly ask for a public debate. An excellent vunue might be in the MuskieFIRST chat room.
SharpHooks
Posted 3/8/2004 9:21 AM (#99742 - in reply to #99613)

I emailed the DNR and got this reply:This question came out of the Outdoor Heritage committee of the Conservation Congress. I would recommend contacting Larry Bonde at 920-693-8449 regarding the background of the question because he is the committee chair. If I remember correctly this is a question from a resolution from last year. For license sale information I would contact the customer service and licensing section. I have cc'd them in on this email. This is a link to the listing of the people on the Heritage committee.http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/congress/committees/heritage/index.htmWho is Larry Bonde? Can someone contact him for more information?

Edited by SharpHooks 3/8/2004 9:28 AM
SharpHooks
Posted 3/8/2004 12:27 PM (#99761 - in reply to #99742)

Here is another reply to my question on Question 57 Wis CC Meeting agenda. I will post more information as I receive it.From the DNR:Clearly the opinion issued is that of the Conservation Congress Outdoor Heritage Committee. There are several potential sources documenting the decline in hunting participation and hunter numbers. The National Survey of Hunting Fishing and Wildlife Related Recreation - last published in 2001 (survey is done every 5 years.) - has a long dataset of declines and analyses nationwide and in WI for various types of hunting (and angling) and by age groups as well; DNR annual survey figures document declining participation in small game hunting; DNR license sales (regarding hunting) are more ambiguous, but deer hunting participation appears to be flat over at least the last decade and sales of small game licenses are declining (however, sales of Conservation Patron licenses are increasing as are turkey license sales.)Here is my reply to the DNR:You mention the annual survey the DNR does, how does fishing licenses numbers look compared to previous years? I am concerned that the question is tilted more towards fishing than hunting. As a avid Muskie fisherman, I see this question having an impact on the possibilities creating true trophy potential waters in this great state in the future and that it is a backlash on the attempts last year to create trophy Muskie size limits on a very small percentage of lakes in the northwoods.Thank you for taking the time to reply to question.************************************************************

Edited by SharpHooks 3/8/2004 12:29 PM

Posted 3/8/2004 9:48 PM (#99839 - in reply to #99570)

If any of you have contacts in the Bass Clubs or Trout Unlimmited it may be wise to make them aware of this question. This wouldn't sit well with those organizations either i would think.
SharpHooks
Posted 3/9/2004 8:12 AM (#99889 - in reply to #99761)

Here is additional information I have received on Fishing license numbers for the last 30years from the DNR.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 73-02 license data FINAL.xls (28KB - 141 downloads)
CiscoKid
Posted 3/9/2004 12:28 PM (#99930 - in reply to #99570)

Great data! Very interesting to note the dramatic decline of Non-Resident license purchases! Why should a non-resident come to WI when they can go to Minnesota where 120 50"+ muskies were caught compared to Wisconsin's 6 50"+ muskies! Yes this was only Muskies Inc. info that was reported, but it's a pretty good sampling.

Edited by CiscoKid 3/9/2004 12:31 PM
CiscoKid
Posted 3/9/2004 1:38 PM (#99947 - in reply to #99570)

For those who may not know, here is the link to the WI DNR site with all the questions to be voted on listed, as well as the locations of the meeting.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/nrboard/congress/springhearings/2004...
CiscoKid
Posted 3/11/2004 7:21 AM (#100152 - in reply to #99570)

bttt
CiscoKid
Posted 3/17/2004 11:56 AM (#100874 - in reply to #99570)

BTTT