Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> 2015 minnesota 54" size limit

Message Subject: 2015 minnesota 54" size limit
FAT-SKI
Posted 11/26/2014 12:08 PM (#741768 - in reply to #741661)
Subject: Re: 2015 minnesota 54" size limit

BFD - 11/25/2014 3:11 PM

FAT-SKI - 11/25/2014 11:37 AM
only issue here is, if muskies inc stopped giving them money, NO stocking would get done at all. So giving them money for the little stocking they do do, is better then not at all. Muskies INC over the last few years has been picking up all the MNDNR's slack. We need muskies inc to keep giving them money or were all screwed

FAT-SKI
I don't know where you got that information, but that is not correct.

---
Soooooo .... Correct it then. Don't just tell me I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong. Inform all of us so we can all be up to date.

All I know is when I was part of muskies inc. There was copious amounts of complaining about how little money for stocking the DNR had. and how we were picking up slack, more specifically on specific lakes or projects. I have been out of the muskies inc game for about two years now. Maybe things are different. I guess I wouldn't know anymore. All I can go off of is what I experienced myself when I was there. I have also heard the quote of "we have got to much in the past" from the commish as treats stated. These are just my opinions on what I saw and witnessed
BFD
Posted 11/26/2014 4:24 PM (#741795 - in reply to #740572)

Fat-Ski,
If Muskies Inc was to fold up shop today, the DNR would continue to stock fish in the designated muskies lakes according to plan. Does Muskie Inc help to stock supplemental fish, absolutely, primarily in the metro area and western portion of the state. Muskie Inc is a responsible for helping out with a small portion of the fish statewide.
Our chapter along with a private business has tried to give them money in the past to stock additional fish in some of the longville lakes and has been turned away. I don't think its as much of a money issue as it is actually getting available fish for stocking and gaining public support for new waters. I should have clarified that we should not keep giving them additional funds for studies and equipment until we see some progress on gaining additional muskie lakes
sworrall
Posted 11/26/2014 11:09 PM (#741825 - in reply to #741768)

FAT-SKI - 11/26/2014 12:08 PM

BFD - 11/25/2014 3:11 PM

FAT-SKI - 11/25/2014 11:37 AM
only issue here is, if muskies inc stopped giving them money, NO stocking would get done at all. Not true, the MNDNR would continue to stock as was mentioned in an earlier post by Treats. He knows. So giving them money for the little stocking they do do, is better then not at all. Again, not even close to accurate and pretty rude, too Muskies INC over the last few years has been picking up all the MNDNR's slack. Define 'slack', and I'd suggest you drop the attitude if you intend to represent MI...that isn't what they are about and never will be; MI has been there to assist with Muskie programs across the country as a positive and cooperative force in concert with biologists and fisheries managers, and isn't even CLOSE to 'picking up the MNDNR's 'slack' We need muskies inc to keep giving them money or were all screwed The cooperative effort has been productive, but keep spreading this crap, and you may find your fisheries manager less willing to work with your club and other 'Muskie activists'

FAT-SKI
I don't know where you got that information, but that is not correct.

---
Soooooo .... Correct it then.OK, see above Don't just tell me I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong. Inform all of us so we can all be up to date. Again, see above. You are seriously uninformed and misrepresenting MI AND the MNDNR.
All I know is when I was part of muskies inc. There was copious amounts of complaining (since when is bar talk and complaining reality?) about how little money for stocking the DNR had See my Great Recession remark. What the hell, did you miss that international event?. and how we were picking up slack, more specifically on specific lakes or projects. I have been out of the muskies inc game for about two years now. Maybe things are different. I guess I wouldn't know anymore. All I can go off of is what I experienced myself when I was there. I have also heard the quote of "we have got to much in the past" from the commish as treats stated And that is reality, as one group can't manipulate and/or control the entire fisheries program for long, no matter how badly they want to. Continued good PR, careful cooperation with fisheries folks, and upward applied pressure is what is needed. Not everyone thinks all the lakes need Muskie stocking or would agree with the expense of doing so...tough to win that battle, and the more stupid and angry the comments are online the more you lose. Yes, the DNR's across the country watch this sort of thing . These are just my opinions on what I saw and witnessed

I can't express how this strikes me as prophesy fulfilled from just a few years ago.

While you bite the very hands that feed you, please remember that you have one hell of a fishery over there that's worth preserving as best you can, and it takes the DNR, State Government, and a powerful lobby to move forward in a meaningful way. Not easy to accomplish because that takes money, people willing to work hard and not just a handful as those guys WILL burn out. Either you are all in, or not.

sworrall
Posted 11/26/2014 11:17 PM (#741826 - in reply to #741795)

BFD - 11/26/2014 4:24 PM

Fat-Ski,
If Muskies Inc was to fold up shop today, the DNR would continue to stock fish in the designated muskies lakes according to plan. Does Muskie Inc help to stock supplemental fish, absolutely, primarily in the metro area and western portion of the state. Muskie Inc is a responsible for helping out with a small portion of the fish statewide.
Our chapter along with a private business has tried to give them money in the past to stock additional fish in some of the longville lakes and has been turned away. I don't think its as much of a money issue as it is actually getting available fish for stocking and gaining public support for new waters. I should have clarified that we should not keep giving them additional funds for studies and equipment until we see some progress on gaining additional muskie lakes

frustration is understandable, but I think you are offering a fatally flawed approach. The DNR doesn't NEED MI, but MI REALLY NEEDS cooperation from the DNR. Slapping at them won't get you very far.

Muskies Inc should NEVER be part of anything like that, especially broadcast on a message board. Talk about a potential PR nightmare...
Long TIme Lurker
Posted 11/27/2014 6:29 AM (#741831 - in reply to #740572)
Subject: RE: 2015 minnesota 54" size limit

I live in Iowa and only vacation in MN. I am a member of muskies INC.

I guess my thought is, how often does I'm gonna take my ball and go home work?

You think the dark house guys did that? They have a fraction of the support we have and they have made great strides.

America is like a brothel. Our current political system is like a giant line of prostitutes. They all have hands out and you give them your money you get what you want. Those that have figured that out have made great strides. Those that have not are pushed to the side.

Does the dark house association stock fish? I mean maybe they do but I have never read about it?

So yes STOP STOCKING FISH. START buying politicians. Give them votes, give them money, give them influence. Watch our lobby gain influence and use our system to FORCE what we want down the throats of others. We want a DNR head favorable to our cause? Lobby it, Either buy his leadership and force his hand, or have him replaced, or use the legislature to shove our agenda down his throat against his will.

For the price of a couple lures each we could buy the lobby to get back 100 fold what we spent. (Our own #*^@ money we already gave them anyway).

Play like the dark house guys or the environmental guys, or anyone else who has used our system to take from you and shove their agenda down your throat against your will.

We can stock our fish, be nice guys, and think somebody some day will see how nice we are and help us. The outcome will be a long languish on the vine.

Just a dismal reality of the world we live.

Hmmm......

Maybe I should stop reading the newspaper or watching house of cards?
FAT-SKI
Posted 11/29/2014 4:40 PM (#742080 - in reply to #741831)

Just for the record I represent NO ONE other then myself.

It is very possible I misinterpreted the information I thought I was receiving. If you want, delete my posts if you thought I was being rude. That was not my intention nor do I have any negative thoughts towards MI or its followers. Especially since I used to be one. I think MI is a much NEEDED resource for us as outdoorsman and anglers. Trust me I know that they do a SH*T load of good things not only for the BA fishery that we have here, but also for the youth community around the country. I am not bashing MI in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. I apologize if my typing skills made you interpret my thoughts incorrectly. I was just relaying information that I received and probably perceived incorrectly. My bad ... If I was coming down on anyone it was NOT Muskies INC
dfkiii
Posted 11/29/2014 8:53 PM (#742103 - in reply to #741831)

Cynical ? Sure. True ? So close to true that it's impossible to dismiss.

If we could get the general public to get out and vote with the same zeal and fervor they possess for a 5AM doorbuster sale at Cabela's maybe things would change for the better. Sadly, the average American is brainwashed by the media outlet that is aligned with whichever of the end of the political continuum they believe in.

You get the government you deserve folks.

Long TIme Lurker - 11/27/2014 6:29 AM

I live in Iowa and only vacation in MN. I am a member of muskies INC.

I guess my thought is, how often does I'm gonna take my ball and go home work?

You think the dark house guys did that? They have a fraction of the support we have and they have made great strides.

America is like a brothel. Our current political system is like a giant line of prostitutes. They all have hands out and you give them your money you get what you want. Those that have figured that out have made great strides. Those that have not are pushed to the side.

Does the dark house association stock fish? I mean maybe they do but I have never read about it?

So yes STOP STOCKING FISH. START buying politicians. Give them votes, give them money, give them influence. Watch our lobby gain influence and use our system to FORCE what we want down the throats of others. We want a DNR head favorable to our cause? Lobby it, Either buy his leadership and force his hand, or have him replaced, or use the legislature to shove our agenda down his throat against his will.

For the price of a couple lures each we could buy the lobby to get back 100 fold what we spent. (Our own #*^@ money we already gave them anyway).

Play like the dark house guys or the environmental guys, or anyone else who has used our system to take from you and shove their agenda down your throat against your will.

We can stock our fish, be nice guys, and think somebody some day will see how nice we are and help us. The outcome will be a long languish on the vine.

Just a dismal reality of the world we live.

Hmmm......

Maybe I should stop reading the newspaper or watching house of cards?
sworrall
Posted 11/29/2014 11:22 PM (#742112 - in reply to #742080)

FAT-SKI - 11/29/2014 4:40 PM

Just for the record I represent NO ONE other then myself.

It is very possible I misinterpreted the information I thought I was receiving. If you want, delete my posts if you thought I was being rude. That was not my intention nor do I have any negative thoughts towards MI or its followers. Especially since I used to be one. I think MI is a much NEEDED resource for us as outdoorsman and anglers. Trust me I know that they do a SH*T load of good things not only for the BA fishery that we have here, but also for the youth community around the country. I am not bashing MI in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. I apologize if my typing skills made you interpret my thoughts incorrectly. I was just relaying information that I received and probably perceived incorrectly. My bad ... If I was coming down on anyone it was NOT Muskies INC

You asked for someone to 'Soooooo .... Correct it then. Don't just tell me I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong. Inform all of us so we can all be up to date. '

I tried (best as I could) to do so, and was trying to do so in the correct spirit of the conversation. Good information all the way around, folks need to know what other folks are thinking. No worries from this quarter or any other, I'd wager.

I would restate the part about the Fisheries managers and DNRs, though. Some folks think a sledge hammer is a good negotiating tool. My experience is just the opposite.
ToddM
Posted 11/30/2014 11:19 AM (#742137 - in reply to #740572)

If someone thinks a sledgehammer is a good tool, use it to enter your friends house next time you go there. Don't bother with the door bell. The DNR does not lime to be undermined. Managing is their responsibility. MI is a great way, along with club alliances to help, gain the ear, respect and favor of the DNR. It is a slow process.
Larry Ramsell
Posted 11/30/2014 12:17 PM (#742139 - in reply to #740572)

MN guys should be happy to have enough big fish to justify a 54" size limit!
rodbender
Posted 11/30/2014 1:17 PM (#742147 - in reply to #742139)

yep. cant complain too much (sadly, we ALL still do) . I love the fact I can choose between several lakes and have a legitimate shot at hooking a 50+ on any given day and can be downtown in a major metropolitan that night! All minutes from home. Come to think of it, You out of state guys keep your size limits down, we'll gladly take your travel $ when you want to come over. hehe.
To have the number of musky waters Wisconsin has in Minnesota with the 54 SL...Man! that would really be something! maybe one day.
tolle141
Posted 12/1/2014 7:10 PM (#742323 - in reply to #740572)

Would just be nice to have them add some more lakes to diffuse some of the pressure. They've done an epic job of creating the ones we have. Let's keep the good things going.
Muskiefool
Posted 12/20/2014 7:24 PM (#744890 - in reply to #740572)

I thought we did pretty well, MMPA and its members are in it for the long haul. This 54 statewide may have jaded us before its implemented for some reason. Its not going to hurt the size of fish, there's plenty of examples of that from MN to Canada. Its going to be a fishery controlled by big fish for the most part as would happen naturally. We need to find a way to sustain a quality fishery under continually tightening budgets. There's a trend opposing Muskies and everything we have gained over the past 50 years has been under constant resistance. If not from the usual Muskie haters its been from our own then the legislature and the DNR all with varying degrees. A good friend told me before I started doing this that getting Muskie fisherman to go in the same direction is like herding Muskies. We're getting better at herding Muskies too.

I cant thank all of you who have supported MI and the MMPA to help us achieve this, its truly the result of your input and commitment and us directing that energy to the locations it will help Muskies the most. I'm impressed by how much we can get done when we need to. Treats this is the Cosa Nostra; we'll keep dragging you back in lol..  

Espy
Posted 12/23/2014 9:44 AM (#745165 - in reply to #740572)

So Basically, by raising the minimum to 54", the goal is to keep more of the larger population of Muskies in the lakes correct? The majority of fish over 48" are in fact females, which by keeping more of them in the lakes longer promotes more natural reproduction or at the least a larger population of big fish for people to catch. I don't see an issue with it, and most of the muskie fishing community already know and practice the benefits of 100% catch and release regardless of size. Make it 100% catch and release law, that will just ensure more fish are put back and people can stop complaining about stocking and worry about sustaining the populations we already have. People are focusing on the wrong things, what good is dumping more fish into lakes when you cant sustain the population you already have?
Musky Pete
Posted 12/23/2014 1:07 PM (#745181 - in reply to #741441)

I guess if someone bought some musky fingerlings from a private hatchery and they accidentally jumped out of the boat into some lake, WHO WOULD KNOW???
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)