Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: what would libby do?
- (Added by: kap)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Help Weighting Bucktails

Message Subject: Help Weighting Bucktails
NathanH
Posted 11/14/2014 9:57 AM (#740065)
Subject: Help Weighting Bucktails

I wanted to start making a few Bucktail lures. I was planning on making a weight forward model. I want the lure to weight to be around 1.5 oz or so. I was thinking of using a 1oz body is that too much? I have never put together a Bucktail, So thanks in advance.
jakejusa
Posted 11/14/2014 12:36 PM (#740084 - in reply to #740065)
Subject: RE: Help Weighting Bucktails

in my humble opinion I think you need weight front and rear. You get a flat retrieve almost but more so to keep that last hook in the working zone. It is my personal belief that many tend to make too light of bucktails. I like mine heavy so I can feel the thump of the blades and get down in the water column. The nice thing about bucks is if you make a bad one cut the wire and start over with the same components.
ToddM
Posted 11/14/2014 1:55 PM (#740091 - in reply to #740065)
Subject: Re: Help Weighting Bucktails

The only drawback with eight forward is casting, the bucktail will travel nose first and tangles more often on the leader. Weight both ends but weighting bucktails is up to the application, would troll well.
chadw18
Posted 11/15/2014 10:47 AM (#740188 - in reply to #740091)

Like stated you want to make it somewhat even. Remember to account for the blades and beads/bodies for weight also. Another thing I have done is when tying with multiple sections of skirting I'd to but an egg sinker between the two sections of flash to help keep it balanced.
chadw18
Posted 11/15/2014 10:49 AM (#740189 - in reply to #740188)

Buy extra pieces of wire and just try different combinations until you get what you want. All part of the fun.

Edited by chadw18 11/15/2014 10:49 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)