Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Hey, take this" Running_Hot (just before smacking me in the face with a sucker)
- (Added by: Slamr)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Sharpening tools

Message Subject: Sharpening tools
spoonpluggergino
Posted 10/27/2014 10:16 AM (#737026)
Subject: Sharpening tools

This question for the experienced wood lathe pro on sharpening lathe turning tools.
What do I need to purchase beside a grinder with the proper grinding wheel, I did do a search, found some good info on making jigs for the angle of different gouges to sharpen the correct angle, I do not understand it fully as of now but I am sure that if I spend sometime understanding it I may be able to do it
Any info on what I need to do will be greatly appreciated
Thank You All

Gino
mnmusky
Posted 10/27/2014 12:11 PM (#737054 - in reply to #737026)
Subject: Re: Sharpening tools

Gino, I don't sharpen my lathe tools as to do it well is an art in itself. Not to mention a good grinding wet wheel like a Tormek is big bucks. I have 3 of the same Robert Sorby tools I use most. I bring them to Rockler when I'm down to the last sharp ones. They have a guy that picks them up for sharpening at $7 a piece to sharpen. He does an amazing job. Just throwing that out there for an option. If you have something like that in your area. Also, those carbide replaceable tip gouges look like a good option. I just don't care for the shape of them and that's why I used sorby.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 10/27/2014 12:39 PM (#737067 - in reply to #737026)

There are a couple of cheaper low rpm grinders out there as well as jigs to hold the tools. I bought mine on sale at woodcraft a few years ago. Key is low rpm. If you use a normal bench grinder you will overheat the metal almost instantly which wrecks the tool. Having them sharpened isn't a bad idea. I use a diamond hone to touch up my tools and really only sharpen on a wheel after the hone doesn't seem to be doin the trick. If you are doing softer woods you could go quite a while before you need a sharpening.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 10/27/2014 12:42 PM (#737068 - in reply to #737067)

Here's the ones I have. Also buying carbide tools is the best option. Never sharpen again!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (77KB - 111 downloads)
spoonpluggergino
Posted 10/27/2014 2:52 PM (#737116 - in reply to #737026)

Thank You
Due to your info I was able to find two location near my home that one is a Rockler hardware store that I can take the tools there and get them sharpened, the other is Berland tools and handles Rockler tools. Great help thank you every one, and Trophyseeker I will take your advise and purchase carbide tools, I am pretty sure that Rockler should have them

Gino
mnmusky
Posted 10/27/2014 3:14 PM (#737120 - in reply to #737026)

They do..Rockler carry sorby, another brand (forget the name) that has the movable/replaceable tips and their own brand with the carbide tips. They will cost you more upfront but over the life of the tool, you will save with the replaceable tips and the hassle of sharpening.
Musky Glenn
Posted 10/27/2014 3:37 PM (#737129 - in reply to #737026)

Sharpening chisels is not that hard to do on a bench grinder. Just try to maintain the same angle as it came with new. I would recommend you touch the chisel to the wheel and remove it to see how it is contacting the wheel and adjust the angle you are holding the chisel. A lot of different angles will still cut nicely for making wooden lures, etc. The problem arises when the tip turns blue looking. This is caused by to much pressure for to long a period of time. But I have never had this condition hurt the actual cutting quality of the chisel. Here is a good way to learn to sharpen a chisel. Take an eight inch wore out, flat file and make a round nose scrape out of it. Grind 2 inches of teeth off of the bottom side, round the end, under cut the bottom side to your liking, add wooden handle and you have as good a scrape as needed. Musky Glenn

Edited by Musky Glenn 10/27/2014 3:40 PM
Kenslures
Posted 10/28/2014 6:47 AM (#737284 - in reply to #737026)

Definitely the way to go is with the carbide tools if they are in your reach cost wise. If not the best way to sharpen a tool is to put magic marker over the complete area to be sharpened. Gently grind and you can see if you have the angle close to what it was. You don't need to take a lot off. To hone or strop the edge you can get a leather or rubber wheel at WoodCraft that fits into a drill. ** Make sure the leather or rubber wheel is rotating away from the cutting edge or it will grab and kick back This is very important but not hard to do. They have a honing cream you apply to the wheel. Very little is needed. You can hone this several times before having to grind again. With a little practice it will become very easy. A fine diamond hone works well but you get a better edge by honing. I've been sharpening tools since 1970 and it really not that hard. Always remember to take it slow and don't push hard or you will get a lot of heat build up. Also when purchasing lathe tools, you only use a few so you don't need to buy a whole set. You can practice on an old file until you get the hang of it. Hope this helps and if anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help if I can. Remember to always use extreme caution so the tool don't kick back. I have a low rpm water wheel that I bought many years ago and it was $800 then so that's not a practical solution for the average bait maker. Ken
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)