Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New MN Trailer Laws In 2015--For Everyone!

Message Subject: New MN Trailer Laws In 2015--For Everyone!
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/3/2014 9:49 AM (#733118 - in reply to #733117)
Subject: Re: New MN Trailer Laws In 2015--For Everyone!

Pal - 10/3/2014 9:47 AM

Pointerpride102 - 10/3/2014 9:40 AM

Pal - 10/3/2014 9:23 AM

How about the Bighead carp getting caught in the St Croix, or has that shipped sailed ?.

I heard another 20 pound bighead was caught about a week ago although nary a mention about it from the MN DNR ..... that is not good for my favorite river

We have dedicated staff working on the bighead carp issue. I haven't heard any follow up on the most recent catch but I have a meeting next Tuesday where it will likely be discussed. The carp have been a concern for a while.

Thanks Mike.

Anything you can share out of that meeting would be appreciated. I fish the Croix quite a bit, so that is very big concern.

I will see what I can track down for you.
scmuskies
Posted 10/3/2014 10:44 AM (#733125 - in reply to #733113)

Hydrilla - that there be some potentially nasty stuff. BTW, neither here nor there, but MN's AIS grant program is light years ahead of WI - I loathe ours... Especially with the new update.

sc

Edited by scmuskies 10/3/2014 10:46 AM
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/3/2014 12:03 PM (#733140 - in reply to #733125)

scmuskies - 10/3/2014 10:44 AM

Hydrilla - that there be some potentially nasty stuff. BTW, neither here nor there, but MN's AIS grant program is light years ahead of WI - I loathe ours... Especially with the new update.

sc

Hydrilla makes EWM seem nice.

I just read the WDNR's bait shop initiative. Do you know if that is still happening? I read the case study done by UW. I've been thinking of pushing for something like this to help get the word out about the bait water exchange law here in MN. In general, most people don't know or don't understand the law.

I've also been pushing hard for more work around the movement and sale of docks and lifts and related equipment. In reality it could take several boats transporting veligers (assuming they are weed free, but not drained) but it only takes one dock or lift. Docks and lifts are incredibly difficult to decontaminate with hot water, though freezing over the winter is a guarantee. Our education program is geared primarily to public access users. Ideally if the sale of used dock and lift equipment, not done through a dealer, could be limited to winter months I think we'd being doing well. A very valid argument could be made that docks and lifts are a greater risk than the average boater.
scmuskies
Posted 10/3/2014 12:55 PM (#733145 - in reply to #732720)

No, first I heard of the bait shop thing & read up on it (thanks!). From ones I've been in there is very little AIS info at them & I agree, it's a great point of contact.

Also agree on the docks & lifts - just look on craigslist & see what's for sale out there & likely 9/10 owners wouldn't think twice about where it came from. Lake Geneva, Mad Chain, Big Green, much of SE WI in Kenosha, Racine, & Waukesha Counties - that's a crap ton of lifts here and I'm sure even more in the bigger MN waters.
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/9/2014 11:27 AM (#734152 - in reply to #732720)

Pal,

As promised, here is what I found out about the bighead carp. You are correct that a 901 mm (35.4 inch) 21 lb 5 oz bighead carp was captured by a commercial angler under DNR contract, at the mouth of the St. Croix river. The fish was shipped, intact, to the USGS in Missouri as sex was not determined at time of capture. The reason there was little word from the DNR is because bighead carp have been captured in this general area in the past. The DNR has been gill netting the St. Croix in conjunction with another project. I have not heard results from the gill netting as of yet.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)