Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Week of warm weather - sunny skies - how to approach

Message Subject: Week of warm weather - sunny skies - how to approach
joncraze
Posted 9/22/2014 11:56 AM (#731306)
Subject: Week of warm weather - sunny skies - how to approach

So folks I'm up on my trip and the weather looks to be consistently sunny and high 60's this week. The consistency makes me feel good - but the generally high pressure above the 30 mark does not.

A front moved through saturday night and musky fishing was dead on sunday - though i did catch a 5.5 LB smallie on a spinner so that was a nice surprise. This morning it seems to be on the rebound - got a roll and a follow on topwater but both didn't seem hot. Is this to be expected for the week or should it stabalize as the weather stabalizes?

Anyway just wondering how you all are approaching this weeks weather in northern wisconsin - I'm in Rusk county fishing a flowage. Water temps have been 55-60 and wind was very hard from the North yesterday but seems to be kicking up from the south again.

Anyways just trying to do my best to catch some fish on my last trip of the year, thanks.

Edited by joncraze 9/22/2014 11:57 AM
curleytail
Posted 9/22/2014 12:03 PM (#731308 - in reply to #731306)
Subject: Re: Week of warm weather - sunny skies - how to approach

I've had pretty good luck this time of year with the weather we have coming. Some guys don't like it, but I'd had decent luck just fishing regular weedlines and over top of weed beds during a fall warm up. I think with how consistent the weather will be, fishing should be ok. Maybe it won't be nuts, but I'd guess some fish will bite.

On a flowage I'd fish the shallow weeds with bucktails, jerkbaits, walk the dog or tail rotating topwaters, or whatever else you like that fishes slow. Try that first and see what happens.
cave run legend
Posted 9/22/2014 12:40 PM (#731315 - in reply to #731308)

Fish hard, you will eventually get a pattern going.
joncraze
Posted 9/22/2014 1:06 PM (#731320 - in reply to #731306)
Subject: RE: Week of warm weather - sunny skies - how to approach

question i have.

It seemed I'd gotten onto a pattern up to saturday evening, would that pattern still hold true now that the front is through? After talking to a local guy it sounded like much of what i had found was also found by others. It feels like a good play to start but it sounds like I should be trying to slow my presentation down right now.
cave run legend
Posted 9/22/2014 1:46 PM (#731328 - in reply to #731320)

Water will be warming during the days. I would fish shallow and fish a little slower baits like curley said and I would slow roll supermodels. Iif you are getting lazy follows speed up some.

Edited by cave run legend 9/22/2014 1:48 PM
husky_jerk
Posted 9/22/2014 6:18 PM (#731371 - in reply to #731328)

If the traditional stuff isn't working for you, try the ripping a jointed depth raider (floating model) over the weeds. When you start the retrieve, rod tip high and rip. Repeat until you reach the weed edge, then rod tip down straight retrieve.

That has occasionally produced in those specific conditions.

curleytail
Posted 9/22/2014 9:09 PM (#731405 - in reply to #731306)

Normally at this time of year my retrieve speeds are fairly moderate. Not fast, but not crawling things along either. The water is still plenty warm that fish can move quick when they want to.

Always have to experiment to see what's going on, but in general I love fishing a Cowgirl at a medium pace this time of year, or if on a shallow stained flowage, slower moving topwater can be really good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)