Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> techniques for the cold next few weeks

Message Subject: techniques for the cold next few weeks
curleytail
Posted 9/13/2014 1:02 AM (#729895 - in reply to #729891)
Subject: Re: techniques for the cold next few weeks

Pointerpride102 - 9/12/2014 11:08 PM

So plants can even start growing under the ice!

Not sure they start growing, but they don't stop living.
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/13/2014 9:55 AM (#729919 - in reply to #729679)
Subject: RE: techniques for the cold next few weeks

I've never bought into the whole 'fish avoid dying weeds' theory, for fall fishing. Do green weeds tend to hold more fish? Many have seen a dead patch of milfoil in the middle of the live stand of green broadleaf, be the magnet. Some lakes contain nothing but milfoil/junk weeds that tend to decay in cold water periods. Fish use it year round.

I think one also needs to consider cold front fishing, vs. seasonal cooldown. The photoperiod/sun angle this time of year, coupled with extended cool weather patterns cause many things to happen in the shallows. Emerald Shiners and other regional shad species spawn in the fall, coupled with certain 'false runs' exhibited by some game fish. Frog migrations, sucker/creek exits, aquatic invertebrate movements, all occur on some/many bodies of water and can be discussed on their own merit, but can add up to success, once understood.

As someone mentioned, the shallows are more affected by warmups/cooldowns than the greater depths. It's my BST that for those reasons(perhaps not this year), fish don't mind being up shallow this time of year based on comfort factor alone. Ever ice fish for trout? They will inhabit extreme shallows on natural lakes under the ice. While they require cooler water during summer, they can also handle colder temps during winter.

Edited by Reef Hawg 9/13/2014 10:11 AM
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/13/2014 11:07 AM (#729924 - in reply to #729895)

curleytail - 9/13/2014 1:02 AM

Pointerpride102 - 9/12/2014 11:08 PM

So plants can even start growing under the ice!

Not sure they start growing, but they don't stop living. ;)

Curly leaf pondweed can start growing under the ice. Most die out early in the summer and wash up on shore and their decomposition can cause algal blooms.
sworrall
Posted 9/14/2014 12:48 PM (#730032 - in reply to #729679)

We moved quite a few fish the last couple days, and boated a couple. All were in 3' or less. Slamr had good action on a Weagle, but the stupid fish kept closing their mouths too soon. I got a couple 'pins', one on a Lake X topwater (first fish on that bait, and it SMOKED it) and one on a HI Suick. Saw some very nice fish, a couple which I shall pursue as soon as this evening.

My dock rope was frozen in an inch of ice in the splashwell yesterday morning. Went to combo water after it warmed up a bit and the Goldens fished muskies while Sue and I caught dinner. Good times.

60s highs and 40s lows now for 10 days or so. Fishing is going to be really good. Temps in 3' were 57 after the big rain, and by yesterday evening were back to 61.9 to 62.5 North shores. Main lake on the 8-10' breaklines was 58-59.
MNSteveH
Posted 9/15/2014 3:56 PM (#730215 - in reply to #729679)

I don't know why, and really who cares .... at least some fish do move very shallow (1-2 ft!) as the water cools - at least from about now until at least couple weeks after turnover... I especially like inside edges this time of year, and on a sunny day sand, although shallow following fish can be tough to trick... most of the shallow/sand fish I catch hit near the end of a long cast -
goose007us
Posted 9/16/2014 2:44 PM (#730351 - in reply to #729679)

Approximately, how long would you guys say this pattern of fish moving shallow lasts, i.e. Does it last up until ice up or is there another phase following turn over, etc?

Edited by goose007us 9/16/2014 2:45 PM
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/16/2014 4:38 PM (#730367 - in reply to #730351)

goose007us - 9/16/2014 2:44 PM

Approximately, how long would you guys say this pattern of fish moving shallow lasts, i.e. Does it last up until ice up or is there another phase following turn over, etc?

It is really dependant on the body of water you are fishing. Because you mentioned turnover, I'm guessing a lake, in which case, the shallow pattern may or may not manifest itself noticeably in the first place. If it does, it can persist to a degree right through the fall period. In general, fish start to move deep, the colder it gets and the winter period looms, but you should always keep the shallows honest. They can feel a degree in temperature change from a long ways, and can thusly make large movements both daily and seasonally. In the end, your lake will likely exhibit a slightly different pattern than the one your buddy fishes. Comparing that data/experience can help you develop a milk run and continue it to the fullest once it starts, eventually forecasting when the next lake you fish will get hot. Putting it together is the fun part, when it works...

Edited by Reef Hawg 9/16/2014 4:45 PM
Mr Musky
Posted 9/16/2014 8:39 PM (#730397 - in reply to #729679)

Just returned from Vilas, coldest water we found was 55 degrees, most lakes were 58/59. Fish are scattered all over the place, very short windows for us. Turnover will be real soon if this keeps up . Suckers are next to impossible to get. We found a handful shallow but not many.
MNSteveH
Posted 9/17/2014 9:45 PM (#730580 - in reply to #729679)

Depending upon forage base and other factors I'll last at least until a couple weeks after turnover, and even later when you get a nice sunny day... Turnover pushes them shallow because they are seeking the clearer, more oxygen-rich water. Late afternoons after a nice sunny day is a key time to try shallow. A few years ago I had a nice fish come out of about 2' of water next to a dead patch of millfoil on Dec 5th - it was almost 60 that day and iced up less than a week later.

I will say the shallow fish can be tricky to get to open up - esp on clearer water - they follow very actively but get spooked easily. It can be very frustrating to see a bunch and not have any biters. I've been bird-dogging a nice fish the past 3-4 days - every night same thing - it follows out pretty aggressively on the proper cast into the spot, and then turns away at the boat. Never see it more than once a try ... 3 nights tried three different baits - rubber, jerkbait, topwater - same result all three times... somebody's going to get that one!

Of course that's to say there aren't fish deep too... when the shallow followers give me fits I'l go back to working deep edges and sometimes get one that way too .... esp after turnover they can be anywhere.
WiscoMusky
Posted 9/18/2014 12:36 AM (#730590 - in reply to #729679)

Awesome discussion from everyone. I really appreciate all the opinions, and I have to agree with a lot that is being talked about.

Obviously each lake is different- whether it be location, forage, water tempature or clarity, or a number of other factors. But this discussion helped me think about how to approach a long period of fall cold periods.

I am fishing this weekend, and can't wait to put some of this talk to work. I will post some findings following my efforts.
cave run legend
Posted 9/18/2014 10:30 AM (#730641 - in reply to #729679)

Water is in the high 70's @ the cave. I am going to be burning 10's and 13's this weekend.
TonyT65
Posted 9/18/2014 10:51 AM (#730646 - in reply to #730580)

did not know I could still fish for muskies after dec in Minnesota ???
mnmusky
Posted 9/18/2014 1:27 PM (#730674 - in reply to #730646)

TonyT65 - 9/18/2014 10:51 AM

did not know I could still fish for muskies after dec in Minnesota ???

Cant. .dont
teddy b
Posted 9/18/2014 4:18 PM (#730696 - in reply to #729679)

06/07/14 - 12/01/14

Muskellunge (Muskie) - 2014 season

You can fish muskies in Dec in MN.
Musky952
Posted 9/18/2014 6:04 PM (#730719 - in reply to #729839)

Would you say the same for lakes around Mille Lacs? I have a cabin up there and have been fishing musky all summer not the best luck on the lake I have been hitting hard this summer. It is a deep lake and most fish I have seen have been throwing bates from weed beds out to open water. Do you thhink I should start getting close to those weed beds and look for the shallow spawning areas for musky this time of year with the conditions we have right now?
bwalsh
Posted 10/6/2014 10:05 AM (#733503 - in reply to #729893)

Do you suppose this shallow pattern would still be holding true in Northern WI?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)