Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing lakes with a major Algae Bloom

Message Subject: Fishing lakes with a major Algae Bloom
FISHFINDER101
Posted 7/22/2014 1:43 PM (#721840)
Subject: Fishing lakes with a major Algae Bloom

I'm wondering how others fish lakes that have a considerable amount of algae in places. I havent had much luck if any fishing spots with a ton of aglae floating on top of the water. I usually try to just avoid these areas compeletly and find cleaner areas to fish. I was just on lake Wissota this last weekend and did not have a lot of time to explore the entire lake and the area that i was in had algae floating over the entire surface. Some spots had less visable, mainly because boats had been through there recently. I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck or feedback on fishing these sort of conditions.
achotrod
Posted 7/22/2014 2:54 PM (#721854 - in reply to #721840)
Subject: Re: Fishing lakes with a major Algae Bloom

Some guys out of my MI chapter had one of the best days ever fishing pea soup. They were using small bucktails and boated 6 fish and lost one or 2 in a couple hours. Almost like fish were attracted to the nastiest looking water in the lake.
ToddM
Posted 7/22/2014 5:53 PM (#721881 - in reply to #721840)

White, black for colors and topwaters work well in the green water.
whitetailchaser1
Posted 7/22/2014 7:05 PM (#721894 - in reply to #721840)
Subject: RE: Fishing lakes with a major Algae Bloom

I'm here at Sabaskong and the water is very dirty. Dark tea. High water Any ideas?
Rudedog
Posted 7/22/2014 7:15 PM (#721897 - in reply to #721894)

"here at Sabaskong....."
- Cowgirls.

Edited by Rudedog 7/22/2014 7:17 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 7/22/2014 7:21 PM (#721901 - in reply to #721840)

Fish still gotta eat. Might be more difficult for them to get a visual on your lure, (HINT) bit they still gotta eat..
Herb_b
Posted 7/23/2014 10:50 AM (#721969 - in reply to #721840)

I'd recommend using copper/brown in Sabaskong Bay. Look for cabbage in the rocks and bounce a spinner bait through the tops of the weeds and over the rocks. The bigger the rocks the better.
curleytail
Posted 7/23/2014 11:25 AM (#721976 - in reply to #721840)

I used to fish Wissota a lot, and the bloom never bothered me much. I only struggled in the shallow water when the water temps rose in the summer.

I used a lot of bucktails and spinnerbaits. Firetirer or black/flame or black/chart seemed to work well. Also did very well on slow moving Weagles, Pacemakers, and Stompers (walk the dog and tail rotating topwater) in black or black/orange belly. I really liked topwater out there. Caught a lot of fish on top, even an hour two after sunset, which you might not always think about in water that dark with a bloom, but it worked. Think shallow, 2-5 feet.

For Sabaskong, good luck, and wake them up for me. I'll be there for the first time the 2nd weekend in August.
FISHFINDER101
Posted 7/23/2014 1:18 PM (#721998 - in reply to #721840)

All great suggestions, I was wondering if most people tried to avoid those usually. It's nice to know that others have done well in them since a few places i like to go around home have had problems with this lately. I used suicks and bucktails, changing up my retrieves in the shallows, along down trees and some rocky areas. Only fished a couple hours on a new lake so wasnt to let down that i didnt have any action. Thanks for all the suggestions.
tundrawalker00
Posted 6/12/2015 6:16 PM (#772392 - in reply to #721840)

Great thread. Hopefully the blooms aren't as bad this year. Does anybody know if it's possible to get under a bloom? Do they go top to bottom? Any divers on this thread?
sworrall
Posted 6/12/2015 9:50 PM (#772424 - in reply to #721840)

Green water has treated me well. I use loud lures. Indiana blades VS Colorado, LOUD topwater VS quiet, no gliders. Suicks are loud, those are money in dirty water.
horsehunter
Posted 6/13/2015 6:58 AM (#772444 - in reply to #721840)

Our local lake used to look like a putting green by Sept. Didn't hurt the fishing which 3 or 4 of us had all to ourselves except for a few Flatlanders that would occasionally show up. Lures of choice firetiger Suick, black bucktail red or chartruce blade, or all black topwaters or jerkbaits. I would come off the water with a green stripe up my shirt from reel spray and dacron line. Zebra mussels have changed that and now there are 19 trailers in the park on any given weekend. Being retired I now only fish the lake through the week and have come to the conclusion that lure choice is less important than timing and location. If you have 400 lures in the boat dosen't that diminish the odds of having the right one one or cost you half your time changing lures and touching up hooks.
horsehunter
Posted 6/13/2015 11:53 AM (#772467 - in reply to #721840)

If you have 400 lures in the boat dosen't that diminish the odds of having the right one on or cost you half your time changing lures and touching up hooks

Is what I was trying to say but for some reason I couldn't edit the post.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)