Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Motor Guide Xi5 vs Terrova

Reply New post
Message Subject: Motor Guide Xi5 vs Terrova
kjgmh
Posted 2/21/2015 9:28 AM (#755264 - in reply to #717703)
Subject: Re: Motor Guide Xi5 vs Terrova

The sonar adapter works fine with a standard Humminbird (not DI or SI).

Response seems about the same, but turning speed is faster and takes a little getting used to.
Landry
Posted 2/21/2015 1:31 PM (#755305 - in reply to #717703)

I noticed a slight delay when using the pedal compared to my V2 but I liked the pedal design and it does turn fast. The Turing motoris totally silent and the lower u it was also silent.
I think it's performance is clearly superior - provided it is reliable - and there have been some issues. Do a search.
I am gonna let someone else test the first generation of these and if all is well, will buy next season.
HunterDM
Posted 2/21/2015 5:17 PM (#755334 - in reply to #717703)

Thanks to everyone for your added information/findings. All good stuff!
jonnysled
Posted 2/21/2015 5:19 PM (#755335 - in reply to #755334)

the only "problem" i've discovered in my research comes if you leave batteries in the pedal so key is just to make sure and remove them after use and then load them up when you go out again. love the true remote pedal, anchor on pedal and all the other things mentioned in this post. i really appreciate the reports from users and can't wait to get mine mounted this year!
smalljaw
Posted 2/24/2015 7:41 AM (#755831 - in reply to #755244)

I was told by a sales rep at a big box store that HB is updating the processor for the iPilot Link which will tighten up its radius on spot lock similar to MG. It's an interface thing with satellite communication. This will be on the Ulterras when they are available this year but not on the standard Terrova iLink until the following year. I asked if there would be a software update to address this on existing Terrovas and the answer was no, it's a processor improvement not software.

Spot lock is awesome and most days it works great, best single invention IMO in the past decade for the way I fish. If my next TM has a tighter hold, even better...

Edited by smalljaw 2/24/2015 7:43 AM
nokes
Posted 2/25/2015 9:21 AM (#755993 - in reply to #717703)

Love my Xi5, very precise in its heading adjustments. Also love the anchor feature much more accurate the Mk's. One thing to also consider over and above the wireless foot pedal and remote, is that when you add the gateway connection to your Lowrance unit you can control the motor right from your dash unit. I am adding one this spring, it will be awesome for trolling and jigging with the anchor feature. Also Motorguide is offering a free gateway with the purchase of an Xi5 with Pinpoint GPS and a Lowrance unit. Also a $50 rebate, that's like $300 off. I think Lowrance is offering some discounts too. Wish I would of had that deal when I bought mine!
Landry
Posted 2/25/2015 10:10 AM (#755998 - in reply to #717703)

I am hoping it outperforms the Terrova. Keep us posted on its performance
BNelson
Posted 2/25/2015 10:35 AM (#756005 - in reply to #755998)

being in the market for a new TM I might have to check out the Motorguide... do they hook up to Lowrance units easily/no hassles etc...I have an older Powerdrive now and was going to get the Terrova but this thread has me thinking I should look at the MG... anyone else run the new Xi5 ...likes/dislikes?
Captain
Posted 2/25/2015 11:15 AM (#756009 - in reply to #717703)

Connection to Lowrance is seamless. The xi5 comes prerigged with the Lowrance Sonar Adapter plug on it so literally all you do is plug it into your Lowrance unit. In fact, I actually used the quick release bracket from my Minn Kota on the Motorguide. Worked great!!
I bought my xi5 Pinpoint almost a year ago. It received a TON of use last year. One thing you will notice is how quiet it is and the amp draw on full load is 38 amps vs over 50 for the comparable terrova. That makes a big difference in how much juice it takes up in a day.
I am not sure I can say one bad thing about it. I sent motorguide a few suggestions for S/W or firmware updates. Basically when using cruise control mode, if there is a big gust of wind it seemed to have a couple second lag in responding. I was thinking they could tighten that up a bit. For 99% of the time it isn't a big deal and it just pushed me slightly off course, but that was the only thing I could nit pick. I would think they could clean that up a bit considering how responsive the anchor mode is. Otherwise this has been one of the wisest purchases I have made for my boat.

Edited by Captain 2/25/2015 11:17 AM
kjgmh
Posted 2/25/2015 11:18 AM (#756010 - in reply to #717703)

They hook up to HDS units via NEMA network. You need a gateway to hook the XI5 to the NEMA network. The gateway was not available unit we had ice on the lakes this past fall, so have not used on the water. I did get to use a prototype last summer a couple of times and worked pretty nice. When paired with a Touch screen Lowrance it is pretty nice setup.
NickD
Posted 2/25/2015 11:38 AM (#756013 - in reply to #717703)

How do you guys like the foot pedal? The quieter/faster turning and lower amp draw have my interest. Seeing one in person though with the raised cable drive style pedal was a major turn off. I use the bottom buttons on my terrova. I despise standing on any pedal while fishing. I use the remote when bass/eye/panfishing. Not a fan of using the remote for muskies. Using up one hand to run a remote while trying to work large baits or boat side action is not ideal.

I'm only concerned with reliabiltiy and ease of use. As long as the spot lock/anchor feature keeps me remotely close to where I start it I am happy. Don't use much other than autopilot with my ipilot.
Captain
Posted 2/25/2015 12:50 PM (#756033 - in reply to #756010)

kjgmh - 2/25/2015 11:18 AM

They hook up to HDS units via NEMA network. You need a gateway to hook the XI5 to the NEMA network.
This is true if you are using the pinpoint gateway to control the unit from your HDS. If you are just hooking up for sonar is the supplied cable that is connected to the xi5.
Captain
Posted 2/25/2015 12:56 PM (#756036 - in reply to #717703)

I have never used the pedal. Coming off using a MinnKota with Co-pilot I use the remote religiously.
What I do is set the motor in cruise control mode with heading lock on. Cruise control maintains the speed and heading lock the direction. I will make fine adjustments as we work a piece of structure, but its not a big deal. It comes with a long lanyard that I hang around my neck so it ends up being right about where my chest is. Easy to reach over and touch a button to fine tune the heading or whatever.
Just make sure you don't hit the anchor button! I joke about this now, but the first time I was making adjustments without looking at the remote I hit the anchor mode button. The first thing the motor does is goes 180 degrees the other direction. I almost went into the lake. Not prepared for that! LOL I was used to my copilot remote and that button was in a similar spot to the prop on button. Oops. Now its no big deal. After a few hours on the water you will have it figured out.
BNelson
Posted 2/25/2015 1:22 PM (#756040 - in reply to #756036)

so question for the guys that have the Xi5...I'm a "pulser" in that 80% of the time i like to pulse my trolling motor...looking at the pics of the xi5 footpedal it doesn't look like I could do that w that footpedal? I do not want to keep my foot on the footpedal and for casting I also do not want to use the remote to pulse with...
Captain
Posted 2/25/2015 1:50 PM (#756044 - in reply to #756040)

Not sure I know what you are trying to do, but are you saying you would turn it on for a short period of time and off and coast? Not sure how you do it today, but I would think once you set the speed on the foot pedal, you just hit the continuous button to engage it, then hit it again to turn it off and coast. Is that what you want? I haven't used the pedal at all so I am not the best to comment, but I don't think you have to be standing on it to use it. I know with cable steers you had to, but not with electronic steer.
BNelson
Posted 2/25/2015 1:55 PM (#756045 - in reply to #756044)

yes, if you are familiar w the minn kota powerdrive pedals there is a momentary button at the bottom, same with the terrova foot pedal....I just hit it and like you say, coast.. I prefer that over leaving it on continuous. to me the MG foot pedal does not allow me to do that...which i'd lean towards the terrova even tho I think both foot pedals are junk!
4amuskie
Posted 2/25/2015 2:02 PM (#756047 - in reply to #756045)

One tap on. One tap off. Coast. It also had spot lock button on pedal.
BNelson
Posted 2/25/2015 2:04 PM (#756048 - in reply to #756047)

right so i hit it 2 x when i can do it w the terrova w one... who thinks up these foot pedal designs? engineers..sheesh!
Captain
Posted 2/25/2015 3:20 PM (#756069 - in reply to #717703)

OK, on the footpedal there are two buttons (grey) on the bottom front of the unit. One is the power, the other I believe is the "continuous". There is a dial for speed and then a momentary button toward the top of the unit on the other end. You can set the speed, then operate the continuous button to move, then hit it again to coast as you call it. Or you could set the speed and use the momentary button on the top of the pedal.
I would think this is comparable to what you are wanting to do the main difference in the pedal vs the powerdrive pedal is that the motorguide pedal is a rocker style and the speed adjustment is a round dial vs a slider. The dial would be easier for you to hit with your foot to adjust speed I would think. Thinking back at what a pain my powerdrive pedal was and that slider, that thing never worked well.

Edited by Captain 2/25/2015 3:24 PM
BNelson
Posted 2/25/2015 3:23 PM (#756072 - in reply to #756069)

no, i'd like a left button, a right button and a "pulse" button, just like the bottom area of the terrova pedal and the powerdrive pedals.... to me looking at the MG pedal to turn it left and right i have to use the rocker ? seems dumb to me.
and i don't want to use the remote control when casting for sucker fishing remotes are great...
Captain
Posted 2/25/2015 3:26 PM (#756074 - in reply to #717703)

Oh, nope, it doesn't have that.
The motorguide pedal is more like a cable steer pedal than what minn kota decided to do with their electric steer models. Heel toe.
If you have a Harley you would love the MG pedal. LOL
I hate having the pedals on the floor. Just something else to trip over when fighting fish. I put mine in the dry storage and haven't touched it since.

Edited by Captain 2/25/2015 3:28 PM
4amuskie
Posted 2/25/2015 4:00 PM (#756080 - in reply to #756072)

BNelson - 2/25/2015 3:23 PM

no, i'd like a left button, a right button and a "pulse" button, just like the bottom area of the terrova pedal and the powerdrive pedals.... to me looking at the MG pedal to turn it left and right i have to use the rocker ? seems dumb to me.
and i don't want to use the remote control when casting for sucker fishing remotes are great...

You can turn the pedal sideways and tap front for right or back for left. Its the only option right now. They do have a floor control that is just like you describe but so far it doesnt work with the Xi5
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 2/25/2015 9:39 PM (#756156 - in reply to #756080)

Bnelson, they are right, there is a momentary on the new pedal I believe but not sure how convenient it is. The continuous button is very convenient but you would have to tap it twice. I currently run an older MG digital steer with the same sort of rocker pedal but it does not spring back to a center position like the new one does and obviously does not have all of the new features. I actually wish it would turn slower. I am also in the market for a new TM and am heavily weighing out the pros and cons. I myself usually run continuous depending on the spot I am working and sometimes use bursts but I do not like the small size of the momentary button on terrovas, so with that I usually hit constant on and off when I run my friends motors. One of the reasons for me making a switch in the first place is because my knees are bad the way it is and get really sore on a ten hour day of fishing. Usually I have to have a foot on my pedal because I do not have heading lock/autopilot. i want a terrova for the most simple feature of the left/right turn buttons which is the single most greatest features on those pedals meaning I can spend a lot more time standing on two feet. However, the features of spotlock and things like that I have noticed are much more spot-on on the new Xi5 from running my friends.....decisions decisions....
jonnysled
Posted 2/25/2015 10:03 PM (#756158 - in reply to #756156)

my current auto MG you can pulse with no problem and that's how i roll too. i think there is a similar button on the Xi5 if i remember correctly ... from seeing it.
BNelson
Posted 2/27/2015 10:46 AM (#756393 - in reply to #717703)

nope, Sled from pics and others I think the current xi5 pedal does not have a pulse/momentary button but i have heard from a couple that claim the next foot pedal for it will. I too, like standing on 2 feet and not having to have a foot on the foot pedal. I use left, right and pulse and very rarely run on continuous....
all the features of the MG sound intrigueing but for ease of use this foot pedal actually looks WORSE for my style of running the boat than the Terrova...the terrova at least at the bottom has a left, right, and pulse button....such odd way to design footpedals...

Edited by BNelson 2/27/2015 10:50 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(xi5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments xi5.jpg (14KB - 200 downloads)
tswoboda
Posted 2/27/2015 10:53 AM (#756395 - in reply to #756393)

If there's no momentary on/pulse feature, then what exactly does this button do?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(xi5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments xi5.jpg (24KB - 184 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 2/27/2015 11:01 AM (#756396 - in reply to #756395)

that is probably the continuous button that one would have to hit once for on, and once for off to pulse it...and um yah, not exactly in a good spot..
erico
Posted 2/27/2015 11:11 AM (#756401 - in reply to #717703)

I'm in the market for either the Terrova or the Xi5 also, good info.

Brad, looks like the circled switch is the momentary on/off according to page 21 of the owners manual, the constant on/off is the bottom right, the spot lock is bottom left.
http://www.motorguide.com/userfiles/file/Support/OwnersManuals/90-8...
BNelson
Posted 2/27/2015 11:19 AM (#756402 - in reply to #756401)

ok cool, still would be hard to hit w out turning the motor maybe? I can see it being clumsy esp in the fall w big boots on...wish they had it in the middle bottom sorta like the terrova w left and right on the sides of it.... hmmm I'll have to see it first hand and try it...
ahhh so the only way to turn the xi5 is w the foot pedal..there aren't any left and right buttons on it like the terrova... that is most likely a deal breaker for me...

Edited by BNelson 2/27/2015 11:21 AM
M Winther
Posted 2/27/2015 11:28 AM (#756404 - in reply to #756402)

ahhh so the only way to turn the xi5 is w the foot pedal..there aren't any left and right buttons on it like the terrova... that is most likely a deal breaker for me...

the Motorguide pedal seems to have been designed primarily with the bass market in mind. many bass fishermen are used to rocker-style pedals that are placed in recessed holders on the front deck of the boat in order to avoid "Capt'n Hook" leg. in that case, the momentary on-off is in a more sensible location.

the MinnKota pedal feels like an attempt to please both bass fishermen with the rocker and walleye fishermen with the buttons.

i'd like it better if they offered two different pedal versions, one rocker style and one that was purely tap-buttons. but i suppose the economics of that approach aren't good for the companies?
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)