Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing shows disclosing location

Message Subject: Fishing shows disclosing location
Smell_Esox
Posted 4/9/2014 2:22 PM (#705664 - in reply to #704425)
Subject: Re: Fishing shows disclosing location

I think any muskie guy who discloses where he is catching fish is just plain dumb. Why would you do that?
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/9/2014 2:40 PM (#705667 - in reply to #704425)

Why not? If i can help some catch a musky for the first time I'll do it. I don't care. If you think you are the only person who know about a spot there are hundreds of other guys that know that spot to. So i will give out spots tell people what I'm using i hope they get a big one . The more people hooked on the sport the better it will be just my two cents
Smell_Esox
Posted 4/9/2014 3:41 PM (#705677 - in reply to #704425)

They're already over-pressured in my opinion. Don't need more muskie fishermen until we get more muskie water. Have to agree to disagree on this one.
muskyhunter47
Posted 4/9/2014 3:45 PM (#705679 - in reply to #705677)

I agree it's tuff out there some days. But the more voices we have saying to stock more lakes the better it is.
musky slut
Posted 4/9/2014 3:57 PM (#705681 - in reply to #704425)

Part of the game , If you can figure it out , good for you . Fisherman , will be fisherman ......................
yoopertrout
Posted 4/9/2014 6:14 PM (#705700 - in reply to #704425)

If it's some giant, well known body of water, like Lake Erie or the Bighorn River, I guess it's not a big deal. Other than that, I'm with Robert Traver - I don't like kiss and tell fishermen. I see an awful lot of magazine articles that are well written enough to get published, except that they give away spots. And then there's the people who out their own spots on the world wide web for free. I don't get it.
Smell_Esox
Posted 4/15/2014 3:33 PM (#706958 - in reply to #705700)

yoopertrout - 4/9/2014 6:14 PM

If it's some giant, well known body of water, like Lake Erie or the Bighorn River, I guess it's not a big deal. Other than that, I'm with Robert Traver - I don't like kiss and tell fishermen. I see an awful lot of magazine articles that are well written enough to get published, except that they give away spots. And then there's the people who out their own spots on the world wide web for free. I don't get it.
Loved Robert Traver! Read his books when I was in high school/college when I was a fly-fishing nut. I remember the story about "fish-and-tell fishermen". Funny! Secrets are good.
sworrall
Posted 4/16/2014 4:08 PM (#707197 - in reply to #705677)

Smell_Esox - 4/9/2014 3:41 PM

They're already over-pressured in my opinion. Don't need more muskie fishermen until we get more muskie water. Have to agree to disagree on this one.

How about you volunteer to quit to take some of the pressure off?

Kidding, of course.

How long you been at this, and why do you feel any of us should have any sort of exclusive access? Serious question, I am curious.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/16/2014 7:47 PM (#707232 - in reply to #704425)

There are lakes I won't mention to anyone. It's not because I am afraid the great unwashed public will descend on them like a plague and fish them to oblivion. It's because I have enough respect for the privacy of those lakes and the person who showed them to me not to go around telling people about them. There are lakes out there that are what they are because they are far enough off the beaten path that very few folks fish them. I don't feel entitled to them. In fact I'd probably call the people who showed them to me and ask if they care if I fished them before I went there on my own...

Besides that? I had a lake once that nobody knew about. Fished it regularly, and the owners of the property just smiled and nodded at me after watching me carefully release all my fish. Made the mistake of taking a "friend" there one day. I specifically TOLD him "You don't say ANYTHING about this place to ANYONE. EVER." Next time I went to fish there the owner threatened to shoot me and started going on about my friends and fireworks and guns and garbage and beer cans all over...

Turns out said "friend" took a few carloads of guys out there and had one hell of a party that ended with lawn chairs in the lake, guns, fireworks, drunken stupidity, garbage and beer cans all over, and a giant fish fry.

Learned my lesson.

As a side note, if I ever see that old "friend" again, there's going to be violence.
Smell_Esox
Posted 4/17/2014 8:14 AM (#707301 - in reply to #707197)

sworrall - 4/16/2014 4:08 PM

Smell_Esox - 4/9/2014 3:41 PM

How about you volunteer to quit to take some of the pressure off?

Kidding, of course.

How long you been at this, and why do you feel any of us should have any sort of exclusive access? Serious question, I am curious.
I've been chasing muskies since the late 1980's, long before the MN muskie boom. Chased them from the UP of MI, to WI, Ontario and MN. I realized the importance of keeping my mouth shut the first time I fished on Vermillion. I couldn't believe how much fishing pressure there was, day and night for crying out loud. I've seen lakes where the fish are skinny and beat to heck from being caught so much. Never again will I tell anyone about a hot bite. Everyone's looking for a shortcut nowadays. Internet (I'm guilty), phones, etc. all make it easy to find the hot bite. As far as I'm concerned, people should learn to find them on their own. General info is fine, but specifics about lakes, especially smaller lakes, I'm not going to divulge. That's muskie fishing isn't it? Going out and figuring them out? Not calling someone and hearing what lake, what weedline (point, bar, etc.), what time, what lure, what method. That puts the catch above the muskie fishing process. That's my opinion. I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. Don't matter probably though, because the next generation of muskie fishers are from the communication (social media) age where we share everything. It's not going to help our resources IMO. Take care and God Bless!
Herb_b
Posted 4/17/2014 5:34 PM (#707425 - in reply to #704425)

Those shows aren't really very realistic. They show so much catching and so little fishing. Its like they can catch multiple fish in a half hour on a regular basis. But then if they were realistic, about half the time we would watch them for eight straight hours and then see them go home skunked. That might be just a touch boring? You think?

What confuses me is when they catch a fish with one lure and then a totally different lure, (the one that they are advertising), suddenly shows up in the fish's mouth when its in the net. The new lure is always just hanging on the fish's jaw and never seems to be embedded. It just miraculously appears out of nowhere. I find that simply amazing! Maybe a little magic?
BDizzle
Posted 4/17/2014 6:44 PM (#707435 - in reply to #704425)
Subject: RE: Fishing shows disclosing location

I will share my spots (musky, walleye, perch or anything else) with people I trust. With that said, I feel people out quite a bit about fishing habits before I take them fishing anywhere that I may consider special. I keep no musky, some wally and some panfish, mainly what I can eat myself as the ladies in the house do not eat fish. I want my fisheries to be sustainable for years.

I think that there is a big difference between a TV show saying we are fishing LOTW or some gigantic lake in Ontario versus giving away a small lake and particular points on lakes. I know that some spots can be figured out just by the video you see (in fact Keyes did a show on a 200 acre lake near me and I am trying to memorize the video to determine the lake he was on should I happen to fish it).

Personally, I would rather be out fishing and not watching TV shows but with the winter we have had I am going stir crazy and youtube musky videos have kept me sane. Lots of people use the internet to "troll" for fishing spots, I just hope that no one else gets turned on to Little Duffy Lake.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/17/2014 7:06 PM (#707438 - in reply to #707435)
Subject: RE: Fishing shows disclosing location

BDizzle - 4/17/2014 5:44 PM

I feel people out quite a bit

Taking boat partner to the next level, eh?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)