Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Sometimes, the best thing you can do with a computer is turn it off and go fishing" Bill Husted
- (Added by: mikie)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> walleye color for this weekend tournament-

Message Subject: walleye color for this weekend tournament-
zach2626
Posted 9/28/2010 8:30 PM (#461280)
Subject: walleye color for this weekend tournament-

i do a little bait making and i first time poster. i have read everyones post one here for a while and some of you guys are top notch! i have a tournament this weekend and did a few for myself and i am mostly a troller. its a gold foiled niagara river walleye that has been hot for the last month or so- anyways just thought i would throw one up here. its made of cedar and is all handmade, not some "repaint with tons of overspray". i do lots of foils and have caught 2 50"s this year. i paint in lots of pearls and am a huge fan of fatfingers, rjbass, tigger, bowhunter, etc.
MuskyFix
Posted 9/28/2010 9:43 PM (#461300 - in reply to #461280)
Subject: RE: walleye color for this weekend tournament-

What's wrong with repaints, That's Y.O.
There are plenty of good products out there that are mass produced and will catch more fish then hand made That's M.O.

Edited by MuskyFix 9/28/2010 9:46 PM
Stan Durst 1
Posted 9/29/2010 7:00 AM (#461329 - in reply to #461300)

Neither my repaints nor my new ones have "tons of over spray" on them and they have caught many, many fish, as my repeat clients can attest to that fact. And many of them range into the 50's also. There are a lot of custom painters on this board and they all do a great job with their work. Yes, They too have had their products catch many fish and into the larger sizes. While I am happy that you where able to do your own,even though there is no picture to see, knocking another's work is not the way to go. Take a better look at the pictures posted through out this thread and you will see a lot of very high quality work that has been done by these people. They deserve much credit for their work and end product, not a "knockdown" If you are a fan of some of the painters than you know there is not a ton of overspray.
That is M.O. and meanwhile, best of luck to you in your endeavors., and good luck with the tourny.

Edited by Stan Durst 1 9/29/2010 7:07 AM
zach2626
Posted 9/29/2010 7:04 AM (#461330 - in reply to #461280)

stan you are the man- you are cpt larry's friend and i love your "artwork" i don't know anyone else doing the colors you are.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 9/29/2010 7:17 AM (#461333 - in reply to #461330)

Zach, Thank you for your kind reply. I do not consider myself "The Man".Every one out there is doing great work, whether they are just starting or have been at it a while. I expect that you will too and would very much like to take a "look see" at your work. I started doing custom work way back when I painted commercially for a few Tackle companies. Capt. Larry tested my original first custom pattern and did very well with it as did his clients. In fact, Capt. Larry named the pattern and it is still on my list of colors. We have been friends for several years now. He boats a lot of nice fish and he is a die hard at musky fishing, not to refute other pros and guides as they do too.
Again, best of luck with your tourny.

Edited by Stan Durst 1 9/29/2010 7:18 AM
zach2626
Posted 9/29/2010 7:35 AM (#461340 - in reply to #461333)

tired to resize it many times and made it too short width ways and is tiny. this is a 9" deep diver and i made many styles, shapes, colors and stuff. this one of a bunch i did for this weekends deeper trolling (25ft +)

Edited by zach2626 9/29/2010 8:05 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(cropped walleye 2.jpg)

(cropped walleye 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments cropped walleye 2.jpg (39KB - 144 downloads)
Attachments cropped walleye 2.jpg (39KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments (0KB - 127 downloads)
Stan Durst 1
Posted 9/29/2010 8:09 AM (#461348 - in reply to #461340)

On your computer, click on start,program,accessories, paint,file,open,pick picture you want to size down,click on open, image,stretch/skew, and type in 30 on both blocks in upper section click ok.
It will downsize your picture for you if you want it smaller click stretch/skew and 30 and 30 again. when you get the size you want. click on Save. your done, post it.
hope this helps.

That is a great looking paint job. Should be a hit with the musky.

Edited by Stan Durst 1 9/29/2010 8:11 AM
zach2626
Posted 9/29/2010 8:15 AM (#461349 - in reply to #461340)

stan i have used (borrowed/ stole) your sweeping back bars on my firetigers for some time. fatfingers got me into pearls/foiling and i owe all my skills to everyone sharing their info. if it wasn't a pain to resize every pic i have i would post more. i have been messing around w/ the color changing pearls over black for a while and i got that from looking at your stuff stan. i usually have 6-7 colors on each lure i do but have had more than that. i have spent good times whitewater kayaking in your neck of the woods also. i have run lots of class 5 rivers in your area and find it really nice down there. anyways to all the people i p*ssed off w/ my "overspray comment" sorry. bty i fish every plug i make and plan on beating them off rocks, beating up that 1/4" lexan lip and hopefully get some real nice scraches in it. i go back and forth between etex 74 and nu-luster 55 for finish coats. i used to use tons of devcon but now like other products after talking to rodney jones (rjbass who is awesome bty).

Edited by zach2626 9/29/2010 8:19 AM
Kenslures
Posted 9/29/2010 8:21 AM (#461350 - in reply to #461280)
Subject: Re: walleye color for this weekend tournament-

Zach, I agree with the above other posters. Theres nothing wrong with repaints and everyone has to start somewhere. They learn as they progress. There are alot of talented bait makers on this site and other sites. I always welcomed complements but I always said all comments are welcome, good or bad as this is the only way I can improve my baits. Pointing out what others think can improve a bait is one thing but don't degrade anyone in the process. A couple of years ago I was at a fall festival. A guy comes up and is looking at my baits. Do you really make these?? I said yes I do. No way. Yes I do. He said I'm not even a fisherman but I think they are beautiful. I said thank you. He then looked at the price tag and looked right at me. $30.00 for a lure, are you crazy?? Man if you are going to rob the public the least you could do is to wear a mask. Now that really hurt as it took 3 hours to make that particular bait. People put alot of time and talent into their work and don't want to hear comments that are negative. I'm sure there are alot of other bait makers that will agree with me. It takes alot of time & talent whether its a repaint or a new creation. Thank you Ken
zach2626
Posted 9/29/2010 8:43 AM (#461352 - in reply to #461350)

alright i was "wrong" by saying that. i am not politically correct- have never took a inter- personal relations class in college (and it shows) or type w/ capital letters unless its important. i swear, smoke and stay up late. i guess i should of not posted anything and kept to myself like i have been for years. i think about fishing/lures and not much else. bty i did 6 muskies in the first tourney and lost 2 more, so i am not so full of sh*t. i have registered muskies in all tourneys i have fished except for one and there were only 3 muskies registered out of 100 fisherman. so do i think i am the best? no, not by far. this will be the last post for me on a lure i make and will just keep them to myself and a few friends who think $30 is how much a decent lure costs and aren't afraid to spend more on quality. how many broken jakes does it take until you just get a decent lure that doesn't break, fill w/ water or only holds up to a few fish. you do this for a while then just get good stuff. take care guys and i enjoy most lures i see up here and think the snake skins lures are some of the neatest lures i have ever seen. those were cool! so go ahead and beat me up all you want over that comment i guess i somewhat deserve it. i will read your comments but not post on them so come on guys-
Kenslures
Posted 9/29/2010 12:05 PM (#461394 - in reply to #461280)

Hey Zach, I just voiced my opinion. That doesn't mean we can't all learn from this. I have had people give their opinion to me but hopefully it has helped me in the long run. I think your lures look great and I would like to see you post more. If you take the time to think about this I'm sure you will realize I'm not bashing you by no means. If I offended you, that was not my intention. Thanks and have a great day. I hope to see you post again real soon. Ken
plastibaits
Posted 9/29/2010 1:24 PM (#461410 - in reply to #461280)

Nice looking bait, Kinda reminds me of a BM shad. That foil color will do well.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 9/29/2010 1:40 PM (#461414 - in reply to #461394)

Hey Zach,
I too would like to see more of your work, Sometimes a post can be taken in the wrong text and since yours didn't mean any harm then we probably took this one out of text. I am not P*ssed off nor am I upset. I was trying to enlighten you a bit and I thought I was being courteous as I did it. In any case, let me remind you that you are doing very good work and by all means, keep posting and showing them to us. That's what this thread is all about. I would also go to say that you only "borrowed" the idea of sweeping bars. and I don't mind at all. Next time you come this way try fishing Melton Hill Dam. We were able to get TWRA to put a 50 inch limit on the lake this past March. So Very soon TN. will be enjoying some nice trophy sized musky. A few in the 50's have already been CPR'd.
We can fish year round down here.
You are doing great so keep up the good work and show them on here.
Let us know how you do in the tourny.
Muddy41
Posted 9/29/2010 3:25 PM (#461431 - in reply to #461414)

Zach don't take things in the wrong ways. We all would love to see you creations. I for one can revisit this part of the forum over and over and never get bored with seeing the wok of art that all of the lue makers and the repainters do. You guys have some talentss that I will never have in my life time.

So do not take what everyone has said as a total negative. Just like you said in your posting you probably used the wrong wordage when you said what you said and that is no big deal!!! We are all adults for the most part I hope there are alot of kids on this site as well but I have not personally seen any. SO with that said continue showing off your creations and if you are selling any of them please post that as well I know I bought a few hand made lures off this site and will continue to buy more as time goes on.

SO postem up and lets us all drool over you creations!!!!!!!

Good luck in your touney and post up some pics for all of us to see!!!

Have a great week
Mike

So show us your creations as I know EVERYONE on this site would appreciate seeing what you make.
MuskyFix
Posted 9/29/2010 6:59 PM (#461460 - in reply to #461431)

Zach Nice foil work, Walleye ???

Here is one of my foils - a repaint with overspray LOL...

Nice work, one thing a found is show the muskies something different than stock colors and you will catch fish.

Good luck in your tourney.

Edited by MuskyFix 9/29/2010 7:02 PM

(0929001827.jpg)

(0929001828.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0929001827.jpg (47KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments 0929001828.jpg (42KB - 131 downloads)
Muddy41
Posted 9/29/2010 8:03 PM (#461467 - in reply to #461460)

Muskiefix that is a sweet lure!!! It is awesome to be able to see what you guys can do with some paint and time and your talents!!!

Awesome!!!
woodieb8
Posted 9/30/2010 5:22 AM (#461499 - in reply to #461280)

all makers and painters have their styles. after 25 years of painting its easy to say. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. musky will let you know.. we have painted some ugly colors that get smashed. the fishermen would never buy it . its just not pretty enuff.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 9/30/2010 8:22 AM (#461508 - in reply to #461499)

http://api.ning.com/files/Tn1vEVScwh8cJFl2R-lgtoqRHVnVxcvYezh7TXxok...
If this works, This is a picture/or link to a Crane bait I painted that I call 'Brown Runt" it isn't pretty by all means but look what the musky did to it. Gotta Love it. The link works, when you get the picture, click on it and it zoom in and you can see all the teeth marks and holes the critters left in it.

Edited by Stan Durst 1 9/30/2010 8:28 AM
PamuskEhunt
Posted 9/30/2010 12:18 PM (#461535 - in reply to #461508)

People tend to forget that looking at the colors of a lure in a picture and the way the fish sees it moving underwater are 2 totally different ideas. We are trying to make lures that the fish like, aren't we??
bowhunter29
Posted 9/30/2010 1:37 PM (#461542 - in reply to #461280)

Looks like a bear grabbed ahold of that one!

jeremy
Stan Durst 1
Posted 9/30/2010 8:03 PM (#461597 - in reply to #461542)

A small musky hit it and scratched it a bit. The rest was all done by one musky and he grabbed it hard.
And just for the sake of knowledge, it was Pa. river musky that did that.
MuskyFix
Posted 9/30/2010 11:38 PM (#461618 - in reply to #461597)

Love teeth marks, I have a few baits I call scars.
zach2626
Posted 10/4/2010 6:51 AM (#462002 - in reply to #461618)

pamuskyhunt- the fish liked my colors! we went 4 for 5 and did the most #'s again for the 3rd straight tourney. no winners but more hits than anyone else fishing the same water as them. they wanted my baits, plain and simple.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 10/4/2010 7:03 AM (#462003 - in reply to #462002)

Hey Zach,
Congrats on the tourny. I'm happy with just catching them far better than getting skunked.I put a link up to look at an ugly color I call brown runt. Look it over an if you want go ahead and try a pattern like that. The 2nd musky that hit it is the one that did most of the damage. Was it you Walleye color that brought them in for you?
Would you be willing to sell me a bait that you have painted? I would like to try it out myself.
Thanks,
Stan
zach2626
Posted 10/4/2010 7:10 AM (#462004 - in reply to #462003)

bty- with 4 coats of clear on the lure not one chip or real tooth mark in them. i make these to last more than one fish. thanks stan- i gave cpt larry some of my lures to try out also. he had nice things to say about you mr durst!

(musky.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments musky.jpg (45KB - 136 downloads)
zach2626
Posted 10/4/2010 7:26 AM (#462005 - in reply to #462004)

actually the ones that got hit were green foiled orange belly perch's.
zach2626
Posted 10/4/2010 7:37 AM (#462006 - in reply to #462005)

this is the green foiled perch

(resize.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments resize.jpg (66KB - 129 downloads)
Stan Durst 1
Posted 10/4/2010 8:40 AM (#462013 - in reply to #462006)

Hey Zach,
Now that is a very nice fish, Please don't call me mr. durst, just call me Stan. Capt. Larry will give them a good work out for you. He puts a lot of big girls in the boat. If possible I would like one of the green foiled you spoke of. Green is a very good color when applied right and you must have the right combination so don't loose it.
Again, very nice looking musky.
Stan
zach2626
Posted 10/4/2010 9:08 AM (#462017 - in reply to #462013)

actually i gave cpt larry jones the green foiled one i got most of the fish on, in addition to that walleye deep diver- i almost lost that walleye one snagged in 38' fow. i got it back but was worried about it for a minute. you won't hear cpt larry brag that he has done over 60 50"muskies. i have learned so much from larry on fishing. he is the best i know. if larry likes them- i'm set. anyways i have yet to get skunked on the smaller shad type lures i make all year, and thats no B.S. we ran big baits almost all day and did nothing and went shallower and put on smaller stuff and did 4 in 2 hours and lost another all one that green foil. they showed a real color preference. anyways i make and sell baits locally and get rid of most of them at the "happy hooker" on chautauqua and sell even more to guys i fish tourneys with. ohio guys absolutely love them. stan-
in my next batch i "cook" up you'll have one or two come your way.
Stan Durst 1
Posted 10/4/2010 9:21 AM (#462021 - in reply to #462017)

You are right in that Capt. Larry doesn't brag about all the 50's he has boated. He isn't one to brag and I like that. He is an ordinary guy with an awful lot of expertise in musky fishing. Larry knows what he is doing and if one would "listen" to his seminars they would learn tons of very good info.
I can't speak enough of that man. He knows his business for sure.
Thanks Zach, We need to meet up one day. Would love to fish with you. You ought to try it down here sometime we have a lake with a 50 inch limit on it here.
Thanks,
Stan
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)