Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fishing Apps for Droid phone?

Message Subject: Fishing Apps for Droid phone?
lambeau
Posted 1/1/2010 1:23 PM (#415022)
Subject: Fishing Apps for Droid phone?

has anyone used any of the fishing apps for the Droid or other Android OS phones?
any reviews and recommendations would be helpful.

Logs:
- Creel Card
- Fishin' Buddy

Solunar Info:
- SunMoon
- Fish&Moon
- AstroClock

any others?
sworrall
Posted 1/1/2010 1:27 PM (#415025 - in reply to #415022)
Subject: Re: Fishing Apps for Droid phone?

How do you like that phone, Mike? I was looking at an I Phone, and wondered how the Droid stacks up.
lambeau
Posted 1/1/2010 1:39 PM (#415027 - in reply to #415022)
Subject: RE: Fishing Apps for Droid phone?

my father-in-law and a co-worker both have iPhones that i checked out.
after doing that and a fair amount of online research, i got the Droid instead.
i was on AT&T up until now, so this also meant changing to Verizon.

functionally they're similar: a handheld touchscreen computer that does a million cool things and can go on the internet.

side-by-side:
- the Droid is faster on the internet.
- Verizon has significantly more 3G coverage. (the "map" ads are right)
- Droid coordinates with your Google account: auto loads contacts, email, etc.
- Droid includes free GoogleMap-based GPS with turn-by-turn directions
- the voice activated commands (call..., navigate to..., etc.) works flawlessly.
- the UPC scanning feature that's integrated with Google to compare prices, find locations, link to product websites etc. is beyond cool...just plain handy!
- Verizon is more expensive than AT&T, but not much (it's better = you pay more)
- i have less dropped calls with Verizon than i did with AT&T (rural WI and MN)
- iPhone has more available apps, it's the fastest selling tech gadget in '09
- iPhone requires the intallation of iTunes on your computer to download anything

on balance, i'm exceptionally pleased with the Droid.

Edited by lambeau 1/1/2010 1:40 PM
bassinbob84
Posted 1/1/2010 1:50 PM (#415030 - in reply to #415022)

I have the iPhone and really like it but the service sucks. I looked into the blackberry storm with verizon but didn't like the phone. I might have to look into the stood a little more when my contract is up.

Edited by bassinbob84 1/1/2010 1:51 PM
MikeHulbert
Posted 1/1/2010 1:53 PM (#415031 - in reply to #415022)

I just picked up a Droid phone and have my service with Sprint. Love the phone, it's the Moment. Works flawlessly, internet speeed is pretty dang quick, and all the apps are pretty dang cool and come in handy more times then I thought they would. Also with Sprint, the plans right now for unlimited data, talking and texting is only $70 a month. Love my new Droid phone...
ttrap
Posted 1/1/2010 2:43 PM (#415037 - in reply to #415022)

I have the droid with verizon and love it. I got the sun/moon app and it works pretty good.hopefully it is close to right because I used it to pick my vacation days this year
slimm
Posted 1/3/2010 10:22 AM (#415294 - in reply to #415022)

Nexus One. Big Android fan here. Sold my iphone and MyTouch waiting for the Nexus One, hopefully on Tuesday.
gus_webb
Posted 1/4/2010 4:20 PM (#415517 - in reply to #415022)

Oooo! Just looked at the Fishin' Buddy app, and I think that one is going to end up on my phone. Unfortunately, an incredibly well-placed shot sent my brand new Android-based HTC Hero down an ice hole (fargin' ice holes!) and I haven't gotten my replacement yet. But holy cow, is that thing awesome!

From experience, though... If you decide to download the 'I Heart Radio' app and listen to KFAN while in the ice shack, make sure you have your phone in a more secure location than the cup holder pocket of your folding chair. When packing up to go home, one can forget that you're actually listening to your phone, and the folded-up chair can be knocked over, sending your beloved tech gadget to an untimely, watery grave.
Just sayin'.
lambeau
Posted 2/20/2010 8:01 PM (#424869 - in reply to #415022)

i was shopping for some boat-related stuff at Cabela's today over in Richfield. i used the "Shop Savvy" app to scan the barcodes of each item on the shelf to get comparable prices both online and at other local stores.

since Cabela's has a policy where they'll match competitors prices if it's within a certain distance, i saved $10 on one item and $15 on another - they showed up cheaper at Sports Authority and Dick's within 20 miles of Cabela's. i just showed the guy my Droid at checkout and he adjusted the prices with no trouble.

pretty darn good for a free app...
MikeHulbert
Posted 2/21/2010 8:51 AM (#424916 - in reply to #415022)

The bar code scanner is a pretty cool app for sure. I also like the "Radar Now" app, very detailed radar for watching incoming storms!
Junkman
Posted 2/21/2010 10:37 AM (#424944 - in reply to #424916)

I am about two months into having the Droid and still have some discomfort with some of the stuff you have to navigate around. I would have to say that I love it though. For me, it is the almost flawless way it picks up verbal commands that sold me. I am also thinking that sooner or later, the map chip guys will provide apps that bring you all the features that Lowrance or Bird puts into GPS units. I really can't wait to see what the Google Maps look like out on the water. Here's my warning however.....if you like to use vibrate like me so you are not a "Dick" in a public place, beware that any little bump of the volume contron when in the non-locked position will transition vibrate into a sound level that even a dog can not hear. It's the biggest negative for me so far. Marty Forman
bridgeman
Posted 2/21/2010 8:26 PM (#425032 - in reply to #415022)

If you get a lot of voicemails like myself, Download the app. Visual VM (Visual Voicemail ) You will love it, saves tons of time versus going through the whole saved voicemail process, and no more of the please enter your password bs.
PeonPETA
Posted 2/21/2010 8:45 PM (#425039 - in reply to #415022)

Visual VM is nice, but if you can get an invite to Google Voice it replaces all of the voicemail apps. Voicemails arrive in your email so you can read them and check them without ever touching your phone. You also get a 2nd free number so you can avoid giving out a personal cell number. If you can get into Google Voice it is incredible, also check out Handcent SMS to replace Verizons texting app.
MuskyMidget
Posted 2/22/2010 1:11 PM (#425152 - in reply to #415022)

I think I might be the only person to switch from a Blackberry to a Droid and back to the Blackberry. I tried the Droid from Verizon for 3 weeks and had to go back to my Blackberry. The Droid is an amazing phone and is a far better value than a Blackberry. But I couldn't get used to the touchscreen typing and didn't like the slider keyboard. What really bothered me more than anything is that for the most part, I needed two hands to operate the phone. When you use a phone as much as I do for work, to me, to be able to one hand navigate everything like I can do with a Blackberry is priceless.

Again, to summarize, the Droid is a much better phone that the BB Tour, but functionally, for me and my business, a Blackberry is a no brainer as I do not play with most of the "fancy" apps that you can use on an iphone or Droid.

The Midge
Posted 2/22/2010 1:18 PM (#425155 - in reply to #415022)

Ball Cap,

Also you have hands the size of a 4 year old, most grown men have "man hands" and can't type or push buttons on a black berry. Seems like you need a Snoopy pole for your cowgirls and a Barbie phone for your fingers!
MuskyMidget
Posted 2/22/2010 5:18 PM (#425197 - in reply to #415022)

Thanks for the laugh Guest
muskiewhored
Posted 2/26/2010 1:36 PM (#425977 - in reply to #415022)

The "Droid' is made my motorola, currently does not get service from Sprint/Nextel. "Smart Phones" are everywhere, every service, and are very good phones with only 1 drawback.... Each "Smart phone" typically needs a data package just to work, which is a add-on at ATT and Verizon. Its like the Blackberry...although you have to buy a talk package, its required to also have :blackberry service. noneless all these new phone are new age. Att yes does in fact have less service area, expecially heading up North. Verizon however the service is unbeatable, I had service anywhere on LOTW this past year, my sprint work phone went out before i was even in Canada. To run the phone with unlimited everything will run $119. $20 more than sprint, sprint also has a very weak network(area) so I have switched to verizon, also because I get free motorola phones (DROID). lol. FYI if you are a sprint guy they are coming out with a phone with a 4.3inch screen, very big compared to any phone out now. Also make sure you all get the software upgrade if you havent already, 2.1 is already out....
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 2/28/2010 10:54 AM (#426215 - in reply to #415022)

Is this ap under entertainment? I just got an Eris and love it so far.
muskiewhored
Posted 3/1/2010 4:18 PM (#426436 - in reply to #415022)

Gander..

You may find some of them under "weather apps", I dont have the Eris but I will find out for you. I seen a few different ones, although I dont like most of the apps just because they are per month fee's, not a 1 timer.
happy hooker
Posted 3/1/2010 4:56 PM (#426442 - in reply to #426436)

I was at a Beer,Brats,& Baits deal this weekend with a local baitmaker and aproven stick in other words someone who is good!!!,,I got to see the apps for the Iphone or whatever it is
this is terrible!!!
wind direction memory,barometrer memory moon, solunar,call it all up by past history for a pattern
"lake maps" incredible detail one little slide screen at a time with gps on the spot marks
god knows what else Im forgetting or couldnt grasp
Im starting to rebel against technology some of this stuff just dosent seem like fair play "still gotta make em bite" yeah true but you sure have more time to focus on that with all the headstarts this stuff provides
For you guys who have to have the cutting edge I have to say its amazing what info you can carry around in your pocket when fishing ANYWHERE
you can get alot of this info out of your sonnar already??? yeah but you can study your stored info anywhere,,like at work on comapany time!!! have your pattern/game plan ready by the time friday quiting bell sounds

THERES DEFINITLY A SEMINAR in the making for this application for anyone who wants to get a new angle on a speaking gig,,once people actually see what is capable their gonna want in and hit the ground running.

Edited by happy hooker 3/1/2010 5:03 PM
Jomusky
Posted 3/2/2010 4:35 PM (#426611 - in reply to #415022)

Good post.
But I really didn't need to know how great it all is.....my contract w/ verizon on my razr is up....looks like my phone bill is going way up now...crap
Don
Posted 5/11/2010 10:05 PM (#440377 - in reply to #425152)

Hi,
Just to comment on a few postings that I have read regarding the virtual keyboard on the droid incredible. I just got the Incredible last Friday, and I love this phone. I had the LG dare previously, so I was used to the virtual keyboard. There is an option the droid when you open a text to reply, or an email to reply where you just press the microphone button, and speak your reply. It converts it to text on the screen, and you just press , no typing needed, so that is a real time saver, and only requires one hand operation. Just wanted to put that out there. Have a good one, I am off to find more apps for my phone.

Thanks,
Don
gtp888
Posted 5/12/2010 6:33 AM (#440402 - in reply to #415027)

lambeau - 1/1/2010 1:39 PM my father-in-law and a co-worker both have iPhones that i checked out. after doing that and a fair amount of online research, i got the Droid instead. i was on AT&T up until now, so this also meant changing to Verizon. functionally they're similar: a handheld touchscreen computer that does a million cool things and can go on the internet. side-by-side: - the Droid is faster on the internet. - Verizon has significantly more 3G coverage. (the "map" ads are right) - Droid coordinates with your Google account: auto loads contacts, email, etc. - Droid includes free GoogleMap-based GPS with turn-by-turn directions - the voice activated commands (call..., navigate to..., etc.) works flawlessly. - the UPC scanning feature that's integrated with Google to compare prices, find locations, link to product websites etc. is beyond cool...just plain handy! - Verizon is more expensive than AT&T, but not much (it's better = you pay more) - i have less dropped calls with Verizon than i did with AT&T (rural WI and MN) - iPhone has more available apps, it's the fastest selling tech gadget in '09 - iPhone requires the intallation of iTunes on your computer to download anything on balance, i'm exceptionally pleased with the Droid.

Good post, Mike.  I have been in to Verizon twice recently and will be switching to this phone and Verizon service when my Sprint contract is up, possibly even before.  Really looking forward to getting better coverage area with Verizon and a smartphone that does so many things!  I'll have to say I've been very happy with Sprint, but for a lot of the areas I frequent, I'm off the Sprint network when I'm there.   

Oneida Esox
Posted 5/12/2010 9:51 AM (#440426 - in reply to #440402)

I've got the Blackberry tour and love the thing. It's amazing to me what these phones can do! Weather, GPS, email, internet and on and on. I didn't choose this phone, corporate did and they made a good choice.

I'm not much of a tech head so I don't use many of the fancy apps, but none the less smart phones are amazing.
Hammskie
Posted 5/12/2010 10:13 AM (#440431 - in reply to #440426)

Have heard good things about the Droid. Pros and cons for each, though... like Chevy vs. Ford.

As far as apps go... the iPhone has a Navionics app for $10 with free yearly updates. Sold.
jonnysled
Posted 5/12/2010 12:11 PM (#440447 - in reply to #415022)

apps are apps ... difference is the service and that depends on where you live. here in n. wisco droid/verizon trumps the others. to the guy who went back to bbry ... i hear ya! ... i gave the droid a couple weeks, hated the slider keyboard ... went to the soft-touch and now do almost all by voice. the coverage and speed of the 3G gives me even more freedom from my pc so the pro's of the droid have outweighed the cons.

2 hand ... not such a bad thing. not saying you're doing it, but driving we all need to put them down and out of reach.

the droid with voice-activated keyboard is more effective than one-hand scrolling/texting anyway and it's something that at least for the im feature is fairly new and really nice!!

to me droid blows bbry away and makes it seem like a generation removed .... now, what's coming next??!!!

Edited by jonnysled 5/12/2010 12:14 PM
muskiewhored
Posted 5/12/2010 2:38 PM (#440487 - in reply to #415022)

Most phone or at least ALL smart phones have a water tag inside them, water touches that - no warrantee! keep them dry!
JRedig
Posted 5/12/2010 9:11 PM (#440602 - in reply to #415022)

I'm a huge tech nerd, I got the HTC Incredible the day it came out. It is awesome, you guys have listed most of the best apps to get for what we do. The voice over text feature is absolutely the best feature, but all the stuff lambeau listed are the things that make it worth owning. Now if the battery didn't suck so bad. That and it needs a car adapter/windshield mount like they have for the nexus one, i'd rather have that phone since it's a google product but it likely won't come to verizon since they have the incredible.

I came from a blackberry and would never consider going back, i hated that phone.
cbuf
Posted 5/13/2010 6:28 PM (#440814 - in reply to #415022)

I have been thinking about developing a fishing app. What would you pay for a extremely cool fishing app that has moon phase, tide phase, (i like a fishing watch) Geo tagging picture taking that would log picture, moon phase, tides, time, and allow you to enter size, weight and other conditions? Then this could be overlaid on top of google maps?

I have put together the development cost but we as musky fishing are few and far between and in order to make money it might be pricey.

So what are will willing to pay for it? and what additional information would you like to see in the app.

Thanks

Chris
setme31
Posted 5/14/2010 8:26 AM (#440888 - in reply to #415022)

cbuf, I think you are looking at the small picture. An app like that has nothing specific to Muskie fishing. Every type of fisherman/hunter could use an app like that. If you can get the cost under $10, then it would be a winner. In this age of free apps, people aren't willing to spend much.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)