Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Proposed stocking of Lake Geneva with muskies

Message Subject: Proposed stocking of Lake Geneva with muskies
C.Painter
Posted 10/13/2008 1:37 PM (#340551 - in reply to #340549)
Subject: Re: Proposed stocking of Lake Geneva with muskies

I am not against stocking Geneva. I am just being more realistic is all. With limited fish to stock from WI hatcheries, a new lake, epsecially of that size, will most likely NOT get done with WI fish. To privately fund an initial stocking that would be required for that lake at 15$ a fish.....well I guess if ANYWHERE could afford to do that it would be Geneva...but then again you need to convice them the muskie won't eat jonny off the dock or all of their other game fish.

Might stand a better chance with a couple of the smaller lakes. (less numbers required)

Cory
slaydawg
Posted 10/13/2008 5:25 PM (#340575 - in reply to #340208)
Subject: RE: Proposed stocking of Lake Geneva with muskies

Stock Lauderdale! Green:311 acres 55' max, Middle:259 acres 42 ft' max,
Mill:271 acres 44' max. There's enough small bass to be a forage base. Big pike lake.
ILmuskie
Posted 10/14/2008 7:00 AM (#340629 - in reply to #340208)

Big Green Lake and Koshkonong got some muskies every or every other year and we don't hear much about it. Only a few reported is that they are few but above average size muskies! It might be samething to Lake Geneva! Need big boat for Lake Geneva and most of us don't have it! My opinion is that several smaller lakes is better! Between 300 and 1000 acres seem reasonable size!
In 1980's nice 285 acres Cedar Lake near Fox Lake in northern Illinois have some muskies. I rented a boat several times there and got some muskies up to 38 inch! Not anymore because of lack of public.......that's sad!
ToddM
Posted 10/14/2008 7:27 AM (#340632 - in reply to #340208)

Ilmuskie, the lakes you propose do not have adequate access. They could be decent lakes that would probably mirror silver for average size and numbers but not big fish potential like geneva would. I would not be opposed to finding other waters in SE Wi, they need it desparately, but you will run into the same arguements as lake geneva. This geneva proposal is getting creamed on lake-link by the non-musky crowd.

If wisconsin starts in madison, that means firstsixfeet is a flatlander, I knew it! Was Chilton every really in wisconsin? There is a sorta pregnant.

More muskies could be available to stock in wisconsin. Illinois has always met their quota or close to it when they don't have enough fish by trading pike for muskies with iowa. Iowa has no issues raising muskies but pike are an issue for them. It appears that Illinois has figured out their diet woes, so iowa should now have surplus fish to stock.
dcates
Posted 10/14/2008 7:41 AM (#340639 - in reply to #340208)

IF the WDNR can expand the fishery without harming the fishery elsewhere, why not support the idea?  Isn't that the question that needs to be posed?  Boating pressure is a pain, but better than not having the opportunity to fish muskies!  I do think the idea of stocking larger fish (better survival odds) makes sense, but it may be cost prohibitive.  The WDNR overall does a tremendous job.  Give them some props.
muskypuke
Posted 10/14/2008 8:46 AM (#340647 - in reply to #340639)

I'm a member of the FRV Chapter and I tended to view this proposal as a win/win for everyone. I can't imagine the WI DNR would be behind this effort unless they've concluded:

A. that the introduction of muskies to Lake Geneva would not cause a detrimental impact on other species in the lake that are targeted by anglers
B. the biomass of Lake Geneva can and will support a healthy population of muskies (possibly creating trophy-class fish eventually)
C. that stocking Geneva with muskies extends musky fishing opportunities in S. WI (which is technically a goal also embraced by M.I. from the top down across all states)

Personally ... I've spent very little time fishing S. WI. But creating new opportunities to catch muskies on more lakes in WI still seems like a better idea than the alternative for FRV. (Subsidizing stocking efforts in IL without increasing #s of fish stocked above and beyond the IL DNR plans).

I won't even get into the aesthetics of this lake or that lake. I've only fished on Geneva once. I realize that launch fees are high, and power-boat traffic is difficult at best. But my "home water" is the Fox Chain. Which isn't much better in either of those categories. And arguably, the Fox Chain sustains even heavier angling pressure in general than Geneva does. So could there be more peaceful, easily accessible lakes in Wisconsin to stock? Ones with pre-existing fishable populations of muskies? Yep. But I don't think that should be the most important criteria.

Regardless, I believe that the muskie fishing community in general would benefit from muskies going into Lake Geneva... even if the dividends aren't recognized for several years. If our efforts don't result in helping to stock Geneva, so be it. Ultimately, the FRV money to stock fish is going to go somewhere... in lakes close by hopefully! Just my .02... and a lot of change!

Mark Lamont
Posted 10/14/2008 9:01 AM (#340650 - in reply to #340208)

Yeah, SLED.. Ummm
jonnysled
Posted 10/14/2008 9:32 AM (#340661 - in reply to #340208)

yup ... todd must have flunked geography
ILmuskie
Posted 10/14/2008 10:24 AM (#340675 - in reply to #340208)

10,800 muskies X $12 = $129,600! Ouch!

Big fish in Lake Geneva is for sure! Lot of money into Lake Geneva! We have to wait for 8 to 10 years and see what happened!

If last day of Musky season up north in year of 2018 is already frozen then Tom Gelb might row trolling where...... Lake Geneva! Who knows!
jflannery
Posted 10/15/2008 9:33 AM (#340857 - in reply to #340675)

As long as other lakes that are currently stocked continue to get what they were allocated - I think it would be a great idea to stock Geneva, which is a lake I fish quite a bit being an hour from my home. Due to the pleasure boaters and size - I can see this lake becoming a trophy fishery and not a numbers lake ever. Since the fish will probably have minimal pressure - this lake could hold a record someday. So, you could fish this lake during off hours in hopes of a trophy or still be able to fish the other lakes for more action, etc. With all these budgetary issues however, I highly doubt the funds would be available for whatever reason - but will hope for the best.

I do believe for the fish to make it they do need to be those 12 to 18 inchers and stocking the small guys will probably be a waste. In regards to how many they want to stock at a time - I always thought that a huge majority of any stocked species is lost to predation and such - so my question is - out of 10,000.00 something fish stocked, what is an average percentage that would make it? I'm thinking a few hundred - just can't quite remember those stats.

I want to know that I have trophy muskie pretty close to home - and that is why I would support such an effort.

John

MuskieTom
Posted 10/15/2008 4:25 PM (#340942 - in reply to #340208)

Honestly, the thought of having a lake of that magnitude have musky is incredible. Im 22 so for some of the other people on the board this wont mean squat, but for me this is a real golden opportunity. Sure is the lake huge and requires unbleivalbe stocking numbers, sure are there alot of boaters out there but there isnt on the fox chain? Look at the great fishery the fox chain has become with all those boats. Think of the possibilites a lake like Geneva has, the depth the breaks the forage unreal to think of for someone who lives 45min south of there. I drive up there almost once a month and think to myself what would it take to get this done? Why couldnt multiple clubs come together in a close area and help WI stock this lake? maybe there arent enough fish to go around, you tell me you all are the experts. But getting a good base of fish in that lake would be excellent. If anyone has actually spent time on that lake you know as well as i do that this is a awesome plan and needs to move forward quickly. Me being 22 and have lots of musky fishing ahead of me this is a great time to do this. But everyone has their opinion and maybe im wrong, i guess we'll see
Raider150
Posted 10/15/2008 7:16 PM (#340955 - in reply to #340208)

I think its just a bad idea. They should concentrate their efforts on already existing muskie fisheries. Stock those first and maintain them. Maybe in the future they can do it.
fish hawk
Posted 10/16/2008 12:03 AM (#340994 - in reply to #340208)

I never thought there would be this much negativity on this question, especialy on a musky site, on this question. The guys that are saying this lake is unfishable obviously haven't fished it. I fish it three times a week, because I can only afford two trips a week to Waukesha Co. musky fishing. The size of this lake absorbs the pleasure boat traffic much better than Pewaukee or Okauchee. The lake is easy to fish mornings and evenings and any time of the day before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. Why not add a trophy musky lake to SE Wisconsin. PLEASE STOCK MUSKIES.
C.Painter
Posted 10/16/2008 8:05 AM (#341015 - in reply to #340994)

I don't think folks are being negative (well most folks). I think they are being realistic.

When the state only has so many muskies to stock (and sometimes they run short, like this year) they can only stock so many lakes. the quantity it would take to do an INITIAL stocking of this lake is huge. then ongoing the quantities are large as well. The sytem (WI DNR hatcheries) can't support it right now. So why would you reduce the stocking on lakes we know are effective to stock a lake that is unproven.

I think most on this site would agree that if we COULD get enough fish to stock it on a consistant basis without reducing stocking on other lakes in the state, they would support it.

cory
#4fan
Posted 10/16/2008 10:27 AM (#341037 - in reply to #340208)

Why not use that money to help supplement the muskie population on Lake Delavan which is right down the road. This place has already started stocking muskies in it and we have seen some real big fish. Why experiment on lake Geneva, when Delavan has not yet been put on the map? To me it makes more sense. Anybody?
firstsixfeet
Posted 10/17/2008 11:37 AM (#341201 - in reply to #340632)

ToddM - 10/14/2008 7:27 AM

If wisconsin starts in madison, that means firstsixfeet is a flatlander, I knew it! Was Chilton every really in wisconsin? There is a sorta pregnant.

Just as I suspected, everytime TM crosses the state line he is either already stoned or drunk! Flatlander? Chilton? What a combination insult! Besides that, I live in the KY part of WI now. If I catch you up north next year, I am going to paint over the X you put on the good side of your boat. Then you will never be able to tell where you caught fish again.

On the Geneva issue, I think it has great musky lake potential, and unlike some lakes up there, doubt the stocked fish disappear. Also very much doubt it would ever be a self sustaining fishery, or that natural reproduction would occur. I would wonder about a few things that really can't be answered until they are stocked, is there enough initial cover for the young fish for both their own cover and ambush cover to help them feed, and is there a good supply of size appropriate forage through the first couple of years. Muskies tend to grow through pike predation within a season or two, and from what I understand, largemouth bass predation can be a much bigger problem, for the young fish, than northerns, just through sheer numbers.

If big fish were going to be placed anywhere, I think Delevan would be a much better candidate for that program, as in that lake, I am suspicious that much of the stocking each year is going down predator gullets before they can grow through predation.

#4fan
Posted 10/17/2008 1:54 PM (#341228 - in reply to #340208)

I think I am in favor of Delavan over Geneva without a doubt! It just makes way more sense to me!
chasintails
Posted 3/5/2018 12:38 PM (#895067 - in reply to #340208)

Re visiting this post from way back. Curious to hear about the current state of Geneva. Anyone care to chime in on recent experiences? Feel free to PM me if you wish. Was shocked to read some of the nay sayers posts from 10 years ago. Interesting look back in time.
ToddM
Posted 3/5/2018 12:46 PM (#895070 - in reply to #340208)

FRV will hold a fall tournament tbis year on the lake. Fish are doing well and being caught. There was a supposed giant caught last year, seen the pic but could not verify it was from there as it said.
happy hooker
Posted 3/5/2018 1:55 PM (#895077 - in reply to #895070)

The best thing about this whole situation is there's a Genos East pizza right on the shoreline in town on Geneva,,closer to TC and this would be my favorite lake.
Any chance we could get Minnesota leech lake strain in Geneva?
Any chance we could get a Genos East franchise here on Minnetonka??
Fishen-ski's
Posted 3/5/2018 2:20 PM (#895080 - in reply to #340208)

Muskies have been coming along nicely. Saw a mid-40's pulled
up through the ice this winter. Nice, big fat healthy fish. Released.
I have boat fished this lake a couple times mid-week & you better have your
rig pointed home by 9:30 am or so, or you will get quite a turbulent experience
from all the monster wake boats. Can't say I'm overly excited about having
a new lake within striking range when it has such a limited window. I'm not
a night fishing guy. More & more down here can't wait to retire & do the cabin
thing up North. Mostly head that way if I want to musky fish.....just not worth
the aggravation. Still, it's good to have more musky options.
jonnysled
Posted 3/6/2018 6:15 AM (#895156 - in reply to #340208)

crib notes:
- thank you IL for how great you have made Wisconsin
- Madison crew defending their turf

Edited by jonnysled 3/6/2018 7:40 AM
4amuskie
Posted 3/6/2018 7:53 AM (#895162 - in reply to #895070)

ToddM - 3/5/2018 12:46 PM

FRV will hold a fall tournament tbis year on the lake. Fish are doing well and being caught. There was a supposed giant caught last year, seen the pic but could not verify it was from there as it said.

What a great idea. Hope its a nice warm weekend.
Musky Brian
Posted 3/6/2018 8:59 AM (#895170 - in reply to #340208)

Can you guys also buy a boat launch with more than 20 parking spots too?
gregk9
Posted 3/7/2018 12:12 PM (#895336 - in reply to #895080)

Fishen-ski's - 3/5/2018 2:20 PM

I have boat fished this lake a couple times mid-week & you better have your
rig pointed home by 9:30 am or so, or you will get quite a turbulent experience
from all the monster wake boats.

Really?? Mid-week? How about pre Memorial Day and post Labor Day?
Reelwise
Posted 3/7/2018 2:18 PM (#895369 - in reply to #340208)

I can tell you one thing... Overall, the Bass fishermen are not happy. I guess you can only lose so many $25+ jerkbaits before you start to dislike the perpetrator. The Muskies are doing well... and big fish are being caught.

Edited by Reelwise 3/7/2018 2:19 PM
ToddM
Posted 3/7/2018 3:05 PM (#895379 - in reply to #340208)

It is amazing some of the prices of bass swimbaits, 500 even more. For a plastic bait! I will say this, i have some and musky fish with them. Not the crazy expensive ones but there are some good reasonable ones. Jointed gliders glide and turn really well. I have a jointed bait that looks like a rattle trap that could make a musky milt at will.

Edited by ToddM 3/7/2018 3:06 PM
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 3/7/2018 3:13 PM (#895381 - in reply to #340208)

I'm loving how excited the flatlanders are getting over this. Bette is probably already making Lake Geneva Leaders!!
Fishen-ski's
Posted 3/7/2018 5:03 PM (#895409 - in reply to #340208)

GregK9:

I've never fished early or late in the season, so not 100% about
how busy it is, it's a very popular/busy lake though. Lots of big boats
come out to play & they don't seem real concerned about guys in bass
boats trying to fish. LOL. That's been my experience on a couple of trips
out there. Have to give a try for yourself, I guess you might pick a day &
hope for less traffic. after paying the launch fee, I would like to get a full day
of fishing in, pretty tough here. I'd rather be on the fox chain on the weekend,
if that tells you anything. I know that guys trolling at night for other species are
picking up muskies by chance, so there are fish to be caught. Have at em!

jdsplasher
Posted 3/9/2018 10:23 PM (#895697 - in reply to #340220)

esoxaddict - 10/10/2008 3:44 PM It would be a zoo on weekends, but think of the quality of fish Lake Geneva could produce... On a side note, isn't it funny how a muskie club from IL puts so many fish into WI? And they never seem to thank us when we're up there...

Jeff; here I thought it was the other way around. WI. Residents stocking IL. Waters. Look how many of the Pewaukee fish end up in the Fox Chain;)

JD

PS ; Guess I would Side W/Painter/Worrall/Slammer

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)