Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Big fish...

Message Subject: Big fish...
Top H2O
Posted 8/19/2008 11:07 PM (#332386 - in reply to #332178)
Subject: Re: Big fish...

Come on, Whats the true story here?? Sure looks huge to me .

Jerome
ManitouDan
Posted 8/20/2008 9:34 AM (#332449 - in reply to #330999)

Did he keep it ? would love to see the other images. I was thinking 56-57 ?? hard to tell great fish MD
Johnny Cakes
Posted 8/21/2008 5:08 PM (#332734 - in reply to #332075)
Subject: RE: Big fish...

LINDA RICE - 8/18/2008 5:02 PM

This fish is huge. It was a 54.5 inch fish and the guy is only 56.5 inches tall.

This fish is awesome .

Huge head and body. Too bad they didn't get the girth.

What a fish!! 60 or 54.5, it doesn't really matter to me, the fish is a beast. I wish there was a story posted behind the catch.

The only thing I find unbelievable about the details shared is the angler's height being only 4'8. No offense to the short in stature audience here, but I don't see anyone that small lifting this hog as such, unless they're showcasing some major pipes. This angler looks to be at least of average height. Maybe that was a misprint Linda. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Big V
"Gimmie some of those Jimmy Deans"

muskyroller
Posted 8/21/2008 8:40 PM (#332762 - in reply to #332449)

Lac Seul is all catch and release and all muskies must be released. So, I'm guessing it was not kept if it in fact it was caught out of Lac Seul.

I've seen one fish that size on Lac Seul on the North East section three years ago...HUGE!

Steve
Fishboy19
Posted 8/24/2008 12:08 AM (#333054 - in reply to #330999)

That's a grand old fish! Big head and fins.
hilo buck
Posted 10/9/2008 7:51 AM (#339933 - in reply to #331563)

I am the guy who caught the fish on Lac Seul. My name is Neil and I caught the fish on August 2nd of this year on the figure eight using a Shumway Flasher bucktail. The spot was near current and along a deep bank. I am 5'6.5" tall and I did not crap my pants (almost). It took all of my might to lift this fish. I regret not scrutinizing the measurements but I do not believe in keeping the fish out of the water any longer than I have to. I am holding the fish against my body. This fish is the largest I have seen and obviously caught. I have been guiding out of Sioux Lookout for at least fifteen years. I film my own fishing shows. This is legit. Thanks for the comments and if you want more pictures just ask. I share information to all visiting anglers to our area... If you have questions etc. Just Ask. The fish was long, pretty fat and an incredibly huge head. I can't wait to try to catch this fish this fall when it has it's winter fat.
hilo buck
Posted 10/9/2008 7:55 AM (#339934 - in reply to #332734)

Sorry Linda.

I must correct you. I am 5'6.5" tall... that means 66.5" tall. Do your math next time. The guide who was with me has been corrected of this inaccurate statement of my height. He freaked and commented that the fish was not much shorter than I, in fact, he stated that I must lift the fish higher so it was not covering my shoes(CROCS) or touching the boat. Thanks for the comments Linda. Do you really think I am only 4'8"? Come on, you know me... next time we will stand back to back.
muskynorth
Posted 10/9/2008 8:31 AM (#339941 - in reply to #330999)

Mr. Worrall.

Steve Hieting and Jow Bucher know of the fish and have the story. If you have any questions and if you want details let me know. There are many rumors on my size and height that have start at Moosehorn... they are inaccurate... I would like to set the record straight if I can.

Sincerely Fishing;

neil Michelin
sworrall
Posted 10/9/2008 8:35 AM (#339942 - in reply to #330999)

Neil,
Give me a call at 715.362.1760 and we'll get an audio interview on that great fish. Jim Kalkofen sent me the images, we were going to fish with you until the PWT imploded just before the Can AM.
muskynorth
Posted 10/9/2008 3:51 PM (#340039 - in reply to #330999)
Subject: Lac Seul monster update from This past August

Hello everyone. I am new to this group. I caught the really big muskie(on the figure eight) on August 2, 2008 on Lac Seul. Everyone is free to ask anything they want. Whether it is about lures, spots, or anything related to Lac Seul and area lakes... For the record, I am 5'6.5" tall. I weigh around 136lbs. I am not tough but yet, no weakling; it took all of might to lift this fish from the net let alone hold it. I have been doing the fishing and guiding thing for along time. I have handled countless big fish of all local species but this one rattled me. I'm ready to meet fellow anglers and share my story, knowledge and experiences.
The fish was huge and it went back healthy.

Over 60". I am holding on for dear life. No trick photography here. Stay tuned for details. Sworral will have all of the details very soon. This one was legit and swimming around for the next lucky angler. Lac Seul in the south eastern section near current. I have a series of photos and my expression is surprise, exursion and exhaustion. My wife will tell you... I slept in my clothes that night and all she could smell in the morning was that musky smell. I was wet and slimed pretty good.

Neil Michelin of Sioux Lookout

Sincerely Fishing;
Netman
Posted 10/10/2008 7:17 AM (#340134 - in reply to #330999)

Nice fish I can't believe the size of the head. looks like it has some room to grow yet.

Bruce
hammerhandle
Posted 10/10/2008 7:35 AM (#340135 - in reply to #330999)

Absolutely amazing! I love that you slept in your clothes. Can we see more pictures of this one?

Bo
muskynorth
Posted 10/10/2008 8:01 AM (#340139 - in reply to #340135)

As soon as I figure out how to post photos. Steve Worrall... can you help me with this? Do you have any pics from JimK that you can post for me?
Doonan
Posted 10/10/2008 11:39 AM (#340181 - in reply to #340139)

Muskynorth...thats one heck of a fish...I have a question for you though, I've been taking a trip to LOTW every year and was considering a trip to Lac Suel next summer instead. The only thing that has stopped me so far is the lack of knowledge of the lake and the density of the population. Don't get me wrong I would die a happy man if I caught a fish the size of which you did, but I also like being able to conact multiple fish a day which happens pretty regularly on LOTW. I was curious if the action on Lac Suel is pretty similiar?
JRedig
Posted 10/10/2008 11:51 AM (#340183 - in reply to #340139)

muskynorth - 10/9/2008 10:01 PM

As soon as I figure out how to post photos. Steve Worrall... can you help me with this? Do you have any pics from JimK that you can post for me?

Email them to me, i'll post them. birdmanmt at gmail dot com
muskynorth
Posted 10/10/2008 7:36 PM (#340253 - in reply to #340181)

Doonan...
It is not uncommon to encounter multiple fish on a day of fishing. I spend a lot of time sharing info with anglers who fish these waters. I can suggest many specific locations, types of structure and other lakes with dense musky populations. Come up here sometime. In fact we can start with the suggestions including detailed maps and stuff to get you hooked. I concentrate my efforts after July 4. I have greater success on Lac Seul throughout the season. The deep clear water lakes are different. I plan trips to catch fish and learn. Would you like to find out more?

LOTW is great. the goon is great... but a lot of new anglers change over to the Seul for the fact that once you learn the main run it is difficult to get lost. Lac Seul is a series of interconnecting bodies of water that became bigger when they built a dam in Ear Falls. I can help you learn your "drive to work" every day because that is my approach with all new guides who take my training programs. When I guide for visiting anglers it is usually for only long enough for them to learn enough to get started. They are getting a better bang for their buck this way than staying at a lodge, hiring a guide for all day and probably, the guide will end up catching all the fish. That is not what people want. This is why my approach is different. I am a guide's guide to fishing Lac Seul. My focus is on customer service and making sure my guests are catching the fish. Let me know what you think and please keep in touch. The more you learn now will pay off when you get here. You may be interested in my fish calendar as well. It will help you determine what cycle the fish are in; whether it is bass, walleye, pike trout or muskies, it helps to know what is your best chance. Having the edge with fishing is every angler's dream... My success rate has increased alot since I figured this out. I do not always catch them but I find them and I leave the rest up to the fish gods.
Pretty well all of the muskies you encounter on Lac Seul are trophy size. I have boated five in a span of four hours. I have missed almost all of my 50+ fish so far, but, I landed the one that counts.
Keep in touch.
Neil Michelin
sworrall
Posted 10/10/2008 9:06 PM (#340260 - in reply to #330999)

Neil,

Give me a call tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM if that's possible, missed your call because I was on the phone. Call me on 715.362.1760 and we'll set up an interview on the MuskieFIRST radio gear. If you can't call at that time, let me know in a post here when you can. thanks!
muskynorth
Posted 10/10/2008 11:32 PM (#340279 - in reply to #340260)

is that central time or eastern time? I will probably call you from out on the lake if that is OK. Talk to you tomorrow.
sworrall
Posted 10/11/2008 12:04 AM (#340280 - in reply to #330999)

Central. I'll be standing by. In fact, call me at 715.362.1760, I'll have the equipment hooked up and ready toi go.
missinmuskie
Posted 10/14/2008 7:35 AM (#340635 - in reply to #340134)

I am trying to understand all of this size thing, since we have two differing heights of one man. Starting with Mrs. Rice's comments, if in fact Neil is only 56" tall, then that would make him 4' 8"... that is pretty short. Given the fact that she has said the muskie is only 2" shorter than Neil " the muskie is 54.5 inches while he is 56.5 inches tall" then lets do some simple math. If in fact Neil is 5 foot 6.5 inches or 66.5 (which is the correct way to measure somebody), and if she states the fish is only 2 inches shorter than Neil, and he is 66.5" tall then that fish would be.... drum roll please.... 64.5 inches in length. Wow that is amazing. Biggest fish I have ever seen, or may see in my life... Congrats Neil on a fine fish, a fish of a life time...
sworrall
Posted 10/14/2008 10:39 AM (#340676 - in reply to #330999)

I have the MuskieFIRST Radio interview ready to go. Neil states how big that fish was, and tells the whole story.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=1183
muskyfvr
Posted 10/14/2008 3:48 PM (#340744 - in reply to #330999)

Nice to hear his story and see more photos. Truly a fish of a lifetime. Eh
SVT
Posted 10/14/2008 4:42 PM (#340749 - in reply to #330999)

37" or 57" or 67" either way thats a pig and congrats too you...too many people guessing the size of the fish when MOST havnt even seen a fish EVEN CLOSE to that size.... its a fish of a lifetime thats for sure, but keep up the good work and stick another pig...so M1st guys have something to guess at how big it is...
Cowboyhannah
Posted 10/14/2008 4:57 PM (#340751 - in reply to #330999)

Wow--look how that thing is bending---at some point I wonder if fish get so big there IS no good way to hold them out of the water at all.

I sure would enjoy trying to figure out a good way, though.

Congrats.
Sackett
Posted 10/14/2008 5:52 PM (#340758 - in reply to #330999)

This is a very well done documentation of a released fish. Truly a beast. Thanks to Neil for sharing with us, and Steve for displaying it.

Later Sackett
capt morgan
Posted 10/14/2008 6:29 PM (#340761 - in reply to #330999)

so a vertical hold is more harmful than laying one on a wet bump board to get an accurate measurement. Interesting opinion.
fish of a lifetime for sure congrats, but I don't see how it could be 60 with him being 5'6.5". ? Am I crazy
Not nearly as heavy as some of the Mille Lacs monsters in recent years imo
Posted 10/14/2008 6:45 PM (#340768 - in reply to #330999)

Would have been nice to get an accurate measurement on a bumpboard instead of a tape.
Derrys
Posted 10/14/2008 6:53 PM (#340769 - in reply to #330999)

A vertical hold can cause a lot of internal damage to the fish, and Muskies Inc. does not endorse holding fish vertically. Coincidently, two photos I received from individuals this month for use in Muskies Inc.'s magazine could not be used as we have criteria in place against holding fish in a vertical manner. We have drawings in the magazine showing the recommended ways to hold the fish that put their well-being first and foremost. I'm sure the larger the fish, the more damage that could be done. I don't see any harm in laying fish on a wet bump board at all, I do it a lot. I know when I used to Bass fish I competed in a few tournaments where measurements were to be pretty accurate. Some people had aluminum bump board rulers screwed down to the deck of their boat. Those things got very hot laying out in the hot sun all day, and I wonder how many fish were laid down on them without splashing them with water or something first. That could be very harmful to the fish, but lying Muskies on wet bump boards is very different in my opinion, and not nearly, if at all harmful. Maybe someone needs to study it further, but I've seen no credible evidence of it harming the fish in any way.
Top H2O
Posted 10/14/2008 7:07 PM (#340775 - in reply to #330999)

Great interview and truly a fish of a lifetime !

Lets try not to ruin a great story and and moment by nit picking about how this HUGE fish should have been handled. The fish swam off for someone else to make their own little bit of monster fish history........ Good job Neil and partner..

Jerome
Big fish only
Posted 10/14/2008 10:46 PM (#340808 - in reply to #330999)

I am willing to bet that a bunch of you musky incers would have thumped that fish if it came out of a lake where you could have. I believe that he did a great job of getting the fish back and fine. personally I would probably have not done that well a job if I ever got one of that size. I think that it was easily as heavy or heavier than the vast vast majority (if not every one) of the mille lac monsters without a doubt. even if it was only 58 on a bump board then its still larger than the mille lacers.

just my 2 cents,
Alex
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)