Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> help row trolling

Message Subject: help row trolling

Posted 4/23/2002 4:02 AM (#7117)
Subject: help row trolling

I was wondering who makes a good rowtroller? Also any help you could give me on how to do it would be get. Do you use planner boards or do you just long line a few lines behind the boat?I am new to this form of muskie fishing so I dont know where to start.

Posted 4/23/2002 8:33 AM (#30068)

Howdy, My uncle just purchased this one for up at the cabin. http://www.by-the-sea.com/middlepathboats/specifications.htm This one seemed to best fit our wants. I have no experience fishing in it yet, but I plan to add a couple of rod holders and troll with 2 of my 8’ trolling rods. I have a big straw cowboy hat that I’ve now deemed my row-trolling hat. I want people to see me and say, “Look at that goofy ****er row-trolling”. Have fun and lets compare notes later this summer.[:sun:]

Posted 4/23/2002 9:13 AM (#30069)

If you are looking to get started in row trolling you can pick up a Colman or Old Town sport boat for around $800.00 to $1200.00. I used a Colman for a few years and it worked OK. As far as planner boards go, they pull pretty hard and I would only use them for a few hours at a time.

Posted 4/23/2002 10:49 AM (#30070)

Masterpiece Boats in Ironwood Michigan Makes a beautiful row troller of glassed in cedar. The price is around $3000.00. The others mentioned above are less expensive.Planer boards-downriggers,etc are all usefull techniques for row trolling. It can get as simple or complicated as you want.Multiple lines are good but can sometimes be a hassle if your alone.Ive caught lots of large fish utilizing just one line. The beauty of row trolling is a dramatic change from from the normal tactics of casting or power trolling.One of my favorite activities is row trolling surface lures at night after a full day of guiding.Its very relaxing and productive. I use a Humminbird locator with a portable clamp on transducer. Eight foot featherlite oars allow you to move fast and row for hours without fatigue.Other techniques I like are rock bouncing crankbaits like the large Ernie and using a bottom walker combined with a surface lure such as a tallywacker or topraider(very productive ). I fought and lost an over 65"musky with that tactic_She comletely shredded a Tallywacker and straightened the treble hook. It helps to choose a lake that will be least affected by the wind direction at the moment or choose low wind times to row.There are innumerable subtleties involved in consistently having success row trolling- Hope this helps a little-Good luck-Would love to hear how your doing if you get a boat.

Posted 4/24/2002 6:44 PM (#30071)

I have one I could probobly sell, 2000 K and L industries...12' plastic john boat, goes 5 mph with 30 lb thrust trolling motor...in my first year I boated 3 muskies from the boat (just trolling) Let me know if your interested.

Posted 4/25/2002 10:05 AM (#30072)

7Islands,
What’s the best way to set the hook? Do you grab the rod right away or do you set with the oars? Do you have any kind of motor on yours?
Thanks

Posted 4/25/2002 4:29 PM (#30073)

After a strike I usually pull the oars hard ONE time to help set the hook.I set the hook again right away when I stand up to fight the fish. By just seting it with the oars once I avoid the fish rolling in the line.Hopes this answers your question

Posted 4/25/2002 4:36 PM (#30074)

Forgot the second part of the question: I dont carry and/or use any type of motor on mine. Couple of reasons for this: A> it forces you to troll over water you might think is unproductive on your way to "the" spot.B>I like to have the rod facing directly out over the transom because I lose less fish this way.C>I just like to keep the whole system simple,fast,and as light as possible(purist attitude I guess )
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)