Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Humminbird Side Imaging

Message Subject: Humminbird Side Imaging
BALDY
Posted 2/19/2008 3:21 PM (#302192 - in reply to #284384)
Subject: RE: Humminbird Side Imaging

Ok, I am still tossing around the idea of getting one of these units, and I just thought of another possible issue/negative to the unit.

I cast most of the time, so here is how I see myself using the unit...

1. Drive around shoreline/structure scanning with side imaging
2. see interesting feature on side image
3. create waypoint for interesting feature so I can be sure to cast it

Now what?

If I get this unit it will be on my dash and will the only Humminbird unit that I have.

So, now I have a waypoint marked on my dash unit, but I really need it on the bow where I am running the boat from.

So, for casting and without 2 networked Humminbird units am I really gaining anything?
Posted 2/19/2008 6:08 PM (#302251 - in reply to #284384)
Subject: Re: Humminbird Side Imaging

Maniac, Thanks for the great posts! I jsut picked up a 979c2 to play with this year. You mentioned that you mounted the transducer up higher so as to not get struck by anything.

What I am planning on doing is mounting the transducer in the middle of the transom right below the motor and up a couple inches from the bottom. Is this what you would do if you only intended to use the SI for it's side finding capabilities? I already have 2 113's on my boat so I don't need the 979 for reading bottom or GPS. I guess I should still hook up the GPS though so that I can mark spots that I see on the SI. Your advice is greatlly appreciated.
Blaineski
Posted 2/19/2008 9:24 PM (#302319 - in reply to #284384)

I have a Humminbird 787C2 one step down from the SI technology, and I have been nothing but pleased with its performance. I considered Lowrance at the time of purchase, but felt the "bird" offered a bit more value, and had a higher resolution, in relationship to the comparable Lowrance unit.

One recommendation I do have is that you send an email to Wade at Jolly Ann Marine. http://www.jollyannesales.com--his prices are the best I've found and his service is second to none--so much so that I also bought my trolling motor through him.

My 2 cents. Good luck with your purchase.

ESfishOX
Posted 4/19/2008 12:01 PM (#314136 - in reply to #284384)

Al, thanks for posting the images with your interpretation!

Tom, did you get a 'bird?

Baldy, do you have GPS at the bow? It seems a GPS unit on the bow would be the only way to solve your dilemma? I recall Heiting said he does exactly what you intend to do; he scans the area, marks where he wants to return, and then picks it apart casting.

Ray at Hodges Marine was helpful with the Humminbird product and seemed to have the best price at the time I looked into purchases. Humminbird.factoryoutletstore.com was the other, but they were backordered on the 1197c at the time too. I can't stress enough how calling Humminbird support was the best source of information. The units with the Navionics bundle is from '06. I went without the bundle, but I'll likely get the Navionics chip. I talked to LakeMaster about supporting the 'birds, and they'd love to. They asked I call Humminbird to request support for the LakeMaster chips.

Mike
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/19/2008 9:51 PM (#314198 - in reply to #314136)

From what I understand LakeMaster & Lowrance are affiliated- which makes it impossible to get the LakeMaster maps that are compatible with the Humminbird. I have the Navonics package on my Humminbird 997c SI- and wish I could get Lakemaster lake data on my SI. I have the LakeMaster Disk. But it's worthless with the Humminbird. Seems like LakeMaster is losing business with a one-sided relationship with Lowrance.

Al
ESfishOX
Posted 4/19/2008 10:07 PM (#314202 - in reply to #284384)

here's the e-mail from LakeMaster. Maybe it is Navionics and Humminbird that have the agreement?

From: LakeMaster Technical Support [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:58 AM
To: Mike Phelps
Subject: LakeMaster Support

Hi Mike,

We do not currently offer any products that are
compatible with Humminbird GPS / Sonar unit
product line.

Please contact Humminbird and let them know you
wish to have our data working with their line of products.

Thank you for your encouraging support of our product line,
it means a lot to have dedicated customers like yourself!

If you have further questions, please contact us.

Best Regards,

LakeMaster Lake Maps
Technical Support Group

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)