Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tiger muskie with eye's to big

Message Subject: Tiger muskie with eye's to big
muskiecrazy
Posted 5/4/2005 7:32 PM (#145931)
Subject: Tiger muskie with eye's to big

In today's paper they had a picture of a 41" tiger muskie that tryed to eat a 39" tiger muskie that they found floating in the lake you can go to rockymountainnews.com then click on receration then click for the full story to see the picture you can click on the picture and it will enlarge it a little so you can see it better.
Slamr
Posted 5/4/2005 7:49 PM (#145936 - in reply to #145931)
Subject: RE: Tiger muskie with eye's to big

Nature punishes unreasonable risk-takers. The risk/opportunity ratio seems to be calculated very carefully for fish.

- From Thomas Sholseth's How Fish Work

What was "the fish of a thousand casts" thinking when it tried to eat one of its own kind - and size? Clearly, the mugging that happened at Quincy Reservoir on April 24 was a heroic case of one's eyes being too large for one's stomach.

The fracas happened not far from Quincy's dam on a Sunday morning, when one large tiger muskie tried to eat another large tiger muskie headfirst. The snaggle-toothed predators ended up something like buck deer with locked antlers.

It was strange behavior for a fish anglers know as sullen and reluctant to open its mouth. Maybe they bore some grudge against each other. We will never know. There were no witnesses to the attack.

Ranger Diane Donovan found the combatants when she was patrolling the Aurora Parks reservoir's shoreline. Two anglers called her attention to something unusual they had spied floating on the surface, and she waded in to check it out.

"It looked like one tried to eat the other and it came out of his gill," Donovan said. "The big one was 41 inches long, and that was the one that tried to eat the small one that was 39 inches long. They were both quite heavy."

The tiger muskies were floating in 1 foot of water just off the bank. Apparently, Donovan found them only minutes after they succumbed.

"They looked very fresh," she said. "There was nothing ripe about them. I've never seen anything like it, except with smaller fish. It was quite amazing."

The pair might be united forever. Aurora Parks is considering giving some taxidermist the daunting task of mounting the tangle. Doubtless, the display will make a strong statement about risk-taking.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(431984288_e.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 431984288_e.jpg (29KB - 785 downloads)
muskynightmare
Posted 5/4/2005 11:02 PM (#145963 - in reply to #145936)

"Nature punishes unreasonable risk-takers."
Love it, Slamr! Is that yours? I gotta know, because it is the story of my life! Fell out of the tree stand 2 years ago after arrowing my first deer with a bow. This ones mine, and everyone is welcome to use it
" If you are gonna grab life by the ball$, be sure to hang on!"
Good luck, and be safe to everyone this season!

Edited by muskynightmare 5/4/2005 11:03 PM
happy hooker
Posted 5/5/2005 9:29 AM (#146007 - in reply to #145931)

Your all over analizing,,,its mating spawning season,, Im betting it was a french kiss gone bad
tomyv
Posted 5/5/2005 9:47 AM (#146012 - in reply to #146007)

I'm with happy hooker on this one.
musky14
Posted 5/5/2005 10:18 AM (#146019 - in reply to #145931)

This can be used as a teaching tool to make sure you chew your food well so you don't choke
marine_1
Posted 5/5/2005 11:36 AM (#146028 - in reply to #145931)

A guy I know found one with a Drum stuck in its gills this Spring. 48" of supidity . . .

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/recreation_columnists/article/0,1...

Edited by marine_1 5/5/2005 1:19 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)