Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Is this idea crazy?

Message Subject: Is this idea crazy?
zelmo
Posted 4/27/2024 4:23 PM (#1028036)
Subject: Is this idea crazy?

I have been targeting muskie in the fall and have The Jerk w/Tranx to throw glide baits. I am going out soon and will be using Musky Killers and Micro Double Cowgirls. I have enough rods and don’t want to buy another right now so I was hoping to use one that I already have.

I was thinking of trying my Dobyn’s DC 805 CB RM for them. This is an 8’ rod designed for deep diving crankbaits. As such it has a strong backbone with a bit of a soft tip.

Any thoughts about using this on this trip? Eventually I will get another St Croix (Long Ranger?) but I don’t have time for that right now.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/28/2024 5:58 AM (#1028043 - in reply to #1028036)
Subject: RE: Is this idea crazy?

That rod will do just fine! The bend in the rod is what keeps fish pinned. Just match lure weights with rod weights suggested on rod!

JD

hahdawg
Posted 4/28/2024 9:44 AM (#1028047 - in reply to #1028043)
Subject: Re: Is this idea crazy?

Ha. I use that rod for bass (great rod!), and I just lost a low 40 I accidentally hooked on it yesterday. The fish screamed in straight at me, and I was reeling as fast as I could. Then the fish ran under the boat, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I had my rod tip deep in the water as the fish was swimming away from me on the other side of the boat, and a rock must have cut my 14-lb fluoro leader. Wind was probably 45+ MPH, so boat control was an issue.

If I'd been using my normal XH rod, I would've easily been able to stop the fish cold at the boat. I don't like using bass rods for muskies. You can absolutely throw small, heavy bucktails like the kind you mentioned on XH rods. Just back off your drag a bit so you don't straighten hooks when you fight fish.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/28/2024 10:14 AM (#1028049 - in reply to #1028036)

An 806 or 867 is a good downsizer rod, not sure about the 805. I'm guessing you could get away with lures with very small trebles. The bigger the hooks, the more backbone you need to bury them and keep fish pinned.
chuckski
Posted 4/28/2024 10:25 AM (#1028053 - in reply to #1028036)

A lighter outfit will take you longer to land a fish and is not as forgiving as a " true Muskie rod" ,but two things it's fun to land fish on lighter tackle and of course we hook Muskies fishing for other things.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/28/2024 10:31 AM (#1028054 - in reply to #1028047)

hahdawg - 4/28/2024 9:44 AM Ha. I use that rod for bass (great rod!), and I just lost a low 40 I accidentally hooked on it yesterday. The fish screamed in straight at me, and I was reeling as fast as I could. Then the fish ran under the boat, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I had my rod tip deep in the water as the fish was swimming away from me on the other side of the boat, and a rock must have cut my 14-lb fluoro leader. Wind was probably 45+ MPH, so boat control was an issue. If I'd been using my normal XH rod, I would've easily been able to stop the fish cold at the boat. I don't like using bass rods for muskies. You can absolutely throw small, heavy bucktails like the kind you mentioned on XH rods. Just back off your drag a bit so you don't straighten hooks when you fight fish.

U may want to evaluate your leader!!! Wire for Muskies! 14 lb floro just a bit of a stretch.

And Trying to stop a Musky is asking for trouble;)!  Sounds like the rod did the Job!

zelmo
Posted 4/28/2024 12:02 PM (#1028056 - in reply to #1028047)

hahdawg - 4/28/2024 10:44 AM

Ha. I use that rod for bass (great rod!), and I just lost a low 40 I accidentally hooked on it yesterday. The fish screamed in straight at me, and I was reeling as fast as I could. Then the fish ran under the boat, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I had my rod tip deep in the water as the fish was swimming away from me on the other side of the boat, and a rock must have cut my 14-lb fluoro leader. Wind was probably 45+ MPH, so boat control was an issue.

If I'd been using my normal XH rod, I would've easily been able to stop the fish cold at the boat. I don't like using bass rods for muskies. You can absolutely throw small, heavy bucktails like the kind you mentioned on XH rods. Just back off your drag a bit so you don't straighten hooks when you fight fish.

Thanks for all the replies. I do intend to get a musky rod for these baits but don’t have time to do that for this trip.

I usually have a Crazy Cranker (4.9:1) on that rod but after hearing that story maybe I should put something faster on it for this trip?
hahdawg
Posted 4/28/2024 2:28 PM (#1028066 - in reply to #1028054)

jdsplasher - 4/28/2024 10:31 AM

U may want to evaluate your leader!!! Wire for Muskies! 14 lb floro just a bit of a stretch. And Trying to stop a Musky is asking for trouble;)!  Sounds like the rod did the Job!

I was bass fishing. Muskies are closed where I live until Memorial Day.
hahdawg
Posted 4/28/2024 2:39 PM (#1028067 - in reply to #1028056)

zelmo - 4/28/2024 12:02 PM
I usually have a Crazy Cranker (4.9:1) on that rod but after hearing that story maybe I should put something faster on it for this trip?

A low gear bass reel will be painfully slow. In shallow water, you'd practically have to reel at max speed every cast to keep your bait off the bottom. Some people don't mind slow reels though.

Also, now that I think of it, the rod might flex a lot in the 8 with even small bucktails. Again, some people don't mind that, but it drives me nuts.
jdsplasher
Posted 4/28/2024 3:10 PM (#1028069 - in reply to #1028066)

hahdawg - 4/28/2024 2:28 PM
jdsplasher - 4/28/2024 10:31 AM U may want to evaluate your leader!!! Wire for Muskies! 14 lb floro just a bit of a stretch. And Trying to stop a Musky is asking for trouble;)!  Sounds like the rod did the Job!
I was bass fishing. Muskies are closed where I live until Memorial Day.

I get that! Muskies closed here also. There is a catch and release bass season  now, but I still use light steel 49 strand when toothy critters present.

bass still very catchable with light wire leaders. I use wire during C/R bass season for most presentations cuz Muskies still bite and I can successfully release them without a lure left in their throat.

zelmo
Posted 4/28/2024 3:11 PM (#1028070 - in reply to #1028067)

hahdawg - 4/28/2024 3:39 PM

zelmo - 4/28/2024 12:02 PM

A low gear bass reel will be painfully slow. In shallow water, you'd practically have to reel at max speed every cast to keep your bait off the bottom. Some people don't mind slow reels though.

Also, now that I think of it, the rod might flex a lot in the 8 with even small bucktails. Again, some people don't mind that, but it drives me nuts.

I had focused on the Dobyn’s rod because of the soft tip. I was thinking that might be better for treble hooks.

I have two other 7’6” rods that I could use. One is a MF Heavy and the other is XF MH. I guess I could rig one and take the others in case the one I rigged turns out to be a pain.
Ranger
Posted 4/28/2024 3:29 PM (#1028073 - in reply to #1028036)
Subject: RE: Is this idea crazy?

You can catch all sorts of muskies on that rod. I have a dedicated creature rod made from a blank designed for flipping bass in heavy cover. If your gear is right, good line, leader, sharp hooks, knots and especially your drag system, you'll likely bring any musky to boat side.

Another thing, a dedicated creature rod can be very handy as the throw back for a figure 8 that didn't hit. My fav is a black/black heavy-duty bass jig with the skirt trimmed and an added white Berkley twin twister tail. I want the fish to hit on the no-slack slow drop, so I don't use the heaviest options.

I still remember the first time somebody showed me a creature in action. Mike Hoen (aka Muskyone, aka Champion Taco Eater) flipped it from Worrall's boat into mine, into my lap, from like 30 yards.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)