Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wrong kind of practice........

Message Subject: Wrong kind of practice........
Manta18
Posted 4/26/2024 10:19 AM (#1028010)
Subject: Wrong kind of practice........

So I ordered a new lure and have it sent to my office because my wife thinks I already have too many lures, Lure comes, I unpackage it examined it and set it down. Later that day I decide to move my office furniture around and in the process knock the lure off the desk, tried to grab it (because my brain doesn't have the capacity to think "this is going to end bad") and BOOM! Yup, run hook right through my finger. Before I could look for tools to remove the hook I learned that our company admin is really thought it was cool and loved the gore. Also, the Sales Manager is not fond of blood, turns white as a sheet and almost passes out at the sight of blood. Even tho it didn't really bleed until I backed the hook out. I am now up to speed on how to remove a Bomb Squad Baits Tomahawk from the fingers. BTW.....shout out to Bomb Squad, hooks on the bait were like a scalpel.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Fingerhook18.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Fingerhook18.jpg (101KB - 10 downloads)
esoxaddict
Posted 4/26/2024 1:00 PM (#1028013 - in reply to #1028010)
Subject: Re: Wrong kind of practice........

GAH!

I've never had one that bad, though I did manage to embed a zara spook in the back of my arm one evening. Had to go to the local bar to find a volunteer. Lucky for me there was someone I knew behind the bar.

Judy: "Hey Jeff! What can I get 'ya?""
Me: "Well, I could really use a whiskey. And someone with a strong stomach and a good set of eyes."

Guy at the bar stands up and says "That's me! What can I do for you?"

So I turn around, roll up my sleeve and say: "Well, you could help me get THIS outta my arm..."

Poor guy turns white....

"Uhhh..... Well... What do you want me to do?!"

ME: "Come with me."

So I take the guy out to my truck, and start handing him tools and stuff...

"Okay, cut that treble hook. No, not there. Cut it at the base. Yep. Right there.
Okay good. Now take these pliers. You're gonna have to push that hook point through the skin and pull it out."

I couldn't see much except the dudes hands shaking and the fact that skin stretches an awful lot. He's being a total mouse about the whole thing. It took him several tries.

"Ya gotta do better than that!!"

Finally out of panic he gets the courage to actually exert enough force to get the point back out through the skin.

"yeah, that's it. You got it! Okay, take these forceps (more tools) and grab that point. Wait, before you do that, put some of this #*#* on it." (neosporin, which I always carry)

Finally this guy gets the hook point and pulls it out of my arm...

Not knocking the guy by any means. I'm pretty sure it was his first surgery. I left him a a $20 on the bar for drinks or whatever which he tried to refuse. His hands were still shaking when I left the bar. I often wonder how many times he's told that story.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/26/2024 2:37 PM (#1028017 - in reply to #1028010)

Ha! Did she ask what happened when you got home? I'll admit I've used the office as a shipping destination a time or two.
sworrall
Posted 4/26/2024 3:36 PM (#1028019 - in reply to #1028010)

Ouch.
miket55
Posted 4/26/2024 5:37 PM (#1028021 - in reply to #1028010)

In the lobby of the ER at Eagle River Hospital, and their state of the art medical devices..

This was back in '13, and even then the bill was $600. The only reason I went was my tetanus shot was out of date..

Edited by miket55 4/26/2024 5:43 PM

(50a0.jpg)

(2be1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 50a0.jpg (27KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments 2be1.jpg (34KB - 7 downloads)
Ranger
Posted 4/27/2024 11:48 AM (#1028030 - in reply to #1028010)

Yowch! Been there.

(hooked hand pic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hooked hand pic.jpg (8KB - 7 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 4/27/2024 12:43 PM (#1028031 - in reply to #1028010)

Eagle River's ER kit looks upgraded from when I went in with an embedded musky hook in 1978. That day, I was one of three guys getting hooks cut out at the same time. The ER nurse had my buddy and I cracking up with funny stories about folks coming in with hooks. Was always grateful my friend insisted on going to ER, rather than jerking it out. The barb was embedded in a tendon and required a scalpel to carefully release without further damaging the tendon.
miket55
Posted 4/27/2024 1:43 PM (#1028032 - in reply to #1028010)

Back in the early '60s I was taken to a good ol' fashioned country doc up there for a non fishing related suture job. A couple of years ago, a family member got stitched up at the urgent care facility in Rhinelander. The latter was a lot less time consuming than dealing with ER triage.
curdmudgeon
Posted 4/27/2024 5:21 PM (#1028037 - in reply to #1028010)

thanks for sharing and glad you will be back fishing soon. hooks scare my wife to high heavens for some reason but knives are what bother me. choose your poison, I'll take hooks and hard cider.

Edited by curdmudgeon 4/27/2024 5:23 PM
CincySkeez
Posted 4/29/2024 8:48 AM (#1028090 - in reply to #1028010)

Yeesh. That hurts.
OH Musky
Posted 5/4/2024 9:56 AM (#1028215 - in reply to #1028010)

First wife worked at a local hosp in Miami. Always had a bottle of freeze spray they used in the ER on the boat (we bass fished every weekend out in the Glades or Okeechobee). Had to use it a couple times on her and other fishing partners. Most of the time was due to pulling lures out of trees, grass or off docks. Small crankbait trebles were the worst if they were buried to the bend. Worm hooks were easier if they were sharp.

The double looped fishing line around the hook with downward pressure on the shank worked well if yanked back quickly.

Edited by OH Musky 5/4/2024 9:58 AM
raftman
Posted 5/4/2024 11:36 AM (#1028216 - in reply to #1028215)

OH Musky - 5/4/2024 9:56 AM

The double looped fishing line around the hook with downward pressure on the shank worked well if yanked back quickly.

Paid $500 for somebody to do that when I buried a walleye jig in my thumb. Been waiting to try it since.
OH Musky
Posted 5/4/2024 2:34 PM (#1028220 - in reply to #1028216)

raftman - 5/4/2024 12:36 PM
Paid $500 for somebody to do that when I buried a walleye jig in my thumb. Been waiting to try it since.

As long as you can press the shank to get the barb away from anything soft, it should come out easily. If you stick a hook thru a tendon, all bets are off and you should seek professional medical help.
gimruis
Posted 5/6/2024 1:13 PM (#1028251 - in reply to #1028010)

I took a crank bait to the back of the head once when someone was casting too close. Two of the hooks went past the barbs. There isn't a lot of "meat on the bone" with your skull. I almost passed out after the lure initially whacked me as it felt like I got hit in the head with a rock.

The urgent care also injected my head a couple times lidocaine to numb up the area and remove the hooks.

The boat has two casting decks. Use both of them and spread out.
chuckski
Posted 5/6/2024 1:33 PM (#1028252 - in reply to #1028010)

I've been hooked by a Pike driving a hook thru the side of my middle finger and out the top and my nephew got one in the forearm by a Pike. As far as casting goes everyone fishes off the same side of the boat, cast overhand, for years in the old days we fished three in a 14' row boat. If you throw side arm (say right shoulder) and your reel engages the guy to the left has a good chance of eating some hooks.
miket55
Posted 5/6/2024 9:27 PM (#1028260 - in reply to #1028252)

chuckski - 5/6/2024 2:33 PM

I've been hooked by a Pike driving a hook thru the side of my middle finger and out the top and my nephew got one in the forearm by a Pike. As far as casting goes everyone fishes off the same side of the boat, cast overhand, for years in the old days we fished three in a 14' row boat. If you throw side arm (say right shoulder) and your reel engages the guy to the left has a good chance of eating some hooks.

Landed an undersize musky in the mid '70s on a Mepps Comet Minno.. It flopped out of the net, I grabbed at it and wound up impaled on two of the barbs sticking out side its jaw. It worked out well, but not so much for the fish.

A brother of mine had a bad habit of standing up to cast in a 14' lodge boat back then, then sitting down to retrieve. Knowing that, I made a point of looking before I loaded up and fired off a cast. One time I looked, he was seated, so I depressed the button on my trusty Daiwa Magforce reel, loaded up, and fired a treble hook right into his scalp when he decided to jump up for some odd reason, or no apparent reason.

Both times Uncle Bill the ultimate family outdoorsman came to the rescue... Gawd we were dumbasses back then.

Edited by miket55 5/6/2024 9:30 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)