Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Attaching braid to reel

Message Subject: Attaching braid to reel
mm3
Posted 3/31/2024 7:50 AM (#1027379)
Subject: Attaching braid to reel

I used to use tape and an Arbor Knot to attach braid to reel. Reel repair service recommends mono to reel and then mono to braid knot. Not sure what size mono and knots to use.

Can you tell me how you all do it?
RyanJoz
Posted 3/31/2024 7:53 AM (#1027380 - in reply to #1027379)
Subject: Re: Attaching braid to reel

20 lb mono and a uni-knot to uni-knot have worked very well for me. I put two layers of mono on and then the rest braid. When I need line, I pull the braid off and add more backing with uni knots and then put the braid back on. This prevents you from throwing it away when you get to a cast worth of braid if you only put on 50 yards or so.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/31/2024 11:26 AM (#1027383 - in reply to #1027379)

I do the loose over spool and than unspool and crank it down method.
Mono to spool I do an arbor knot and depending on the reel diameter determines how much mono I'm putting on. Basically small reels get 2-6 layers of mono. 400+ size get filled to consume 1/3 approximately of the total volume. Line doesn't matter really,anything from 6-20lb id say is fine, the lighter it is the more yds go on,the further I have to walk later. Mono to braid I tie a Double Uni/Uni splice knot. Here again the jointing knot doesn't matter, your never fishing with the Mono core anyways. I tie with a stronger knot because of what comes next. Loosely Fill the spool so the line is roughly 1/8"over filled, alot of reels will stop because of line rubbing anyways. Small reels I can string out at home, big reels I gotta go up to an abandoned soccer field. Tie the line to something, pop the bail and start walking. Once your completely unspooled, have your drag maxed out keep lots of tension on the line with your rod elevated. Start reeling in and walking. When you get to your splice knot make sure you manipulate it so it sits center on the bail. Than keep going until your done. Line should have compressed down so your not overflowing anymore, sometimes I might have to cut just a few feet off.
RyanJoz
Posted 3/31/2024 4:34 PM (#1027387 - in reply to #1027379)

I should have said also arbor knot to spool, but I use one of the spool tension devices sold by Stealth Tackle. Prevents all the walking. I set it to maximum tension.
hahdawg
Posted 4/1/2024 8:59 AM (#1027394 - in reply to #1027387)

If you can tie the FG knot, it's good for tying backing to main line because it's much thinner and stronger than any other knot. A thick knot can cause a bulge in your braid, which is bad for a number of reasons. Plus, if there's any chance that you end up having to rely on your backing (e.g., you ocean fish, snag a huge sturgeon, etc), you'll be glad you used the FG knot. The modified albright knot is also good, but it's thicker than the FG.

I've had bass break several uni-to-unis, so I wouldn't use that.
chuckski
Posted 4/1/2024 10:30 AM (#1027402 - in reply to #1027379)

I've done it both ways, braid to reel with Arbor knot electrical tape to the spool, Arbor knot backing with electrical tape to the spool then a double uniknot on the lines. I always use heavy enough line for backing just in case you get down there.
A friend own a tackle shop in northern Colorado and in his back room he does a lot of subcontract work for Eagle Craw a friend and I watched in horror as he tapped the line to spool on preriged rod and reel combo.(at least tie it to the spool)
CincySkeez
Posted 4/1/2024 1:50 PM (#1027410 - in reply to #1027402)

Arbot knot and tape, only thing I do different is use Alberto knot to join braid and backing. Lays down nice.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 4/3/2024 11:09 AM (#1027436 - in reply to #1027379)

I was having a problem with this and didn’t think about it so I put braid straight on the reel so when I called okuma guy said use electrical tape or mono. So I used 20lb mono clinch knot to braid.
Flatlite
Posted 4/18/2024 4:30 PM (#1027866 - in reply to #1027379)

For 400 sized reels I go with about 1/3% spool of 12lb mono & then a double uni-knot transition to 80lb braid.
Handy1
Posted 4/21/2024 1:14 PM (#1027960 - in reply to #1027379)

I use electrical tape wrapped to spool, braid tied with arbor knot, then four alternating half hitches. I have done it this way since the 80's with no issues.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)