Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Frying of the fish.

Message Subject: Frying of the fish.
chuckski
Posted 3/27/2024 10:25 AM (#1027274)
Subject: Frying of the fish.

When eating fish, do you go to a mom and pop fish fry?, or somewhere like Culvers?, or do you go on a fishing trip And how often?, and how much do you keep?
kdawg
Posted 3/27/2024 10:31 AM (#1027275 - in reply to #1027274)
Subject: RE: Frying of the fish.

All the above. How much do I keep? My family, on average usually has 2 or 3 fish fries of our own per season. Kdawg
sworrall
Posted 3/27/2024 11:58 AM (#1027281 - in reply to #1027275)
Subject: RE: Frying of the fish.

Sue and I eat fish a couple times a week during the Summer and a few times a month during the winter. It's usually freshly caught. We take home what we can eat, usually two meals worth at about a dozen average size pannies.
miket55
Posted 3/27/2024 5:21 PM (#1027292 - in reply to #1027274)
Subject: Re: Frying of the fish.

I've been avoiding chain restaurants for more than a few years now. In my area there are two places I'll eat seafood at, both have their stuff flown in three times a week... The traditional fish fry we all know and love are non existent down here, so I make it a point to partake every Friday night at one of several Northwoods taverns when I'm up there..
pstrombe
Posted 3/27/2024 6:07 PM (#1027295 - in reply to #1027274)

We generally eat fish twice a week during our Canada trips and on average once a month there after. My wife and I typically eat crappie or perch while at home. Mom and pop fish fries a couple times a year. I did not bring any fish back from Canada 3 of 4 trips last year.
Musky-Slayer
Posted 3/27/2024 8:29 PM (#1027299 - in reply to #1027274)

Twice a year I take 4 walleyes, enough for a meal for my dad and myself. Local bars/restaurants for Friday Fish Fry's at least once or twice a month works for me. Bars I'll stick to walleye or cod, Texas roadhouse for catfish. And blackened Trout at the better restaurants.
jdsplasher
Posted 3/27/2024 9:32 PM (#1027301 - in reply to #1027299)

Rarely eat fish at a restaurant. We keep small pike from Canada , Great Lakes perch, or local gills. Eat fish dinners once every week or 2 depending of the success of catching.

JD

esoxaddict
Posted 3/28/2024 11:09 AM (#1027317 - in reply to #1027274)

I'll bring home whatever eater size pike we catch in Canada. On WI trips we pick a day for a fish fry and fish until we have enough to eat. Sometimes that's walleye, sometimes perch, other times it's beggars banquet. That's how we discovered pike aren't so bad after all, large mouth bass taste just like they smell, and rock bass are just plain nasty. Also how we discovered that crayfish are good to eat, but that may have been the amount of beer involved that day. I stay away from restaurant fish for the most part, any anything store bought.
miket55
Posted 3/28/2024 11:21 AM (#1027318 - in reply to #1027317)

esoxaddict - 3/28/2024 12:09 PM

Also how we discovered that crayfish are good to eat, but that may have been the amount of beer involved that day.

Had to have my fix at least once every trip to the Greater New Orleans/Acadiana Region.. The best places are off the beaten path.

Edited by miket55 3/28/2024 11:24 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(2edd.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2edd.jpg (61KB - 5 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 3/28/2024 12:13 PM (#1027319 - in reply to #1027318)

Will go out a few times a year and catch enough crappie for a meal. Blue gills are just starting to rebound on the chain where I live, so stay focused on crappie. But, DNR announced last month that we have a fish advisory because of pollution from PFAS. Apparently the paper mill dumped waste, with a permit, about five miles away and it has made its way into the surface water as well as ground water. Low risk but they do recommend no more than one meal a month of panfish.
For salmon, buy it from a local store but raised in S. Wisconsin. My sister spent over 30 years in the Alaskan seafood industry, mostly in quality control, and she checked into the company and said she thought it was the best quality farmed salmon she had seen. Even in Alaska, they are starting to find high levels of pollutants in some of the longer lived species, like halibut.
CincySkeez
Posted 3/28/2024 12:22 PM (#1027320 - in reply to #1027319)

Last fish fry I bought was at Brokaw Corners, dang....

When I eat fish these days it's usually one of those darn silver fish they stock in the Great Lakes, pier fishing season is here!

gimruis
Posted 3/28/2024 3:41 PM (#1027325 - in reply to #1027274)

I ate so much fried fish growing up I #*^@ near vomit at the sheer thought of it nowadays. Deep fried fish dipped in tartar sauce isn't even fish. You might as well deep fry hot dogs.

Baked or grilled fish is more appealing to me nowadays, and healthier. Saltwater fish is way better too but I don't get the chance to eat that very often.
TCESOX
Posted 3/28/2024 4:58 PM (#1027327 - in reply to #1027274)

St. Paul, being the Catholic town (Minneapolis is the Protestant town), has tons of really good fish fry places during lent. For your classic British fish and chips, Mac's Fish and Chips is the go to. Choice of walleye, cod, or halibut. I usually have a couple meals worth of walleye, crappie, and pike, in the freezer. If I'm out, and want fish, I just go to the neighborhood lake and catch a couple 17 to 19 inch put and take walleye they stock as fry every year.
miket55
Posted 3/28/2024 9:55 PM (#1027329 - in reply to #1027325)

gimruis - 3/28/2024 4:41 PM

I ate so much fried fish growing up I #*^@ near vomit at the sheer thought of it nowadays. Deep fried fish dipped in tartar sauce isn't even fish. You might as well deep fry hot dogs.

Baked or grilled fish is more appealing to me nowadays, and healthier. Saltwater fish is way better too but I don't get the chance to eat that very often.

Bought an air fryer last year, and have been tinkering with perch and crappie fillets... So far Panko crumb coating is the frontrunner.. and prefer a ketchup/horseradish/hot sauce mix, for gently dipping..
gimruis
Posted 3/29/2024 8:29 AM (#1027334 - in reply to #1027274)

Its the breading or batter that turns me off. I'm sure it would be better and healthier in an air fryer, but freshwater fish is just not doing it for me anymore.

I catch so many snot rocket pike every season I really should start keeping some of those. The daily bag limit where I fish in MN is 10. They are abundant and very easy to catch.

Smoked lake trout or salmon is pretty good. But just like with saltwater fish, I rarely get the chance at that.
North of 8
Posted 3/29/2024 8:37 AM (#1027335 - in reply to #1027334)

Don't know how you feel about pickled food but guy I knew who fished Winnebago would pickle pike. The bone desolve and is supposed to be quite healthy. I had some his wife brought to a pot luck and it was way better than herring or other pickled fish.
chuckski
Posted 3/29/2024 8:35 PM (#1027359 - in reply to #1027274)

As a kid living in California 1960's, 70's and 80's we had a chain of Fish restaurants H Salt ESQ. English Fish and Chips we ate at and it was good and of course we hit it hard during Lent. At one time they were owned by KFC and were all over the place. If you so to California now there's only a hand full left all these years later.
I would spend summers in the Eagle River as a teenager at my grandparents and we had fish twice a week (mostly Crappie, Perch, along with a few Walleyes and a rare Pike) by the end of the summer I would buy myself a Tombstone Pizza to have on one of the fish nights because I would be sick of fish. During to 1990's and up to 2010 when going to Wisconsin I would get off work by 12:00 PM on Thursday drive straight thru the night and get to Northern Wisconsin by noon Friday stop at R&H and get a few lures and our fishing Licence, Then off to a action lake get a couple muskies (hopefully) come back to the resort and off to Honey Bear by Eagle River for fish fry. When fishing Canada we would take a couple afternoons off from Muskies to catch walleyes for a couple of fish fries. Back at home I used to have a boat and I would catch Perch in both open water or thru the ice. For years from the time I moved to Colorado in the early 1990's there was a place out between Boulder and Golden where they had a Friday night fish fry (Walleye, Perch or Catfish) and Leinenkugels on tap and they showed all the Packer games on satellite on Sunday before the days of Sunday Ticket in 2015 they had kitchen fire and closed down for a couple years with insurance hassles, zoning ECT, somehow it reopened and employee ended up owning the business. (the person who owned the Bar Business didn't own the building) they remodeled the place and changed the whole fell so everyone got on the internet if you are a true Packer fan "STAY OUT" between that and the pandemic the place went under. They even tried a go fund me to stay open. Now a third place is in there but it's a place to buy a $20 hamburger but no fish fry.
southern comfort
Posted 3/30/2024 9:39 AM (#1027360 - in reply to #1027274)

I take 3 trips to Northern WI each year. Will stop for a fish fry each week. I am picky and will only go to places that have perch. Otherwise will bring home a few walleye filets from the fishing trip.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/30/2024 10:48 AM (#1027363 - in reply to #1027274)

Are Rusty Crays any good eating?

Cats and bullhead are my favorite fried. I don't care for trout or salmon in any fashion. Bout the only time I eat fish is when my brother hosts a family fish fry. In which case I prefer Largemouth over panfish and pike. Yeah im weird i know, no clue where my southern palate comes from.I never order fish from a restaurant. I did pickup up a bag of Frozen Flounder from Woodmans and I must say I gotta get more; cheap,quick,easy meal. All in all maybe eat fish 5-10times a year.

EA> I heard Rock bass are good eating?

Gimruis> Been kinda thinking the same thing, time to start keeping the Snakes.

North of 8
Posted 3/30/2024 10:55 AM (#1027364 - in reply to #1027363)

A bar and grill just north of Rhinelander used to have northern pike on their Friday fish fry menu and it was very popular, even though it cost a bit more than perch. But, they lost their supplier about two years ago and never found another source. Supposed to have come from Canada.
gimruis
Posted 4/1/2024 10:21 AM (#1027401 - in reply to #1027335)

North of 8 - 3/29/2024 8:37 AM

Don't know how you feel about pickled food but guy I knew who fished Winnebago would pickle pike. The bone desolve and is supposed to be quite healthy. I had some his wife brought to a pot luck and it was way better than herring or other pickled fish.

I've had pickled pike and yes its very good! The filets are actually firmer than store bought pickled herring. A friend of mine gives me a couple jars of it every season and the smaller pike are perfect for it. I've never done it myself. I really should.
chuckski
Posted 4/1/2024 10:39 AM (#1027404 - in reply to #1027274)

As a kid the resort across the lake a bottle of pickled egg's in the bar and before my time they had Pike too according to my dad.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/1/2024 1:43 PM (#1027409 - in reply to #1027274)

7.62 Jay:

I always heard that, too. No reason to think otherwise until one of then hit the net on a slow day when we didn't have enough fish for a meal. "How bad can it be?" We figured the pike would be the worst of the lot. Granted it was the only rock bass I've ever eaten, but out of the whole plate the rock bass was the only thing we ate that night that just wasn't good. It's a shame, too, because we catch a lot of them smallmouth fishing.

Bullheads are actually pretty good, too. Hardly worth the effort of cleaning them, but when the sun's going down, bugs are getting bad, and you don't have enough fish to make a meal 'ya start getting desperate.

I know - there's always the bar or a local restaurant, but I'd really feel like a loser if I had to get a burger on fish fry day because we couldn't even catch enough fish to eat one meal!
North of 8
Posted 4/1/2024 4:42 PM (#1027412 - in reply to #1027409)

It has been decades since I had bullheads, but I remember them being good. Came out of a clear, spring fed lake in the Harrison Hills. The ones we kept were in the 12-14" range. My uncle would skin and filet them. And yes, it looked like a lot of work, even if you knew what you were doing.
ILESOX
Posted 4/11/2024 9:37 PM (#1027657 - in reply to #1027274)

ill catch a couple eater sized pike a year, if i get into some good gills or crappie i might keep a few, same with walleyes, honestly pike are probably my favorite fish, especially pike through the ice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)