Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I got it, I got it" me with my first musky, my dad "is it still on?" me- "its still thrashin and I'm still pullin"
- (Added by: CM_IA)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Two more heading north

Message Subject: Two more heading north
Gringo Loco
Posted 3/4/2024 6:15 PM (#1026876)
Subject: Two more heading north

A couple more lures for fishing in Alaska, 12", basswood, one rattle chamber, acrylic lips. One has heavy glow paint mixed with epoxy for fishing down deep.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSCN5084-1.jpg)

(DSCN5086-1.jpg)

(DSCN5087-1.jpg)

(DSCN5086-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN5084-1.jpg (140KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments DSCN5086-1.jpg (134KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments DSCN5087-1.jpg (147KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments DSCN5086-1.jpg (134KB - 11 downloads)
7.62xJay
Posted 3/4/2024 6:46 PM (#1026877 - in reply to #1026876)
Subject: Re: Two more heading north

Both look great but I'd pick the glow paint one myself.

How many are you bringing up there in total and which month can we expect to hear of your results?
Gringo Loco
Posted 3/7/2024 10:19 AM (#1026915 - in reply to #1026877)

I'm shipping 7 up, 4 for the skipper I fish with and our party, and three for a captain I used to fish with. Our party fishes in mid-August and since these lures are an offbeat deviation from standard practices I don't expect them to be used prior to our arrival.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 3/7/2024 10:29 AM (#1026916 - in reply to #1026876)

What will they be catching on them they look like some wild colors.
Gringo Loco
Posted 3/9/2024 10:45 AM (#1026954 - in reply to #1026916)

Colors don't mean that much when you're fishing in 500+ feet of water. These lures are meant for large halibut, lingcod, and short rakers. They are about the right size to emulate sea bass and other forms of bait, the large lips will provide a swimming motion and activate the internal rattles to provide underwater vibrations, and a strip of pink salmon attached to the front hook will provide smell which is probably the primary attractant down deep. Those lures with glow paint will also provide additional visibility in waters with very little light penetration. Over the years I've used homemade jigs/bait coated with glow paint and consistently outfished the meat sticks with just bait. It remains to be seen if the lures with their motion and rattles will be competitive. You won't know if you don't try.
7.62xJay
Posted 3/9/2024 11:19 AM (#1026955 - in reply to #1026876)

I'm not familiar with saltwater whatsoever but from what I have seen-people are always jigging for Halibut. Since you are trying a different approach,(which I think is really awesome by the way). And a large one at that:
What are the chances you hook into a large non target species up there, and if so what species are potential? Something like a shark or Orca? Purely just curious. Be kinda neat if you found yourself in a position of say our equivalent of bass fisherman accidentally hooking a large Pike/Muskie/Gar.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 3/9/2024 12:12 PM (#1026956 - in reply to #1026876)

I would think in salt anything could grab one. interesting.
Gringo Loco
Posted 3/9/2024 6:31 PM (#1026963 - in reply to #1026955)

There are both blue sharks (quite a few) and salmon sharks (relatively rare) up in Sitka that you might hook. You absolutely don't want to hook an orca or a sea lion because they will strip every bit of your line off the reel in nothing flat. It isn't unusual for sea lions to hang around charter boats and when someone hooks a salmon they go out and grab it. I've had a reel cleaned (once) in such an encounter.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)