Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Club Speaker Questions.....

Message Subject: Club Speaker Questions.....
vegas492
Posted 2/29/2024 10:10 AM (#1026798)
Subject: Club Speaker Questions.....

Hey everyone, I'm looking for opinions. I know everyone has one and they all stink, however......

We (Muskies Inc/Milwaukee) have about 6-7 speakers a year. Typically our highest priced ones are in January and February, then our lower cost and more "local" speakers are March-October...taking some months off in the summer.

We get anywhere from 12-50 folks at our meetings. More in January and February, less later on. We have guys come in to explain electronics, lure manufacturers, guides....etc.

What is it that you as a musky community would want to see for a 1 hour to 1.5 hour seminar? (that is free to attend)

We want to boost attendance at our meetings, and it's been really tough after Covid. I know our chapter isn't alone in that regard.

We do email marketing, we post on facebook. Last month Steve helped us out on this site and it was one our better attended seminars (Steve Heiting). Only Jeff Hanson has pulled folks in like Steve did over the past 3 years or so.

I guess I'm looking for tips and thoughts as to how to boost attendance at these events.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
happy hooker
Posted 2/29/2024 12:44 PM (#1026801 - in reply to #1026798)
Subject: RE: Club Speaker Questions.....

Same thing with the twin cities chapter which was the original chapter that started muskies inc.
The next generation is now used to getting everything on line. We don't even have musky hunter magazine anymore would you have imagined that 10 years ago. I think what also factors in is live scope and who can afford to have the most and best elecronics and if you can't then there's not much you can do to keep up,not what I want but I'm seeing the mindset.
It's a stay home get everything on line world for the next generation.
BillM
Posted 2/29/2024 2:42 PM (#1026803 - in reply to #1026798)
Subject: Re: Club Speaker Questions.....

You gotta pay guys to attend your meetings and speak? Never knew that was a thing. We get all kinds of speakers for our local Muskies Canada Barrie chapter. Local guides, MNR Biologists, bait makers, etc. We usually have a tackle swap as well, etc. It's great excuse to get out once a month, have a drink and talk muskies with like minded folks. Our attendance has been pretty steady.
TCESOX
Posted 2/29/2024 5:11 PM (#1026805 - in reply to #1026798)

We usually get a little bump up from most speakers, when the DNR comes, although the guides get the biggest attendance.
sworrall
Posted 2/29/2024 5:12 PM (#1026806 - in reply to #1026798)

Social Media helps. This place is an example, set up 22 years ago as a social media experiment before the term existed. Make sure everyone in the Chapter shares the content to their pages, get it to the Muskies Inc social media guy (me), to the MI magazine and newsletter in advance (Amy), and complete the circuit with direct email blasts. If baits are going to be donated, ask the bait source to post to their FB and Instagram.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/29/2024 8:57 PM (#1026810 - in reply to #1026798)

Maybe chapters should be doing a podcast? They are very popular..
jdsplasher
Posted 2/29/2024 9:55 PM (#1026811 - in reply to #1026810)

Unfortunately; The threat of tornadoes & Golf ball size Hail didn’t Help the cause Tuesday either.
mikie
Posted 3/1/2024 9:45 AM (#1026815 - in reply to #1026798)

Prolly too many guys out fishing that front!
Our chapter's most popular speakers have been from both Ohia and West Virginia DNR's. Dunno if you can get big shots from the capital to come but check out your local and hatchery folks. m
CincySkeez
Posted 3/1/2024 9:56 AM (#1026816 - in reply to #1026811)

It's hard to find engaging speakers these days. Even harder to find people willing to donate time to speak that know what they are talking about.
chuckski
Posted 3/1/2024 10:47 AM (#1026819 - in reply to #1026798)

Well my old Colorado Muskies INC chapter has been gone for pushing twenty years and even at the end we had a harder time of finding speakers. Covid maybe changed peoples behavers and maybe the price of gas and how the younger folks go about doing things. I miss the old days. (things changed at a slower pace)
vegas492
Posted 3/1/2024 2:39 PM (#1026823 - in reply to #1026811)

jdsplasher - 2/29/2024 9:55 PM

Unfortunately; The threat of tornadoes & Golf ball size Hail didn’t Help the cause Tuesday either.

Steve Heiting still filled the room up. I think we were just under 50 attendees.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 3/1/2024 6:15 PM (#1026829 - in reply to #1026798)

It's a different time now thats for sure. I feel sorry for the clubs trying to hold things together. It must get frustrating. For what it's worth I haven't found anything on FB to my liking. I prefer these old school forum sites.
ToddM
Posted 3/7/2024 11:28 AM (#1026917 - in reply to #1026798)

Over the past 10 years or so it's become difficult to find new speakers as well as a few of the old ones. Many won't even respond when you make an inquiry. The younger crowd and guides use social media and are not interested in participating. You are much better off keeping a good group of speakers that are willing to show up and just rotate them. Every once awhile if you have a pounder thrower on stage you can get a few younger people in but just for them.
ToddM
Posted 3/8/2024 9:14 AM (#1026928 - in reply to #1026917)

ToddM - 3/7/2024 11:28 AM

Over the past 10 years or so it's become difficult to find new speakers as well as a few of the old ones. Many won't even respond when you make an inquiry. The younger crowd and guides use social media and are not interested in participating. You are much better off keeping a good group of speakers that are willing to show up, respond back when contactex and just rotate them. Every once awhile if you have a pounder thrower on stage you can get a few younger people in but just for them.
Manta18
Posted 3/18/2024 8:11 AM (#1027096 - in reply to #1026798)

Heck.......was a member of a chapter for a few years, took a break and then just recently rejoined and choose that chapter. Have never heard anything from that chapter. Thinking about changing chapters to see if another out there is bettter.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)